Is my bubble guts keto flu?

Lol plz help! I had a cheat day this last Friday, didn’t feel like anything crazy—burger & fries. But ever since Sunday i have had the worst diarrhea and bubbly stomach as i call it. Am i experiencing keto flu? I’ve been back to keto since Saturday, no carbs since the cheat but it’s crazy to me if my body is still trying to process those carbs from the weekend. I also have had kind of a runny nose. It this an attribute to keto flu or do i just have a normal cold? Help fellow ketoans!!!

Horrible stomach pains and Diarrhea ( sorry TMI I know)
(Chris) #2

Keto flu is not a sickness, it’s an electrolyte imbalance. Symptoms are usually hangover-like: headache, sometimes nausea, muscle cramps. I don’t believe diarrhea is one of them.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #3

It may be that your gut flora has changed to suit your keto diet, and is having trouble with the carbs. It can take days for food to get through your guts (I just did a 5 day fast, and still had a little to contribute to the toilet on the fifth day.) Those bacteria work hard for us, but can’t always switch gears to quickly.

(Allie) #4

This is very common at first as the body needs time to adjust to the changes. Digestive enzymes and maybe a probiotic will help.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

The opposite, in fact. Constipation is one of the symptoms of keto “flu,” also known as sodium deficiency. I can testify to this from current experience, as each time in the last few weeks that I’ve fallen behind in my salt intake, I’ve either become constipated, or started to develop a migraine, or both.

@samfunkadelic, you are reacting to the carbohydrate you ate. The electrolyte imbalance often called keto “flu” is the result of stopping carbohydrate, as the kidneys return to their normal, higher rate of excreting sodium. All you have to do is to ride out the symptoms you are experiencing, and you’ll be fine. Remember to keep your salt intake up, or you may soon be experiencing the opposite of diarrhea!