Just a thought

(57545a7b73bd8be14bca) #1

I am struggling with a major depression beginning last summer.Diagnosed with type 2, 4 weeks ago.I’v done some research on dopamine production ,a chemical I am deficient in…Maybe my insulin resistance is interfering with what little dopamine I do produce.So except for the bananas which I don’t even like keto is the perfect diet to control both conditions? I am in ketosis but not fat burning due to the fact that I can barely eat 500 cal per day.I did lose 17 lbs in the last 4 weeks but now stalled probably due to not eating.So when I do get control of my appetite again Keto will be perfect for me. Any thoughts ?

(Will knit for bacon. ) #2

I struggle with mild to moderate depression and since I’ve been doing keto I’ve noticed my moods have stabilized and lifted, so much so that I attempted to taper down my anti-depressant. But the brain gremlins came roaring back so I tapered them right up again.

It definitely sounds like you need to try to eat more. When I first started fat bombs and meal prep were my best friends, and I ate whenever I felt peckish. After a while I got to a point where I do 18/6 (ish) intermittent fasting, and as long as I get one full meal into that 6 hours I’m okay.

And don’t worry about bananas. They’re not keto. :blush:

(57545a7b73bd8be14bca) #3

I’m working with my doctor now.Silly me thought I could go off my meds. Not good. I get hungry, then a few bites later I can’t eat anymore. Been here before gonna take time

(Katie) #4

I recommend listening to Carrie Brown talk about the benefits ketones have for mental health.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

A whole foods diet has a beneficial effect by promoting the formation of serotonin, which is made from the essential amino acid, tryptophan. The more tryptophan-rich foods you eat, the more likely enough will make it into your brain to help with your depression (serotonin made in the rest of the body can’t cross the blood-brain barrier, so the idea is to get enough tryptophan for enough to make it into the brain to increase the brain’s supply of serotonin). Many people on these forums have reported that keto alone was enough for them to dispense with their anti-depressants, while others have experienced enough improvement to be able to cut their dose.

As far as your dopamine is concerned, voiding sugar, alcohol, and other addictive drugs will allow the cells of your nucleus accumbens to recover somewhat. Although once those cells are gone they’re not supposed to come back, I’m not so sure that’s altogether true on a ketogenic diet.

(57545a7b73bd8be14bca) #6

I’m gonna eat tryptophan rich foods My dopamine will not improve. It is an inherited condition…but no harm in trying

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #7

I have taken the amino acid L-theanine with some success. I just received a light box as a gift and I think it’s very helpful. Also, keeping up with Vitamin D and even google probiotics and dopamine for some information on that. Best wishes in your pursuit of happiness!

(from a former opiate addict living with exactly five dopamine receptors. :rofl:)

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

This might be helpful.

Do a search for youtube videos on Dr. Georgia Ede as well.

Good luck sorting yourself out.