Judged on high fat

(Luke) #1

Hi guys. If you are ever judged or told the high fat part of Keto is bad for you just remember , that the person telling you is most probably putting in the same amount anyway with out realising. And probably not the good kind either. :metal:t2:
#itiswordedawkwardly

(Allie) #2

I’ve noticed it’s always people who are overweight and unhealthy who try to criticise my diet the most
 so am happy to ignore them :smiley:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Gary Taubes interviewed a woman who lost a lot of weight on keto, and who said that her friends were worried about her diet. She apparently asks her critics, “Where were you when I weighed 300 lbs. [136 kg] and was eating a dozen doughnuts every morning?”

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

This is so true.

(Geoffrey) #5

So far I haven’t received any criticism, only questions. But then again, I’ve only been eating ZC for 115 days and I don’t advertise it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Don’t worry–you’ll hear about it when you refuse Grandma’s special sugary dessert, that she made “just for you.” :grin::cake:

Here’s some virtual bacon to help you stay strong: :bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon:

For the past 9 years diabetic mother is always warning me that I will have a heart attack due to eating the fat on beef ribs and eating butter with eggs.

(KM) #8

I’m about to take a journey to the land of waffles as a healthy breakfast and sugar-free ice cream as a healthy dessert. My mother’s retirement home. I’ll see what marvelous tidbits about my diet sins I can bring back for you.

One of the hardest things is the childhood training that meat is the special, expensive part of the meal, and it’s rude to eat more than your share, so fill up on the starch if you’re hungry. This is still the unspoken MO.

Oh if someone would criticize the fat amount I eat now, I would told them I probably eat way, way, way more fat on high-carb and eating little carbs is the only good way for me to keep my fat this low.

Not like I would care much anyway :wink: I know what I am doing.

It doesn’t matter if the critics are fat, I am fat too and I know a lot about how to eat, at least if one is me but I have some general knowledge as well. I still can’t eat little enough to lose fat, not even on keto (it’s a bit better on carnivore though not always), that’s another thing entirely. But I understand why people feel they shouldn’t listen to them

But I never met anyone who had anything to say against high-fat or even very high-fat. They wouldn’t be so very popular in my country I would think :smiley:

OH YES!
I tried out carnivore, made it (well carnivore-ish, I don’t like restrictions and I can’t enjoy just animal food with zero tolerance policy) my new chosen woe

And my SO, who was fine with meat being back on the menu (he said before that he actually could eat meat more than a few times per year when we aren’t at home as we never bought meat except some fish once in a blue moon) announced that eating meat every day isn’t a nice, polite thing to do and he wants his vegetarian days. I asked him if he talked against me as I totally NEED this if I don’t want to sacrifice important things (I can get very enthusiastic if it’s about my food and I am a Fire Dragon in Chinese horoscope and a Lion in the Western one and it shows :smiley: once there was a more obscure one where I got Fighting Rooster
 so I am not exactly a meek lil one when I argue about my beliefs and things important to me) but before I got really warmed up, he said no, it’s only about him, I eat whatever I want, of course. And I did. A few years passed, he seems to accept some meat any day now, it makes my life as the main cook easier. The times when I did vegetarian keto and he did vegetarian HCHF with a bunch of extra rules weren’t always easy. I like to find a common ground and common dishes but it was harder then than now (despite all the desserts we both ate. keto desserts are great, at least the ones I made). Part of it is that carnivore doesn’t require much cooking, I just toss some animal product into the oven or pan and it’s a good start
 But it’s so, so better if he just accepts part of the meat as his protein and I don’t need to make something else. I don’t even remember what a normal person eats :smiley: I am lost there. So I usually just give him a meatless carnivore protein dish (it has conditions but they quite often are met in this household)

Oh and meat is about the cheapest food I can eat. I don’t understand why poor people don’t live on (mostly) meat, actually
 I am poor enough and like to optimize enough that I put plenty of thought into spending the least amount of money on food without suffering. (I know I am horrible as I eat this much and some unnecessary items like coffee but I have my limits and I am not poor enough, apparently.)
And well, carnivore is the cheapest diet for me or very close
 It’s not true for everyone, obviously, I mean, some people get satiation from plants just fine, I don’t. Except gluten because that’s artificially low-carb and high-protein and satiates me like not even meat I think. And if I eat carbs, I don’t stop at satiation
 And don’t even feel so well. I probably could continue.

