Is there any negative effect of doing Keto long term?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

Our ancestors’ average lifespan was short, because of the risk of infectious disease. Infant mortality used to be atrocious until around a century ago. Those that avoided that risk generally lived to ages that would still be considered respectable today. It wasn’t very long ago, in evolutionary terms, when an infected cut was a mortal danger, and to develop a fever was to be at death’s door.

In fact, I am old enough to remember when most of the diseases that are now preventable with a vaccine, or easily treated with an antibiotic, were routine risks of childhood and often carried with them permanent effects (one of my grandfathers was crippled by polio, and one of my grandmothers died early of heart complications resulting from contracting rheumatic fever in childhood). And those diseases were bad enough in childhood; they could be fatal if you didn’t contract them until adulthood. A friend of my mother’s made the mistake of nursing her unvaccinated grandchildren when they came down with whooping cough. She mistakenly believed she had had the disease in childhood—but she had not, and had never been vaccinated for it—so she contracted it herself, and very nearly died. It was touch and go there, for a while, though she eventually did recover.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #22

@Corals

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #23

@Corals

Health and longevity

In general, Paleolithic people were healthier than Neolithic man. Life expectancy was 35.4 years for men and 30.0 years for women in the late Paleolithic era (30000 to 9000 BC). In the early neolithic era (7000 to 5000 BC) this fell to 33.6 and 29.8 years, and in the late Neolithic era (5000 to 3000 BC) fell even further to 33.1 and 29.2 years respectively. The adoption of grains in the Neolithic era coincided with a shortening of stature, thinner bones and crooked, cavity-ridden teeth. Another interesting physiological change was a decline in pelvic inlet depth, making childbirth more difficult in the Neolithic era compared with the Paleolithic era.[1]

Diseases like tooth cavities, malaria, tuberculosis and typhoid fever are first known to have occurred in the Neolithic era.

15%20PM

Abstract

… Contrary to earlier models, the adoption of agriculture involved an overall decline in oral and general health. This decline is indicated by elevated prevalence of various skeletal and dental pathological conditions and alterations in skeletal and dental growth patterns in prehistoric farmers compared with foragers. In addition, changes in food composition and preparation technology contributed to craniofacial and dental alterations, and activity levels and mobility decline resulted in a general decrease in skeletal robusticity. These findings indicate that the shift from food collection to food production occasioned significant and widespread biological changes in human populations during the last 10,000 years.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #24

@Corals

30%20PM

17%20PM

(KCKO, KCFO) #25

Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human by Richard Wrangham

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #26

Haven’t read it. But my initial comment is simply this. Archeological evidence suggests our ancestors discovered how to capture/use fire about 1.8 million years ago. Maybe even how to start it. However, there is no evidence for the common and habitual use of fire for cooking prior to about 3-400 k years ago. Our primate ancestors came down from the trees some time prior to 4 million years ago and brain size was already increasing by 3.5 million years ago along with decreasing gut size. So I think the definitive cause was the increase in eating fat and meat. There is abundant evidence our ancestors were hunting and/or scavaging for at least a million years before the ‘quest for fire’. Nutrient density is more important than processing. And there’s evidence that cooking, depending on exactly how it’s done, can be detrimental to many nutrients.

Well, our life expectancy now is much superior. Dental cavities and all.

Nice references. Thank you!