Is PB2 Keto friendly

(Karen Royal) #1

Hello…I’m new to Keto… I wanted to know if PB2 considered Keto Friendly?
And if so, how do you all use it?
Thank you
Karen

I guess it’s a matter of whether or not it fits your macros. I’ve never used it but I understand it’s used mainly in sweets so if you’re trying to kick a sweet habit or a PB addiction I guess it could be problematic! There do seem to be quite a few recipes kicking around the interwebs that are labeled keto & use it.

Also - welcome :smiley:

(Running from stupidity) #3

So it’s peanut butter with the fat removed? Seems somewhat arse-about for keto.

(MelissaH) #4

My vote is to stay away from processed food. Why not use the real thing? Unless your just trying to use it because it’s in your cabinet. You could mix it into a fat bomb

(Sheri Knauer) #5

It is not keto. It has added sugar. They remove the fat, which removes the flavor, so they have to put sugar in it to make it palatable. Just buy peanut butter that the only ingredient(s) is/are peanuts and salt.

(Todd Gamel) #6

Topics like this always end up with a multitude of opinions and sometimes they get a little heated, so I am going to put on my flame retardant underwear and jump into the keto fire and give my 2 cents worth so to speak. One Tbsp of Pbfit has 4 grams total carbs, but 2 grams of fiber so net carbs is 2 per Tbsp, while one Tbsp of Peter Pan peanut butter has about 3 grams of total carbs, and 1 gram of fiber so net carbs is 2 grams per tablespoons.

Pbfit 2 net grams carbs per Tbsp

Generic PB about 2 net grams per Tbsp

Pbfit Total Nutrition (1 Tbsp)

50 Calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 6 grams of protein, 2 grams of net carbohydrates

Peter Pan Peanut Butter (1 Tbsp)

100 Calories, 8 grams of fat, 8 grams of protein, 2 grams of net carbohydrates

Both Pbfit and peanut butter contain natural sugars, and as mentioned, the Pbfit does have a lower concentration of fat. So the question is why choose a peanut butter powder over peanut butter? Quite frankly, there are some recipes that work better with the powdered peanut butter than with a traditional peanut butter. So I use it when I need to. Yes, PBfit has less fat, and we all know fat is good, but if you are getting enough fat in your diet, then the 6.5 grams of fat per tablespoon is a mute point.

When it comes to keto and diabetes, you are primarily looking at how carbohydrates impact your insulin levels. In the grand scheme of things the source of carbs really dosen’t matter. Keeping yourself in ketosis is the most important part of being successful on a ketogenic diet. Would it be better if you eliminated ALL processed foods from your diet, probably, but you have to balance that with your personal preferences and goals. BTW, I have both of these in my pantry, and as a personal disclaimer, I use both. Has the Pbfit knocked me out of ketosis? “No way Jose’” as Carl would say. I have lost almost 100 lbs as of today and have been on a ketogenic diet for more than two years.

As for my comparison. Yes, there are all natural brands of peanut butter, but when I look at the labels of peanut butter on my supermarket shelf, they are all essentially the same. And btw, the Peter Pan had less sugars and overall less net carbs than all the other brands on my local supermarket shelf. Take this response for what it is worth. It is simply my opinion, backed by my own personal experiences. My advice, if you need or want to use the Pbfit, then go for it, it will not keep you out of, or knock you out of ketosis. Good Luck, and stay Keto Strong!

(less is more, more or less) #7

I never heard of “PB2” before. Hopefully I’m looking at the same thing.

The Amazon page leads that PB2 is “85% less fat"

Ugh.

To answer your question: “no."

Keep your carbs below 20 total grams a day. If you want to waste your carb allotment on this, you’re at liberty to do so.

I’d rather have a handful of pecans, with far less carbs.

(less is more, more or less) #8

Watch as I form a soliloquy, talking to myself here.

Whether a food is “keto” or not isn’t quite right. Our goal isn’t to stuff our traps with “keto” foods. It’s to keep our carb intake as low as possible, ideally below 20 total grams. If you want to blow your quota on a reece’s candy, two ought to use up your 20 grams. Don’t let me stop you. Yea, you’re playing with the devil, but that’s up to you.

(Running from stupidity) #9

Nice :wink:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #10

What a bizarre product!!

(Karen Royal) #11

Thank you for your input…and I see where you’re coming from. I never even get close to my 20 carbs. I am pretty much 5 or less… didnt know if PB2 was full of sugars… normally I will buy peanut butter without any sugars.

(less is more, more or less) #12

One tablespoon of natural peanut butter is 3.5 grams of carbs. Are you otherwise only eating meat and fat?

(Karen Royal) #13

My macros
60%F
35%Protein
5% Carbs
I dont use the PB2 now that I know it isnt clean.
I eat mostly carnivor, with under 15 carbs, making up veggies, walnuts, yogurts, berries.
I dont have this list of carbs all in one day.
I alternate between them.
If I have 1 cup of yogurt with 5 walnut halves walnuts for my first meal, along with 3 eggs, 1/2 lb of bacon, my second meal will be mostly carnivor.
If I dont have the yogurt, with walnuts or berries in my first meal, I’ll add veggies to my second meal.
I eat about 1400 calories a day.