Is There a Food Tracking App With Macros But No Calories

(Windmill Tilter) #1

I’d looking for an app that logs foods and that tallies up macros, but that doesn’t show calories on the front page.

Basically all I care about is a simple UI that has carb g, protein g, fat g, and % dietary intake from fat. I don’t mind if the cals are accessible just so long as they’re not on the main screen.

Does such a thing exist?

If you're tracking calories...PLEASE buy/use a food scale
(KCKO, KCFO) #2

I am thinking of starting to use this one, if it will work with my older iphone, I have just been checking it out It is the only one that is just for macros not calories tracking. I like the idea of snapping a pic of my meal and doing detailed logging later. Not free but only $3.

Carb Manager gets high praise around here, but it also does the calories. I already use MFP, so I have not tried that.

Looks like it does track calories but isn’t the focus. Also saw they have a pc free version. But they don’t use grams, which I have gotten used to with MFP. Not sure if I will try it or not.

(Windmill Tilter) #3

Thanks for the idea. I just checked it though and it still shows calories on most of the screens. :pensive:

I’m looking for an app to recommend to folks that struggle with the “eat to satiety thing”. An awful lot of people track macros in apps, stare at the mounting calorie number all day long, and decide they’re “satiated” when they hit the magic 1346.5kcals that some online calculator estimated for them a month ago. It’s a bit silly, but we’ve all been trained to do that for a long time.

I think there is value in keeping a food log, because it helps to isolate problem foods down the road, and tracking carbs is a good idea, but seeing calories as the headline all day long is counterproductive.

Surely keto is popular enough that somebody has made a calorie free macro tracker by now?

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

I haven’t found it and I have been looking for that too. I’d like one that doesn’t nag you if you are fasting :slight_smile:

(Windmill Tilter) #5

Yup! I got so annoyed I wrote my own little app in gsheets that only shows protein,carbs,fat,%fat. It also tracks hours of fasting which is handy. I love it, but the user interface probably wouldn’t be intuitive for most folks. I was hoping for something off the shelf to recommend to newbies.

Keto is so ubiquitous at this point there’s got to be one somewhere! I hope…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #6

I’ve been thinking this too. I use cronometer.com and calories are big and bright on the screen. I just emailed them and suggested they consider allowing calories to be hidden. I linked this thread too.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #7

It’s possible on cronometer.com Here’s the reply I got from them:

23%20PM

07%20PM

This my view without calories:

(Windmill Tilter) #8

That’s awesome! Thanks so much for figuring this out! :+1::+1::+1:

Thanks a Ton! :smiley:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #9

Carb manager

Sadly, I was well over on protein today. But I had to, just to get more fat. Low on groceries today, so not many options for fat, and I’m not interested in just eating butter, MCT oil, or ranch dressing.

(Windmill Tilter) #10

Wow! I was thrilled to find just one calorie-free macro tracker and now I’m spoiled for choice. Thanks!

(Windmill Tilter) #11

If you’re still looking for an app, it turns out carb manager can be calorie free. @KetoCancerMom figured out how to turn of the calorie tracking function with just a toggle switch in the app settings. :grinning:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

Why are you concerned if calories are shown? Just ignore the stat. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Windmill Tilter) #13

Giving up calories and “fat-fear” is harder for a lot of folks than giving up carbs. We’ve all had a lifetime of training that we must watch calories and to be afraid of fat.

When we come here, we hear the following message over and over here: Keep carbs under 20g, protein at 1g-2g of lean bodyweight, fat to satiety, no matter what you do, do not pay attention to calories. When I look at an app to track carbs and protein this, this is how my brain “helpfully” interprets the app UI:

It’s just human nature lol. We focus on the things we fear.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #14

I’m going to echo @Don_Q here. I learned many years ago to count calories to lose weight. I’ve done it “successfully” three times. I now understand that each time I further damaged my insulin resistance and that is why the weight crept back up and up and up. Now that I know better, it’s still very difficult for my brain to ignore those numbers that it spent decades fixated on. I need a full break from calories while I unlearn the bad stuff and learn the good stuff.

Help! Want to switch macro apps but nervous
(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

Okay, I never counted calories so it’s just a curious number to me. I’m usually between 1200-1800 naturally on this WOE. I get a little freaked by the fat stats to be honest. Not that I ever counted fats before or avoided them. But the Cronometer app calculates a certain amount which I think about 110 grams and I frequently go 120-150% of that without trying to get fat in consciously! It always amazes me when people ask how can I add fats to my diet? I think I need to eat more lean protein to balance my bacon habits. Those of course are my “high caloric days”. Speaking of this is making me hungry for breakfast. :cowboy_hat_face::bacon::egg::bacon::egg:

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

^^^^ This is so true for many of us here. Glad to learn we have some options now. Currently, I have just not been tracking anything. I pretty much know what I can eat after almost two years in maintenance. But it things start to go wrong, I like to know I can use something besides MFP and its anti fasting nagging.

(Shaena Peterson) #17

When I began this woe last July, I picked up the “Stupid Simple Keto” app. It made it so simple. Put in quantity and it figured calories and did the macro.

Haven’t used for months, but it was an excellent tool to get me on track. Last July I weighed 245, today and for the last three months, I’ve weighed 170.