Is it possible to be in dietary ketosis and not lose weight?

(PAMELA SMITH) #1

Is it possible to be in dietary ketosis and not lose weight?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

Yes. Absolutely.

If your fat intake is such that your body’s energy need is met, you will not burn fat.

Additionally, if you are doing any sort of additional movement, or even maintaining your movement, level, you may be building muscle, or just storing energy in muscle, while burning fat, so remain the same weight while losing inches.

Nutritional ketosis is not sufficient to effect weight loss, though generally weight loss accompanies nutritional ketosis for other reasons.

(PAMELA SMITH) #3

Thank you!

(Allie) #4

Certainly possible if you’re consuming too much food.

(J) #5

Absolutely!

I maintain my weight and am in nutritional ketosis ~90% of the time. I live an active lifestyle, exercise regularly, and eat <50gm total carbs most days.

Not only is it possible not to lose weight while being in ketosis, it’s possible to gain weight. There are several YouTube vloggers who are bodybuilders and doing that. There are a couple of members in my family who are trying to gain (or not lose) weight while maintaining a state of ketosis. The key seems to be eat enough so that your body burns the fat ingested rather than body fat. Calories do matter.

(Carl Keller) #7

Eating too many calories, lack of activity, chronic stress, underlying medical issues and not following the recommended macronutrient ranges can all negatively impact weight loss.