Just a personal intro

(William B Fenton) #1

Wanted to say hello, my name is Bill and I am a type 1 diabetic.

I have been in a state of Nutritional Ketosis previously for as long as 6 months with nothing but positive effects (Reduced Insulin Injections, Improved C-Reactive Protein Profiles, etc)

I figured I would join since this time I am shooting for a minimum of 2-3 years and as a Type 1 I feel I should be documenting this for others.

Once I am in full Nutritional Ketosis I will be investigating non-standard ketogenic diets (Getting back into lifting weights and want to build some mass) though I am not entirely convinced that such a strategy is necessary for my goals.

Since I am currently entering Ketosis after being out of it for 3 months I am going less than 5 net carbs per day, keeping protein as low as possible, and consuming cup after cup of coffee and green tea w/ coconut oil added, in hopes of leveling up my Mitochondria as quickly as possible, though my idea of 95% fat reducing time to shift metabolism may be completely wrong.

I also have an obsession with Peptide research and find published studies super fun to read.

Anyway… hello nice to meet you!

(Carl Keller) #2

Hello and welcome William. I think you will enjoy the forum here. Lots of helpful and knowledgeable folks here and you should find youself in good company.

Hello and welcome, Bill. I’m sure your Type 1 keto experiences will be of great help to other Type 1s who want to enter this lifestyle to improve their health. It’s very generous of you to share.

(William B Fenton) #4

I appreciate the warm welcome, and look forward to learning more about metabolic hacks! A weird obsession :slight_smile:

(Carl Keller) #5

Weird but fruitful. :wink:

(Brenna) #6

Hi,

I’m new here as well. I hope to learn more.

(Scott) #7

Hi Bill,
I have an interest in how a keto WOE an type 1 can work together. My oldest grandson became T1 at about age seven. Although his parents are very knowledgeable on testing and calibrating his punp I feel like they are managing insulin the hard way. I observe them feeding him some very carby foods and then assigning it a point value to correct it. I my mind I would think it to be better limit carbs and thus limit the amount of insulin needed to correct it. I wouldn’t suggest they change anything until I am better educated about it. Welcome aboard and I hope I can learn from you here.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Welcome, @bfntn1! It’s an interesting life, down here in the rabbit hole.

You are probably aware of the Type I Grit Web site, but I’ll mention it as a resource just in case. And if you’re not familiar with Troy Stapleton, the Australian radiologist who developed Type I a few years ago at age 40, he has a number of interesting videos on YouTube about living with Type I on a well-formulated ketogenic diet.

(William B Fenton) #9

I actually did not know about the Type ` Grit Site but navigating it now, thank you for that resource.

Yeah its good to have a resource, since Keto is different for Type 1’s.

My type 1 came to me at the age of 34, I assume it was because I was in an area where groundwater was contaminated by crude oil but could be wrong on that.

Right now going into Ketosis my blood sugars just seemed to normalize in the past 24 hours in the low 60’s though I am sure my Liver still has some stores.

I think in a week I will be adapted, definitely seems each time I go back on the path I get into Ketosis faster than before

(William B Fenton) #10

So where are you in your research on Keto and T1 for your Grandson?

(Scott) #11

I am trying to avoid telling my son how to deal with diet and T1. He has a lot of experience with T1 even if the child’s diet is not helping. I am now looking for a good book that explores the relationship between T1, keto and diet to get better informed. I think I will do better giving him a copy and telling him I found very interesting. Do you have any books you recommend?

(William B Fenton) #12

You know if you find a good book let me know, because everything I learned was through trial and error.

One thing for instance (not medical advice just my own experience) was when I started having BG readings in low mid 40’s (AFTER FAT ADAPTION). And I felt great, was lifting weight and running… but it took a while to get my head around those numbers and accept them as safe.

Another thing was getting into Ketosis was a PAIN, get a high and correct it and bam not in ketosis, or pre-fat adaption getting a low and correcting it.

Another thing was going from Ketosis to a Carb Based Diet again… I got Diabetic Keto Acidosis (DKA) a few times until I realized I had to titrate carbs in and not just go ham.

All in all, not sure I would recommend a Keto Diet for a T1D who still has a developing Endocrine system, but I bet a good Nutritionist/Endo probably could guide it safely, the problem is finding the professionals who will do more than regurgitate dietary dogma from studies funded by the sugar cartels