Just venting

(Jennifer M Palacios) #21

Most definitely…I think I need some time to chill out. Obsessing over everything sometimes gets my nerves and anxiety all worked up and then I forget how proud I am for the 9 pounds and 1 dress size I have lost.

(Jennifer M Palacios) #22

On an average day my macros look a little like 13.1g net carbs, 83g of fat, 86g protein and about 1400 calories.

I really don’t snack throughout the day. Breakfast and lunch keep me satisfied until dinner.

Now I did hurt my foot awhile back and since then walking/jogging long distances just kills me. So I really haven’t been very active. So maybe that is playing a role in the way my body is losing weight.

(Jennifer M Palacios) #23

Yep…sometimes I forget to give myself kudos.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

That reminds me of something I read recently, to the effect that deciding some reading is a marker for some condition is dangerous, because it leads us to try to manipulate the marker, rather than deal with the real condition. (Sort of like cheating on the test, instead of actually learning the material, I guess.) It’s easy to focus on body composition numbers and forget that the real goal is better health, and that body composition is just an indicator among many.

(Jennifer M Palacios) #25

On an average day my macros look a little like 13.1g net carbs, 83g of fat, 86g protein and about 1400 calories.

I did hurt my foot about a month ago, so I haven’t been too active. I should get myself to the doctor and see what it is because even walking at work most days is painful.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #26

That would be tough for me, too. Fortunately, I do fine with dairy and eat lots of it. In fact it’s my major single food group. If you eliminate it for a week or two and things improve, you could try adding back some hard cheese with zero carbs like grana padano or parmigiano reggiano or Boursin Bouquet of Basil, which is a soft zero carb cheese.

Yeah… have that foot checked out for sure. Pain would add to your stress.

I am your height I think and I lost eating slightly less than you but not by much. I was very active though so that helps. Building muscle helps. It is easier to maintain if you have a good burn later on as well. Something I like to do is to switch things up a bit… not do the same thing… Maybe a high carb day, a high calorie day, a longer fast … Anyways that is my story.

(Jennifer M Palacios) #28

Yes, I feel like that is definitely going to be my next step. I will have to start tomorrow since my coffee had HWC and my eggs had a little cheese this morning.

Is there anything other than HWC (dairy free) I can put in my coffee to make it somewhat enjoyable? I love coffee but I don’t think I can drink it black.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #29

You could try coconut and/or MCT oil but use a blender or you’ll end up drinking an oil slick. Also, start with very small amounts and work up.

You could also try different coffees and brewing methods. One of the most significant things I did was switch from hot brewing to cold brewing. Even the exact same coffee can taste very different when cold brewed. You still drink it hot, of course. But the important thing is to get it off the grounds before heating.

(Jennifer M Palacios) #30

I do have coconut oil so maybe tomorrow morning I will give it a try. Awesome! Thanks!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

Also, a small amount of salt in the coffee is supposed to temper the bitterness.

The old-fashioned method of boiling the grounds and then adding a couple of eggshells is supposed to not only settle the grounds (so they don’t get poured into the cup), but also to improve the flavour. (Never tried it myself.)

(Karen) #32

Or perhaps coconut or almond milk for the coffee? Try it as a latte this way.

I must admit when I first started drinking black coffee (stopped drinking it a few years ago) I had to experiment with the strength to make it palatable. I found that the stronger it was the more flavour there was. Oh and soon realised when I was given a cheap brand. Wasn’t keen on instant preferring filter and can remember on many occasions when out in cafes/restaurants, having to ask for it to be made stronger … so.e people just have no idea how to brew a good cuppa hahahaha… blimey I am so fussy!

(Jennifer M Palacios) #33

Salt in my coffee, that is very interesting and might just give it a try. I usually have a little pink salt in my first 32oz. of water in the mornings.

(Jennifer M Palacios) #34

I completely forgot about the other mils. Yes…I have both coconut and almond milk in my fridge now.

Cream is the best but when I didn’t use it, I tried things.
Butter is better than nothing but you should blend it well to make it creamy…
I often drank my coffee with egg too…
And I tried gelatin, well blended, it made it foamy but it had absolutely no taste.
I never even saw MCT oil but some people like that in coffee.
Oh and I drank it with coconut milk in the past too… Or almond/coconut milk. I wouldn’t do it again, it’s cream or nothing for me. But a not really bitter brand made very weak as I like, it’s drinkable black. Just not good.

But you can survive a little time (maybe you find something you like) and maybe you can add back some drops…? But way after the stuff without lactose. So many cheese has 0 carb! (And others quite much, life is like that. But my Gouda is 0 carb, even the young one.)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #36

Coconut milk might be OK, but read the label carefully! There’s not much fat and often lots of carbs. I’d avoid almond milk and almonds generally due to PUFA content. You can purchase coconut cream, usually canned. It contains about 23% fat. But again read labels carefully. Canned coconut cream is aimed at a predominantly Asian audience and they seem to like lots of added sugar.

(Jennifer M Palacios) #37

I will make sure to read labels and I think I remember a specific brand of coconut cream that was pretty low in carbs.

Good ideas! :raised_hands:

Those numbers seem good, may just have to play with them and see what gets the needle moving. Maybe add some protein and drop a little fat.

Silk makes a dairy free Heavy Whipping Cream (coconut based), It’s actually pretty good. I went with that for a while but now go with the Sugar free flavored coffee creamers from International Delight. I basically Caramel Macchiato and French Vanilla everything now. They’re fine macro wise, but if you nitpick ingredients many wouldn’t use them. For me, not enough in there to matter and it lets be pull my fat down more so I’m not obsessing about it. I drink a decent amount of it and haven’t had a single negative from them.

(Jennifer M Palacios) #39

I have been staying away from the SF flavored coffee creamers because I was scared of the artificial sweeteners in them but my husband uses them in his coffee and he has lost 25 pounds, he is also doing Keto. So, that is very interesting. I am also going to see if I can find the Silk one you mentioned.

Super awesome! Thanks!

When I drank my coffee with coconut milk, I always made fresh coconut milk, almost every day, it’s little work but of course, not everyone has the mood for making it, I wouldn’t do it now either (but I got bored of it anyway and I can tolerate some much better cream).
Coconut milk is very sweet (I think I drank a not homemade one once, that wasn’t so much), it’s almost surprising people add sugars but of course, people eat every sweet things insanely sweet. Do they pour sugar on pear too I wonder… (I try to remind myself that I ate sugar and honey with a tablespoon at one point… It was eons ago, it feels…)