Vegs can be super expensive, fruits too (we buy the cheap ones). Grains went up spectacularly too.
Eggs as well but they are wonderful and worth it.
Meat stayed at a reasonable price with all its wonderful nutrients, satiation and satisfaction skills. Sometimes I look at prices and am amazed. Why would I buy unhelpful vegs with mostly water when I can buy meat for that price and meat actually is food, I get satiated and get my essential nutrients, feel joy and so on

(I understand the joy of nibbling on some raw vegs but it’s a tiny part of my diet. Buying a lot would just boost my food cost.)

(Luke) #10

Great point. And so true.

(Luke) #11

This person looked pretty healthy , but just commented on my items I was grabbing. I said keto and smiled , she said yuk high fat , I glanced at her shopping trolley and smirked when I was walking away.

Keto isn’t even necessarily high-fat
 Not like I know what people consider high- and low-fat
 I had days with 80g fat, if that isn’t low, I don’t want to know what it is :smiley: It’s super little, I need carnivore with a bunch of extra rules, a tiny eating window and a not hungry day to go that low
 :upside_down_face: And pretty lean protein as my base food, it took some years to be able to kind of like that, actually

(I add fattier items, sure :smiley: But I depend on the leanest meat possible for me on my good days. Or mostly avoid dairy but I can’t often do that.)

But I actually didn’t think about my woe, many people can go lower with fat. It’s not for maintenance on keto but while losing fat and being among the ones who really doesn’t need much energy intake at that phase, it can be just the right thing to do.

(KM) #13

Expanding on what I said, my hardest days are those when I’m a captive audience in someone else’s space, particularly when it’s my mother. The basic premise is that a “deck-of-card-sized” (about 4 oz) portion of meat is the appropriate amount of meat for everyone. That’s the polite limit. I’m harshly criticized if I “starve myself” by not eating three times a day, but I’m also criticized if I eat more than that much meat. I’m not strictly carnivore, but I do wind up half starving if my day consists of 2 polite eggs (plus toast and cereal which I won’t eat), a roast beef sandwich with chips (which I take off the bread and don’t eat the chips, despite the anger that incurs), a snack of cookies and tea in the afternoon (no cookies for me), and a 4 oz portion of fish with salad, bread, rice and corn as side dishes (so fish, and a salad which is basically iceberg lettuce with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top because I won’t eat croutons or industrial dressing), with some ice cream for dessert (another no, thank you.) I do bring my own snacks - nuts, jerky, some cheese - which I try to slip in unnoticed right before a meal, but the whole thing is exhausting.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

Promise her you’ll stop eating your eggs with butter and eat them with bacon and sausage, instead.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

I was thinking: perhaps a dozen hard-boiled eggs in your luggage, along with perhaps some pre-cooked bacon. Butter (for the eggs–I hate dry eggs) in a container should last okay, and so would cream cheese (for the bacon). And how about one of those insulated jugs that seals real well for some double cream? I’m thinking if this comes in with your baggage and stays in your room, you could easily have a pre-breakfast or late-night snack. Not to mention a “nap” before tea-time!

(Chuck) #16

I was schooled by an extremely over weight nurse about my diet and fasting. I said well at least I am barely overweight now, and by the way I have been taken off of all of my prescribed medications after closing to 45 years, most of that time trying to follow a SAD diet. I now follow what my body tells me to eat and when to eat I have improved everything about my health, my lab results are better then they were when I was thirty, my energy levels are better than they were when I was in my thirties, and I sleep the way I did in my childhood and teens.

(Geoffrey) #17

That’s the only way to tell them Chuck. How can it be so bad when everything about it is so good?

