Just starting Carnivore - suddenly feeling repulsed by meat / or even perhaps all food

Good morning, Fas!

1. During changing to Carnivore, perhaps your body/hormones/microbiome undergoes some changes and I had wondered if this meat/food aversion/revulsion might a ‘stage’ that people go through when transitioning to Carnivore? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I was strict keto and still had to undergo a transition switching to carnivore. From what little I’ve read, others have had some kind of transitioning period as well.

1. I think whatever I eat/drink first in the day, sets the ‘tone’ for my hunger/taste buds. If I drink eg Almond Milk first - I want more of that, but if I drink Bone Broth first, I want more of that! I’m going to experiment with eating meat/fish first and see if that works too!

Yes, that is how I am too. I make my own bone broth and absolutely love to begin my day with that. Then a nice meaty/fat breakfast and my day is off to a great start. Sets the ‘tone’ as you said.

1. Maybe this is what non-addiction to food feels like somehow. Maybe hunger somehow changes on Carnivore? I feel like, all of a sudden, I might just need to eat a lot less. Maybe I need to feel REALLY hungry before I try eating. Other, more general feelings of hunger might just be the clock or other ‘less-real’ forms of hunger. How much meat are people generally eating on Carnivore? I seem to be maxing out at around 500g/1lb p/day in 1-2 sittings. I was thinking this was too little - but maybe it’s fine?

I am new to the carnivore diet coming from strict keto, but I’m amazed at how all my “cravings” have left. Amazes me!! I’m very satiated after breakfast and don’t eat again until around 3pm. That meal keeps me happy until the next morning. I max out around 1lb or a little less each day too. I was afraid it was too little but others end up eating around the same amount and they’ve done well. I eat when I’m hungry and I don’t eat when I’m not. That worked with regular keto and I’m trusting it to work with the carnivore diet too. I do wonder if, after a period of time goes by, my appetite may increase? It will be interesting to see if that happens.

1. One of the main things I’m struggling to balance is ‘Eat when you’re hungry’ and the ‘Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail’ conundrum of prepping food that’s ready for that elusive time when you may or may not be hungry much later in the day… :face_with_monocle: What kind of Carnivore foods do people prep to eat later cold?

It’s weird how one’s taste buds change on this diet and so quickly too. I’ve never been fond of ground beef (unless smothered in lots of condiments and onions, pickles or in sloppy Joe’s, chili, etc) but now I love to cook up some burger and put it in the fridge. I’m on the Carnivore/PKD so I need a LOT of fat. I buy a 55% ground beef that has heart added and to me that tastes great cold. I use it for meals and for a carnivore quick ‘fat bomb’ if my meal didn’t quite fill me up. Cold pemican, cold pork belly, cold leftover steak, etc, all work for me. Don’t forget seafood too like canned sardines, and so on.

It’s this type of obnoxious “I’m holier than thou because I eat nothing but meat” that keeps me from eating nothing but meat. I’m afraid I’ll turn into one of you. You people truly are obnoxious.

My friend, I was regular keto for 3 years and I saw quite a few episodes of “Keto Police” on keto forums during that time, lol. No matter what ‘diet’ or WOE someone may decide to walk in, you’ll always find some folks who are more adamant about it than others are. Don’t let that stop you from eating the way your body needs you to eat. :smile: I hope you’ll continue to post and add to the conversation here. :+1:

just some comments to the post

(hottie turned hag) #25

Fixed it for you :blush:

People BE dat way, there are annoying zealots in any group. (not meaning you, @Elizedge)
Why my misanthropy is not age, race, religion nor gender restricted. I loathe all homo sapiens equally :skull:

BlueV, while I agree with the general cloud of that sometimes, I have to say Elizedge was far from that. Not even close. None of us warranted an attack like that. just sayin’ my thoughts on it.

(hottie turned hag) #27

Oh no doubt. I was speaking generally :grin:

oh oh thank you then for clarifying :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

(Katie) #29

This may seem very basic, but is it that you are simply satiated? Meat/Protein can be difficult to eat if you are simply not hungry. Usually people can eat further past satiety if they are consuming carbohydrates.

