Is this slowing me down ?!

Since I’ve started Keto I haven’t been weighing the onions and tomatoes I️ used for some of my meals, here’s why. I only used about two half slices of onion and 2-3 cherry tomatoes, literally ! Because I just want it for flavor. But I’ve never googled their calories because I️ figured it probably wouldn’t make a difference. But here I am in week 3 and I’m not feeling as slim as I️ was feeling. Almost like I’m retaining water. Also, I’m taking multi vitamin gummies that have carbs ! Should I️ stop this ?

And how much is too much avocado ? Could I️ be over doing it. I usually have 1 a day sometimes 1 1/2

Oh and spinach I have in two of my meals. 1-2cups of it… are the carbs creeping up on me ?

(Allie) #2

Quite possibly but without tracking / testing you won’t be able to say for sure, unless you want to just try cutting them out for a couple of weeks to see how you get on.

(Todd Allen) #3

None of those things sounds like a problem to me. The quantities sound small, but the best way to know is to get a kitchen scale and weigh a few samples. Then you can look up the nutritional profiles in an app like cronometer and get a better sense of how many carbs you are really getting. Once you’ve done this a few times you’ll have a good sense of what your frequent foods provide in terms of calories and nutrients and then it becomes fairly easy to guesstimate without bothering to weigh and track. But having the tools remains handy when you want to get adventurous and try new things.

Also, how much is too much pork rinds? And sugar free jello for snack, guys. Yay or nay?

(Todd Allen) #5

I don’t think there are any guidelines for pork rinds or sugar free jello. We all respond somewhat differently to foods. Some have no issues with alternative sweetners and others have little tolerance for one or more. You might for example find aspartame a problem but be ok with larger amounts of xylitol or stevia.

I consider both pork rinds and jello more as snack foods though one can find meal recipes using each as ingredients. Myself, I’ve found benefit in reducing snacks and convenience foods and focusing more on meals.

(Bunny) #6

A brief note:

BEWARE: eating too many deep fried piggy skins (fat) can convert (gluconeogenesis) into glucose!

(Todd Allen) #7

I’m also concerned about the impact of frying and other high heat food processing/cooking methods which have been shown able to change polyunsaturated fats into trans fats and create nasty toxins such as acrolein and 4-HNE. And pork fat is fairly high in polyunsaturates. I have a genetic neuromuscular wasting disease with a strong metabolic component with dysfunctional mitochondria with degraded membranes playing a prominent role. The membranes incorporate essential polyunsaturated fatty acids and providing the cleanest highest quality substrates apparently helps.

(Mike W.) #8

I thought GNG was from protein? Can you site your claim?

(Rob) #9

I can’t speak for the bunny but the air blown pork rinds often talked of here have more protein than fat, unlike traditional Chichirones, scratchings or cracklings.