(Michael) #18

Well, saying that about chocolate blizzards did not work so well for me :slight_smile:

(Alec) #19

The anti-fat sentiment that is still the conventional wisdom is the primary reason we currently have a diabetes pandemic across the world. Many health systems will be in trouble in the next decade
 they will struggle to deal with the queue of diabetics arriving with all sorts of ailments.

The current political preference in pushing plant-based and vegan diets will come home to roost in the following decades. There is a small but growing community of people that know that plant based is a really bad direction, but it is going to take a generation or more to get this out of our system. All I can hope for in my lifetime is for politicians and governments to leave people to eat what they want and stop pushing really bad advice. But I doubt this will happen. The current signs are bad.

A number of people have asked me what I am doing to have lost all the weight that I did (roughly 80lbs over 18 months), I tell them I run and I am on carnivore, and I explain if they want to know what that means. The average response is that seems very extreme and boring, and they don’t know how I stick to it. I never generate a debate unless they start pushing plant based ■■■■■■■■. Then I try my best to point out the realities of what is the most nutrient dense food (clearly fatty meat), the health downsides of eating lots of plants (nutrient uptake blocking and ingesting all sorts of micro poisons with all sorts of hidden health consequences), and the environmental and animal conservation consequences of plant agriculture (both terrible). However, it is rare that anyone believes me. The best I can hope for is someone listening goes and does some research so they can start their own real health journey.

Yeah because when I want to get my essential nutrients on my own plate in my own house, I should focus on being “polite” :rofl: And not satiated, healthy, sane and satisfied :smiley:
I never heard about such things (until lately, maybe, I met people with views about tiny amount of meat but the word polite wasn’t mentioned. my SO surprised me enough, that happened a few years ago)
 I knew some people eat tiny amounts of meat (I wouldn’t dirty a plate for 4oz meat, lol) but each to their own.

I am more like the 20 (sometimes 25) oz meat of person myself :slight_smile: Per day but it works for my first meal too, it’s usually a pretty substantial one and on good days often my only one.

Meet my 170g protein, 130+ g fat OMAD meal :slight_smile: (I usually am lower but it’s still rarely too little and never starving.)
It’s so strange to me when people think everyone has the same sized meals. Nope. Some eat 2-300 kcal per meal, some eat 4000 kcal (I met such a person once. he only did it on OMAD and he overate there)
 I always preferred 1200-200 kcal for my first meal (I mean, I inevitably ate that amount, couldn’t help it. I really prefer 1600-1800 kcal, actually, that works best for me.)

Polite or not, I NEED more than a pound of meat for a good day and if I want to lose fat, I better eat it in one sitting. Maybe 2 if I am really good but that’s tricky.
And I don’t even eat much meat, not even now
 Carnivores often eat much more because they need that.
Why would it be bad to eat properly? Good food, as much as we need? Seriously

:rofl:
You say your Mom would have problems with my occasional 12 egg days too? :smiley: (My average in the last maybe 15 years is only 7-8, does it make it better? :smiley: And if I had about no meat for most of the time? I needed to get my high protein from something
)

I am sorry for you to have this. It may be part sad, part funny for me to read about polite eggs and meat portions but it must be very bad to live it :cry:

And she doesn’t get it that if you don’t eat the carbs (as they aren’t good for you, very understandable IMO), you obviously need more fat and your protein need may be higher too?

I was lucky with my family regarding meat, my Aunt waited with a bunch of chicken thighs when I visited her and didn’t bat an eye when I promptly ate 1kg (and went for more, better meat and cheese and eggs as I stayed hungry. stupid non-satiating fowls
) and my SO’s Mom (my second Mom!) makes enough meat for us when we visit (she finally noticed a single chicken leg is nothing to me, no matter how big it is. it’s easily 14 oz here as part of the back is involved, it’s a thing in this country).
But
 Moms should do this. Give enough food for their kids to eat, with love

But then we may snack on our butter later, right? I am in my butter phase right now, you can pry my butter from my cold dead hands, along with my eggs. And pork too
 :upside_down_face: