Just started the 18:6 fasting

(Derek Reese) #1

This is the first time I am fasting, I am on the second day and I feel great.
I have a huge gut that needs to go.
I’ve been walking 2.5 miles in the morning, eating from 2-8pm then it’s bed time.
My daughter goes to sleep at 8pm so I have to schedule my fasting this way.
I am fifty years old and 216 pounds and I’m only 5ft 9.
Is it ok to do the 18:6 7 days a week ? Also since my eating window is from 2-8pm, is it ok to sleep with all of this food in my belly ?
Lastly I wanted to share what I am eating and drinking with you all ::slight_smile: to see if it’s too much or not enough ?
Water throughout the fast, black coffee, tea and lemon water, then for my eating hours so far I’ve done-
Home made Bone broth
Nuts
Smoothie Shake (banana,apple,milk and wheatgrass.
4 Eggs
2 English muffins
Tilapia
Swiss chard Veggies
Can of chickpeas
2 Celery
2 carrots
5 radish’s
Can of tuna
Mango

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #2

Sure 7 days a week is great.
Welcome to the Forum Derek :grin:
You’ll have 18 hrs available for recovery … We consume toxins and our cell need to replenish. Its hard to do maintenance with the engine still running.
Ever consider the sugar an issue?

(Derek Reese) #3

I don’t really have sugar except for my coffee, no sweets just an enormous appetite lol

(Chuck) #4

I fast every day of the week. My short fast is 18 hours and my long fast is 23 hours. It all depends on my schedule. Sunday is typically my 18 hour fast because it is our family time. Monday is normally my 23 hour fast due to needing a longer recovery time to overcome my Sunday feasting. The rest of the week depends on schedules, but the rest of the week is always at least 19 hours. My hard rules for me is no wheat or other grains other than the occasional rice, no fast food, no highly processed or refined foods. If it isn’t real food, I don’t eat it.

(Derek Reese) #5

Great thank you for this, how about the list of foods I am eating ? Good ? And the fact that I eat from 2-8pm and sleep at 8pm ? No problems there ?

It’s fine to do IF every day if you can eat enough but it doesn’t seem your problem :smiley: Some of us really need a small eating window to avoid eating too much - but there are other reasons to do it, of course.
Do you track your carbs in order to avoid too much sugar from your fruits and carrots? There are quite a few quite high-carb items. It alone isn’t necessarily a problem, I had the same on my original keto but tracking was very much needed. (And it turned out I had to go lower.)

I can’t tell you if it’s much or not as I don’t have any idea about your needs - and I won’t enter this all into somewhere and there aren’t amounts for most things anyway…

Some people only eat right before bed so I suppose all kinds of timings are good for someone… I always sleep very well with a full belly but I have other reasons to stop about 8 hours before my (quite late) bedtime. I have heard about many people that eating too late is bad for them. But it matters that what is convenient. I had a time in my life when I had to eat after 10pm because that was the best option for me. Not ideal but we can’t always have that. If you feel good with this (at least not worse if you try to stop eating earlier), I wouldn’t worry about it.

I can relate… Though I really don’t need any appetite to eat too much, I have skills and my energy need isn’t so big. Good timing and good food choices help. And patience, some experimentation… We are all different and need different methods to reach success.

Good luck!

(Chuck) #7

The food you eat depends on you as an individual, but I don’t go to sleep on a full stomach. I don’t eat after 6pm and if at all possible not after 5pm. I am in bed between 9 an 10pm. I need as much time after I eat before I go to sleep so I can relax and sleep soundly. And as I said before I eat nothing with wheat or other grains except maybe a small amount of rice. I don’t eat bread, bagels, English muffins etc. I also take note of anything that has a tendency to make me hungry or want more and eliminate it from my diet. I don’t count calories or nutrition. If it isn’t real food or made from 100% real food I don’t eat it. I read labels and if it has anything that looks like a chemistry project then I don’t eat it.

(Derek Reese) #8

I’m still learning the various controls on this forum, I am trying to do a general reply, I need to lose at least 50 pounds with fasting, walking and next week starting to exercise.
I don’t have the patience to count carbs, sugars and calories at this moment, I am eating very healthy and staying away from processed food.
I am a stay at home father so I have the time to do this now thank goodness.

(Bob M) #9

That’s a difficult one. Supposedly, moving eating time backward is better. If you’re like me though, with two kids in school, I often eat after 7pm, many times after 8pm, then go to bed shortly after 9pm, get up a bit after 5am. Probably not ideal, but there’s no way to rearrange things.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

It should be. But what time are you going to bed? If you can adjust the timing so that there is a four-hour gap between the end of the meal and going to bed, that is supposed to be optimal. (I haven’t really looked into this, so I can’t explain it, but I know it has something to do with overnight insulin levels.)

I haven’t totted up the calories, but off the top of my head, it doesn’t look like enough. We need at least 1.0-1.5 grams of protein per kg of lean body mass, many people recommend more than that. I weigh 220-something pounds, which is about 100 kg, so I figure I need 80-120 g of protein, which translates to 320-480 g of meat (which is about 1/4 protein, or about 7 g of protein per ounce), more if it’s fish (since the percentage of protein is somewhat less). Be sure to get enough fat to satisfy your hunger; you need the energy, if you’re not getting it from glucose.

As a matter of staying keto, if I were you, I’d take a good look at the amount of carbohydrate in the smoothies, the mango, and the English muffins. Take the total carb amounts and add them all up. The mango and the muffins will have very little fibre anyway, but the fibre in the smoothies has been destroyed by the blending, so you can’t subtract it, it has become digestible. You want your total carb intake to be under 20 g/day, at least in the beginning. Later, you can experiment to figure out your actual carb tolerance, which may be higher than that.

