Is this real science? Paleo diet is dangerous, increases weight gain, diabetes expert warns

(Martin Danner) #1

What’s up with this? A new study from the University of Melbourne states that:

Following a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet for just eight weeks can lead to rapid weight gain and health complications, a new mouse study has demonstrated. The study has prompted researchers to issue a warning about putting faith in so-called fad diets with little or no scientific evidence.

Seem to completely contradict the growing body of scientific evidence. Does anyone have the straight scoop on this one?

(Siobhan) #2

PEOPLE ARE NOT MICE

MICE ARE NOT PEOPLE

When will researchers understand this?

(Keto in Katy) #3

From the article:

“Low-carbohydrate, high-fat diets are becoming more popular, but there is no scientific evidence that these diets work. In fact, if you put an inactive individual on this type of diet, the chances are that person will gain weight”

:poop:

(Todd Allen) #4

It’s only too real.

1. Put mice in cage
  2. Feed mice standard high fiber rodent chow with 2% refined sugar
  3. Switch bored caged mice to diet of unlimited amounts of “Paleo food” - mostly saturated fat sweetened with 6% energy from refined sugar (more than 10% sucrose by weight)
  4. Watch mice get fat
  5. Jump to conclusion that this proves the Paleo diet is harrmful for free living people
  6. Career as research scientist advances

(Siobhan) #5

It breaks down even simpler

1. Use mice for a study
  2. Get result
  3. Instead of studying further with actual humans, blindly claim it applies to humans despite different physiology, nutrition requirements, metabolism, dietary needs…
  4. Be a dumbass or paid sugar industry shill

From the referenced journal… speaks for itself

(Siobhan) #7

Every single time. I’m pretty sure they use the exact same solution in every mouse study.

And how is ANY OF THAT paleo (besides the ghee I guess)??? Paleo = WHOLE FOOD not randomly extracted garbage to make some inhuman cocktail not even a rat would eat
Try feeding them actual food - or better yet trying feeding it to a human being and see what happens

Its a common pattern in these junk science studies.
Ivor Cummins highlighted this recently on twitter

Headline: "High Fat Diet ruins Oesophagus" https://t.co/NbgrPTqFy7 TOTAL LIARS - it's really a "High Sugar Diet" - see pic. #cheated #LCHF pic.twitter.com/YAW4X53kLs

— Ivor Cummins (@FatEmperor) 3 April 2017

Well, of course this is a BS study and waste of tax payers money. It was funded by the Australian governmental NHMRC. No surprises really.

https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines-publications/n55

(Tom) #10

You can stop reading right here. The author is either a lying liarface, or is so gloriously inept at doing a lit search (or asking a librarian to help), nothing they say can be taken at face value. No scholarly articles worth their salt use such definitive terms as “no scientific evidence” (not to mention the appeal to science by calling it scientific without actually defining what that means).

(AnnaLeeThal) #11

So…I have not worked out for most of the time I’ve been Keto. N=1 but I still lost over 20 lbs. hmmmmmm…

(Martin Danner) #12

Clearly this research is flawed. What really annoys me is that the University of Melbourne gives it an air of credibility by publishing it. I thought this sort of research was supposed to be peer reviewed before being published. Apparently not!

These scams happen a lot. Universities look for sources of funding. Governmental institutions, like the Australian NHMRC (who set the dietary guidelines based on the SAD diet and food pyramid), give funding to universities to reinforce their “rules”. And the worst part, the original source of the money is from tax payers.

(Siobhan) #14

Doesn’t help if all your peers are really biased in the same direction!

Interesting how two governmental research bodies of Australia (NHMRC versus CSIRO) come to opposite conclusions. The University of Melbourne research you provided as a link was funded by NHMRC. The picture below was recently published by CSIRO. Can’t wait to see the fighting and mud slinging that will start to happen between these two groups.

(Allan Misner) #16

I think in all food studies, they should have to disclose their weight, body fat %, A1C, lipid panel, and their WOE. Surprise, surprise, surprise, vegetarian scientists do a study that damns paleo and LCHF, and they’re less healthy than you are.

I just discovered today from one of @richard 's post that a religious vegetarian group in Australia has been endorsed by the Diabetes association, and they also manufacture carb intensive plant-based processed (vegetarian) foods, like weetbix and So Good soy milk. The best part is that they don’t even pay taxes, because they are a religious institution in Australia. Wow!!! What a huge scam!!! :scream::scream::scream:!!!

(Martin Danner) #18

I guess it should come as no surprise that the nature of scientific evidence can be highly influenced by funding sources. This makes it hard to know what “facts” to trust. It comes down to that old investigative adage: follow the money.

This video clip sums it up nicely.