Is stevia safe to use?

Stevia has zero carbs. When people says that artificiall sweeteners can trigger insulina, do they mean also stevia?

(Charlotte) #2

It can for some yes. I haven’t had any insulin peaks from it, but lots of others have reported sensitivity to it. I only use liquid stevia however, so i’m not sure if the form has anything to do with it. I should look into it.

(Alex) #3

n=1. some say it affects their insulin, others say it doesn’t. personally i don’t own a blood glucose meter, so i couldn’t tell you how it affects me regarding insulin. i CAN tell you that it definitely causes cravings for me though

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #4

Don’t like the taste. But having too much sweet anything is counterproductive.

(Carl Keller) #5

In this book The Obesity Code, Jason Fung cited a study that said stevia raises insulin higher than table sugar does and I’ve read a few articles that say scientists are studying if stevia is harmful to our gut microbiome. There’s also that the contention that the taste of sweetness without the reward of calories could alter regulation of energy intake.

On the other hand, I’ve read that when stevia is pre-loaded (consumed before a meal) that it can have a positive affect on lowering blood glucose levels raised from eating a meal right after… although I do wonder who sponsored this study.

All that aside, I do use it in my morning coffee and it didn’t seem to stop me from losing weight. I would say use it in moderation but if you are having a hard time losing weight, consider eliminating it.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

I was just looking at a graph yesterday that showed how erythritol, stevia and another sugar alcohol that I can’t remember. And stevia caused a biggest insulin spike over time that was way bigger than the sugar alcohols. I may have this wrong. I am going to look for it in my history.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Here’s the thread, there are some graphs near the top that show aspartame and stevia boosting insulin response MORE than sucrose! I may be wrong as there were people who disputed the interpretation of it. But it’s interesting if a little science oriented for some :grin:. Me