I’m sensing from your menu that you have some objection to eating red meat. However, beef (in particular) has all the essential amino acids in the correct proportions. Protein sources that vary from that limit the availability of the protein to the percentage of the least-available essential amino acid. It is possible to combine proteins to make them more available, but they must be combined at the same meal; it doesn’t work to eat one food in the morning and the other in the evening. The eggs are very complete protein, so enjoy as many of them as you like.

And just for your information: although the government nutrition guidelines don’t explicitly admit this, if you look into it, the “high-quality reference protein” they refer to, and that we are supposed to measure our protein sources against, is actually beef.

Lastly, and this is important if you are trying to lose fat: don’t skimp on calories. The body takes inadequate caloric intake as a sign of famine, which makes it hang on to all its resources as much as it can, to get us safely through. Fasting, on the other hand, does not have that effect, at least according to Dr. Jason Fung, the fasting guru. He advises, “When you fast, fast; when you eat, feast!”

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

An easy way to keep the carbs low is to adhere to Vinnie Tortorich’s mantra, “No Sugar, No Grains, No Starches.” Vinnie is a fitness and nutrition coach, well-known in Hollywood, and an advocate of eating a ketogenic diet. He coined his mantra because he found that his clients often baulked at the word “keto,” but they’d be fine with avoiding the foods in his slogan. He has a couple of videos talking about his experiences with diet and nutrition on YouTube, plus the complete versions of his two documentaries.

In any case, if you stick to whole, real foods and avoid sugar, grains, and starches, you can hardly go wrong.

And I forgot to mention it in my earlier post, welcome to the forums! You’ll get the hang of things quickly. It helps to do the Discobot tutorial, which is a good orientation to the basics of the Discourse software that powers the forums.

(Derek Reese) #12

I love red meat lol, truly I adore all foods and I am not allergic to anything.
Ok I guess I am going to have to put more effort into this with a counting system.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Don’t go bonkers. If you eat real food, you can probably eat what feels right, and things will take care of themselves. Just avoid . . . you guessed it . . . sugar, grains, and starches!

I started by eliminating sugar from my diet, and not worrying about the rest of the carbs. I quickly started to feel so good, that I began to limit my carb intake. Now, several years later, I find that I am mostly carnivore/zero-carb, though with lapses, because I’m a carb addict (interestingly, sugar seems to have lost its power over me, but French fries, yeast bread, and spaghetti are just as tempting as ever, lol!). But I lost 80 lbs./36 kg of fat with absolutely no effort and no calorie-counting, and it’s stayed off for years. I’m a lot older than you appear to be from your avatar, and I only feel creaky and stiff if I overdo the carbs.

(Derek Reese) #14

I don’t ever eats sweets, a treat to me is a loaded cheese and meat board with olives etc, I thought as long as I ate healthily on this 18:6 I would be ok but what your saying makes sense, I’m going to have to figure this out, I’m also Italian American so the thought of never eating pasta scares me lol I’ve been cooking all of my life so this also makes it tough but if I am going to take this seriously I have to put in more work to understand this process.
I’m a singer songwriter (not for money) so I have a recording studio where I try to be musically busy most days, I will take time out to better understand calorie intake sugars etc, you all are great, thank you for the support :pray:

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #15

Derek I don’t count calories and I don’t count anything much but I know whats carb heavy and avoid those things totally.
I stuff myself, I’m never hungry and have lost 17kg in 3 months.
As said, best to avoid sugar and carbs … even most fruit are very high in sugar sadly. But hey, when your munchin on a big steak cooked in butter and cream who cares about missing out on orange juice

(Derek Reese) #16

If I am walking 2.5 miles a day, with an additional hour a day of exercise plus the fasting I should be able to have sugar in my coffee and pasta no ?
My legs and arms are skinny, it’s just this terrible gut I want to lose, I don’t want to get too deep into this, I just want to be healthy

(Derek Reese) #17

I’m going to try an upload a picture of my terrible tummy lol

(Derek Reese) #18

Also the food menu I added was just for one day, I know I have to switch it up so I’m on the way to grab a few steaks :slight_smile:

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #19

Hey Derek that was exactly my body shape recently … I got diagnosed T2 diabetes which was a shock.
I’m not a Dr and I’m new to this Keto, I ate a drank as I wished. Find out your HbA1c then decide how seriously to take things.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

It’s not the amount of exercise or the amount of sugar that’s important, so much as it is the insulin response. Keeping insulin below just under 25 μU/mL is what keeps us in fat-burning mode; above that, we are in fat-storing mode.

How much carbohydrate, sugar, and all that you can safely eat and still keep your insulin low, depends on how healthy your metabolism is. The more insulin-resistant someone is, the greater the insulin response; hence the lower the carb threshold. The more insulin-sensitive someone is, the lower the insulin response, so the higher the carb threshold.

Since insulin can’t be measured at home, we recommend a limit of 20 g/day when starting out. This guarantees success to everyone who’s not extremely insulin-resistant. But many people can certainly tolerate more carbohydrate than that. Unfortunately, while the science is the same, everyone’s body is different, so we each have to find what works.

If you get a bunch of those ketone urine strips from the pharmacy, that’s an easy way to tell if you are in ketosis. And if you are in ketosis, then you are in fat-burning mode, and your insulin is definitely low enough.

Above all, don’t stress out about this. It’s actually pretty easy, once you can relax into it.