Is the weight loss real or just water weight?

science

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

Your mom’s case is one in which there might be some benefit from supplementing with exogenous ketones, especially if you don’t succeed in changing her diet. As with Alzheimer’s disease, a ketogenic diet can prevent further damage to the brain, and even, if the damage is still mild enough, reverse it.

Don’t expect miracles, but even a modest improvement is better than nothing.

(Marianne) #22

Ha, ha!

Classic.

(Marianne) #23

That is really tragic.

(Charlotte) #24

My mother died from parkinson’s complications last year. I was her primary caregiver the last 5 years of her life. If I had known about keto then, I would have put her on it in a second. I’m sorry to hear about your mom. Its so difficult seeing what parkinson’s does to our loved ones. My mom was truly my best friend. I fear going out like she did which prompted me to do keto myself…

(Jane) #25

Was this doctor overweight, per chance? Just curious.

None of her doctors is overweight, but they all had varying degrees of responses, like, “It’s rigid and impossible to stick to” and “it’s not going to work.” None had any idea of the electrolyte issues and how it would affect blood pressure. It’s both sad and amazing to me the lack of knowledge doctors have.

Fortunately, I did find a doctor who is willing to help. But we have to travel a bit to see him. I am hopeful, though, as it has helped me. :slight_smile:

Thank you for that. I had the same thought, which is one of the reasons I was attracted to Keto. I don’t think it’s a genetic disease, but no one really knows. I suspect there has to be a food/environmental component though, since my dad died of Parkinson’s, too. I asked the doctor what the odds were that both of them would have it, and he said, “Just bad luck.”

(Charlotte) #29

My step dad also passed from parkinson’s, as well as my friend’s dad. Its so prevalent in the baby boomer generation when the current SAD standards were established. I very much believe that the coincidence is too much to ignore. The brain is the fattiest organ in the body at 60% fat… why on earth would people ignore the possibility that it needs fats to sustain proper function. I personally believe that parkinson’s needs a genetic vulnerability along with an environmental factor such as low cholestrol to cause a cascade effect. I never discount genetics with anything whether there is a proven link or not.