Jury duty observation

(Barbara M) #1

I spent the last 3 days serving jury duty in Pennsylvania. We had breaks for lunch that most everyone went to a Cafe or restaurant and of course the courthouse staff recommended the ‘really great wrap sandwiches’.
I walked outside in the sunshine but brisk weather and did not even want to eat. As you know, the clock should not determine when you eat. :slightly_smiling_face:.
I did bring some cheese sticks and almonds /pumpkin seeds for my meal if needed so I was prepared.
On Day 3 we were in deliberations, so pizza and sandwiches were ordered in. They did ask for food allergies or special requests. I knew that I would not be hungry so did not make any requests.

Funny, not funny, two co jurors spoke of ‘the food better arrive soon cause my blood sugar is dropping and we’re preparing for Hangry’.

I fasted, walked a bit around the room, stretched, went to the rest room, got a drink, then moved the empty plate that was placed near me to the side. Only 2 people seemed to notice that I had not eaten and asked me if I was going to eat. I simply said, I’m not hungry now, thanks.
All considered, I had a couple of great days, did some IF, a couple of walks in the sunshine and did my civic duty.
Of course, there were pretzels, life savers and mini candy bars constantly available. No worries, they did not tempt me.
KCKO. :heart: KETO.

You’re tax dollars at work!

Ha! Kinda ironic, I think. Great story, Barbara, thanks for sharing it.

Keto can make you a better citizen! :slight_smile:

(Jody) #3

Good job!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #4

I throw my notices in the garbage. Truth. They don’t come certified mail, no way of tracking it. Miss work and a days pay (my employer doesnt pay for jury duty day), and they only give me 5 bucks to show up? Nah, Im good, thanks. Plus, I’m an overly opinionated East Coast tri-state’er, if they knew what was good for them, they’d never select me for anything serious.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Personally I have issues with the possibility of judging someone guilty of laws that I might not agree with or support. You never know what they will assign to you as a case. I do what @x-Dena-x does, except I recycle because I live in California not in filthy New Joisey!:cowboy_hat_face:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #6

:rofl: total fact along the NJ Turnpike, where you can tell what exit you’re at by the unique terrible smell!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

@x-Dena-x By throwing in the garbage did you mean tossing out the window as you’re driving down the turnpike? :rofl:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #8

Would work because it passes through a few incineration plants, as well as multiple landfills.

(Barbara M) #9

This is rxactly what my husband said to me this past few days. Certified mail statement and all.

(Barbara M) #10

Thanks, I can’t say I enjoyed watching the legal process, but it was good for me to see how others do their jobs.
I work in the fast paced medical field, so waiting on the legal fields slow (by my estimation) was both relaxing and yet frustrating. I kept feeling '‘hurry up and then wait’.

I’ve managed to avoid it for over three decades now, but I wouldn’t mind doing jury duty if it were just for one or two days - an interesting opportunity to watch the system at work, without disrupting your own life too much. But it would be just my luck that I get selected for a shitty six month murder trial, which completely turns your life upside-down (like a friend of mine experienced)!

It was tough for me to get on a jury. I worked for an insurance company, so they wouldn’t really put me on a civil trial. And two of my friends when I was growing up had fathers that had been the chief of police at one point or another.

(Marianne) #13

Fabulous! Isn’t it amazing how much food is around all of the time? At work, there’s always a bunch of stuff on the lunchroom table, food in every department, food for a one or two-hour meeting, and for lunch meetings, they pull out all the stops. I was always a closet eater (people must have wondered how come I was so fat), so rarely indulged publicly.

(Barbara M) #14

OgreZed, I was surprised that I was picked as I was 39 of 55 in our selection group.
They did ask a lot of screening and detailed information / questions, so I really did not expect to have been selected.

Knowing law enforcement officials was asked so maybe you would have been deferred as well.

(Barbara M) #15

Hi Marianne, I agree food is everywhere! Once I have learned about blood sugar and insulins response to what I ate, it was such a game changer.

(Polly) #16

That sounds like a real result all round! Well played.

(David Hagy) #17

Great to hear. KCKO! Gotta love it.
I’ve been keto since January 2019 and IF most days, 20/4. Hunger is not an issue anymore. If there’s nothing keto I simply fast.
Great job again.
David

(Janet) #18

I was on a federal Grand Jury for 6 months every Tuesday morning, normally. Better pay🤪but total junk food every time. I was Paleo at that time so didn’t endulge then either. It actually was a very interesting experience. It’s kind of true that a Grand Jury will indict a ham sandwich. prosecution has much more power. We met in a secret inner room in the Federal Courthouse. Can’t ignore those mail summons. But during questioning you can state why you can’t participate and get off. I was going to be out of the country for awhile so I was put in alternate juror group and eventually called the last six months of the session.

(John) #19

I had my Federal jury duty last year - I just had to call in every day to see if I was needed the next day for a full month. I never had to go in.

I had my local county jury duty earlier this year. I did have to go sit there in the (big) jury pool room every day for three days before being dismissed without needing to serve. There were some decent local eateries with plenty of keto-friendly options for lunch. I suppose if I had been empaneled we’d be eating whatever was provided.

My county jury duty is done for the next 10 years, so I’ll (hopefully) be retired by the time I have to serve again - age 71 by then.

I view it as an important civil duty, that you should accept like you do having to pay taxes.

I look at it from the other side - if for some reason I was a plaintiff or defendant in a civil suit, or accused of a crime, I would want intelligent, compassionate, fair-minded people sitting there deciding the case. So I go, hoping to be able to serve if needed.

I have had to serve once, on a traffic accident injury case. It is a VERY educational and eye-opening experience, to realize how much your financial future is in the hands of 12 random people, if you are ever sued for something.

It is also one of the few times in our society where you, the individual citizen, are actually participating in the government function, with true power of law in your hands. Judges, lawyers, police, insurance companies, big corporations, other individual citizens - all are bound to YOUR deliberations and decisions at that point.

I know it is a pain in the ass and and inconvenient for full-time employed people, and probably a financial burden to those who only get paid when they actually work. But I encourage people to accept it as an important responsibility and one of the times when you can make a real difference.

(KetoQ) #20

I served on a jury years ago for a murder trial in Brooklyn. Gang banger retaliation kind of thing. Incredibly dramatic, the jury deliberations as well as the trial. More so than any TV courtroom drama. There were parts that were disturbing, but would do it again.

It was disappointing to see many people flat out lie to get out of jury duty. Their time is no more important than mine and the other people who serve.

I realize jury duty can be inconvenient, but so are things like taxes and military service. It is the price you pay to live and function in a free society. What’s more, a jury trial is a right, and it may be in your best interest for your case to be pleaded before one. In fact, it may decide someone’s fate and freedom. It is a civic responsibility that should be taken seriously.