Is this electrolytes?

(Brian) #1

I haven’t paid a lot of attention to electrolytes since starting on a keto diet about 6 weeks ago. Mostly, I’ve felt pretty good without much of an issue anywhere. Not even “keto flu”. And I’ve lost weight. I’m 2 pounds away from my first goal (23 pounds, which was what I weighed 2.5 years ago when I broke my leg) and plateaued just a bit, but I’m pretty confident it will continue to come off as I keto on. Not worried about that.

Yesterday, I had a bit more physical activity in a fairly warm environment that caused me to sweat quite a bit more than normal. No problem, at least not at the time. Felt fine.

But I woke up early this morning, after about maybe 5 hours of sleep, and noticed that my heart rate was a little higher than I would have expected, maybe in the upper 80’s or so. Had I just had a nightmare, maybe that would make sense, but just sleeping, I thought that was a little high.

I had taken some magnesium before I went to bed as that sometimes helps me to sleep a little better. (It’s a powder we put into water.) But I didn’t take anything else. So when I woke up, I wondered to myself whether a little potassium would help calm the heart rate. I was awake anyway so I got up and had maybe a quarter teaspoon of “Lite-Salt”, I think it’s called (partly potassium chloride), a little water to wash it down, and went back to bed.

It wasn’t but just a few minutes later that my heart rate had dropped down into the 50’s or 60’s, which seemed a whole lot more normal.

I wondered, is that kinda what happens when the electrolytes get out of balance? I probably lost somewhere between a pint and a quart of fluids in sweat. And with sweat being kinda salty, and also giving me quite a whiff of that “ketone smell”, and knowing that a person’s dietary requirement for salt can increase in ketosis, it was something I wondered about.

Am I on the right track with my thinking?

(Liz ) #2

I believe you are on the right track, yes!

(Khara) #3

I personally have not started taking any supplements. I’m not fully against them I just haven’t fully researched them and I’m also a bit stubborn in wanting everything I need to come from foods. I do use extra salt but try to do so in the form of listening to my body, i.e. am I craving salt. I also drink broth for headaches. But, I have not used or tried any of the supplement salts like the lite-salt. I guess the jury is still out for me. I read the post below a while back along with the discussion following it. Interesting to consider so thought I’d pass it along.