Just got into an argument about keto

(Karim Wassef) #62

I got mine to admit it’s an addiction. That’s the first step.

As far as the time goes - “not eating something saves time”… “eating once a day saves time”…

Hard to argue without accepting the addiction component.

(traci simpson) #63

My sister and I eat totally different. She counts calories and I count carbs. She said point blank, she needs carbs in her life and she has been very successful, along with working out over the years she’s lost almost 100 pounds within around 10-15 years. She sets small goals, “I’m trying to loss 5 pounds a month and when I reach that goal I can eat again” so, why set weight loss goals if after you reach them you go back to your same way?
BTW, she is the one who always tells me “everything in moderation” which I TOTALLY disagree with because IMO, its all irrelevant and means different things for different people.
Anyway, the point is in order to not argue, I don’t discuss my diet with her, I just let her talk about hers.

(Karim Wassef) #64

To be fair, if you can’t talk about your way of eating, the. She shouldn’t either? Talk about a third thing… ?

(traci simpson) #65

Well she gets upset when you don’t listen or acknowledge her.

(Kirk Wolak) #66

BlueViolet,
Try finding terms she can understand, and offer to help her out.
We make 3lbs of bacon at a time. But BJs here sells pre-cooked bacon (36 pieces) for like $14.00
No brainer. Hot dogs. Easy. Kielbasa, if you can get a clean kind. Easy.

Why have her do it? It is NOT the weight… It should be the advantages:

• No Hangry

• Longer time without having to eat

• Food you can eat cold or warm (hot dog, Salami, Pepperoni)

• Less risk of T2D, heart disease, etc. etc.

What I learned from FASTING was amazing. At one point, I was eating 1 meal, on MWF.
    That was it. 3 meals a week. Life was EASY, and mostly NOT about food. I also learned how
    little food we really need.

But the amazing thing was I was overdue for my meal, and offered a sub-par choice (imagine it was McDonalds…)… Why… When I get only 3 meals in a single week, would I eat that crap? That was literally what I said. I found a place, some drive away, offering Prime Rib! There was no way I was wasting 33% of my weekly food on crap food.

In that moment, I realized: We value Scarcity. Excess diminishes things. Too much food, means we eat more like pigs, and are less discerning. WOW… It was an eye opener.

Yes, what she is doing is convenient. That’s the HOOK that makes you addicted for 30 years while they bleed you with medical bills, and being out of shape, etc. etc. etc.

But find out what is important to her. Find some common ground.

Good Luck!

(hottie turned hag) #67

@CaptainKirk Oh I’m with you, believe me. She def gets moodswings (“hangry”), glucose level related I’m certain, also migraines. She knows how my migraines resolved with keto (secondary to not retaining fluid which caused vasodilation), she knows how terrific I feel and look but resists. I do believe she is carb addicted.

Thanks for an excellent post!

About a year and a half ago a few of us had a conversation about diet at work. I had been keto for a little while (months perhaps). One of them persisted in going on about omnivory and everything in moderation, blah, blah. I chose not to argue but just to state what I was doing. A few months later he found out he was prediabetic. He adopted a keto WOE, turned his A1C right around and lowered his blood pressure. Another person from that conversation has adopted regular fasting. A third of our group that was not with us that day has also started Keto. I don’t preach it or argue but I will discuss it when permitted. :slight_smile:

(Murphy Kismet) #69

Dealing with food/carb addicts, AND a drug addicted daughter. So many similarities it’s painful to watch. I see both sides just diving in to their preferred DOC (drug of choice) and I’m over here with my ketoade. My stomach grumbles, I acknowledge that the organ is empty and that is why it is loud, and then it goes away. And people around me are like :astonished: and :angry: and I’m like “la-dee-dah” going about my merry way and NOT acting like my body is about to implode with hunger, and me explode with anger.
I gotta live my life the way I feel is best for me, and the other people are making their choices in terms of what they FEEL they need right now. Could be carbs. Could be coke. Could be IF/EF.

I gotta live, and let live.

(Karim Wassef) #70

(traci simpson) #71

I think my co-workers are accustomed to my WOE now. Today we were al eating and they two had mac n cheese and potato soup with white bread and I had my Italian casserole and some broccoli. One offered me soup, and when I said no thank you, she said oh right, you’re not eating carbs! Then we all just continued to eat! it was great to not have to explain. They actually ask me what or how I prepare my dishes which is cool.