(Robert C) #30

Just something you might look in to is “orthorexia”.

This can really mess up eating patterns.

On the internet it is very easy to look up almost any food and find problems with it - leading to more and more issues with just about any food.

For example, maybe you’ve never run into a negative article on almond milk (that you believed) but, meat gives you heart problems, fish is full of mercury, fruits are loaded with sugar, vegetables have poisons to avoid being eaten, rice is essentially glucose etc.

Carnivore may seem “safe” but males and females after menopause should look out for iron overload. Also, what if your gut microbiome doesn’t work well (after years of abuse) and the vitamin C most people can derive from meat isn’t what you can get - low vitamin C might become a problem. Of course you can supplement but then there is the “If you need to supplement, is the diet right for you?” thing.

Maybe some leafy greens and mostly meat is your sweet spot. Maybe some sweet potato or a “big salad” a few times a month corrects several things. Getting too restrictive might not be the best solution for an otherwise healthy person. Several famous people have recovered from some serious problems with Carnivore but, if you do not have a serious problem, is it best? Taking Advil when you do not have a headache or some other pain is similar to starting Carnivore (similar to an elimination diet) without a severe ulcerative colitis issue (for example).

Hahaha…nope still ain’t buying it. Regardless, though, of whether or not you loathe us some of us around here are fond of you. Deal with it! :smile:

(Elizabeth ) #32

which famous individuals had to recover from carnivore? And how long were they eating 100% meat only? And were they eating the recommended amount of about 2 lb a day? I am well past menopause at age 63 and have been fully carnivore for nearly 2 years. I get complete lab work including advanced panels every 6 months and my doctor has become a low carb doctor because of my results. Her exact wording is that I am reversing four decades of metabolic damage. I don’t think very many people need to be carnivore, I think a low carb is ideal for the majority. But for those of us that are regardless of age we thrive. www.meatheals.com I would never talk anybody into eating carnivore unless they had tried everything and were at their wits end.

(Susan) #33

@BlueViolet

THIS!! Yes, we all think you are an awesome lady, and I for one am very glad that you are back, I missed you =).

(Robert C) #34

I think I sent the message wrong - several famous people recovered BECAUSE they started Carnivore. But, still, such an extreme limiting diet may not be best for everyone.

I’m your age and am enjoying carnivore/PKD but there is no way that I could eat 2 pounds a day. I don’t know if that’s because of gut issues I’m hoping to see healed or whatever but right around a pound is the best I can do. That’s another reason why I include lots of organ meats. Maybe down the road I’ll be able to eat 2 pounds too. :smiley: Thank you for your reply, hon.

(Elizabeth ) #36

there’s a lot more than several people😁 I mod a Facebook group with 15,000 members that’s been around for 12 years and in that group alone there are over 200 that have been carnivore for 5 years or longer. there’s a couple that started eating nothing but muscle meat over 21 years ago He’s now 63 and she’s 47 they’re also raising their children carnivore. They both look 20 years younger than their actual ages. and there’s more than a few 10 plus year carnivore veterans. No this is absolutely is not for everybody, Dr Shawn Baker and Joe Rogan brought a lot of people into this way of eating that just want to be BA’s like them🙄 there’s actually very few people that can tolerate the first 6 months not because it’s restrictive, but because they don’t need to be eating this way.

(Elizabeth ) #37

If you’re eating 2;1 you don’t need to be eating 2 lb of meat. That’s a therapeutic protocol that most people don’t need to be on

I approve of this message, lol.

Ah, okay, thank you for that clarification. I’m still so new at this that I get concerned because at 63 I have a healthy respect for protein. :smiley:

:smile:

(Elizabeth ) #41

If you’re eating a pound of fatty meat plus enough added fat to bring you into the 2000 calorie and above above range you’ll be fine. I personally didn’t start losing weight until I increased to almost 3 lb a day of meat.