Is fat now bad?

(Casey Crisler) #1

I’ve been reading the keto sections on Reddit and a lot of posts seem to imply watch the fat content of food and watch calories. My belief has been fat is okay (obviously don’t eat a pound of lard) and cals? Who cares? It’s worked for me. I tend to follow the advice here more than Reddit. Although there is a lot of knowledgeable people, too many seem to be contradictory to what I have learned.

Thoughts?

(bulkbiker) #2

Is what you are doing now working for you?
If so then carry on…
If not then maybe try and change something but changing just because of something on Reddit doesn’t seem like a great idea to me… (not that I really know what Reddit is anyway)

I eat lots of fat and I do not count calories. Works for me, too!

(Todd Allen) #4

I think there is a lot of variability to how each of us personally responds to diet. Thus contradictory advice. Some need to watch total calories/fat intake and others don’t. If one doesn’t know what is best for themselves, probably starting with a moderate approach, tracking results and then testing variations ought to get one pretty far.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #5

I don’t know why, but many people are hearing “Eat all the fat that you can” when that’s not the message at all. Too much fat or fat in excess is bad. Your body has to deal with it just as it deals with any other excessive (food) intake. Stay away from fats high in PUFA’s.

• Carbs are a hard limit. (Everyone is different - find what works for YOU!. 20g works for almost everyone, while some can go up to 70g or more)
  • Protein is a rough recommendation with lots of leeway. (Everyone is different - find what works for YOU!. 70-150g works for many, some go a good deal more.)
  • Fat 'till your feeling full - so long as your satiety signaling is working correctly. If it’s not, exercise common sense and don’t go overboard on the fat. (On a 2000Cal diet, this is about 165-190g of fat depending on how hard you want to go on the fat. Think of it like two sticks of butter to consume over a whole day… but again, Everyone is different - find what works for YOU! )

Edited: to add the N=1 factor.

(Mark Rhodes) #6

A 23andme readout also has some interesting ideas about how you are genetically predisposed to fat. I tweaked my nutrition to meet that and started moving through a stall. It is definitely not unlimited fat.

(Vladaar Malane) #7

I eat a crap ton of fat. I actually don’t keep track.

Breakfasts weekends only, I don’t eat breakfast on weekdays. 3 eggs, an ounce of cream cheese, a few pieces of bacon. I cook the eggs in butter, and even pour excess butter after frying on the eggs.

For my lunch I usually have a spinach salad and add 2 packs of ranch dressing.

Dinner sometimes wife cooks mainly protein for me as we have to do 2 separate dinners at times. If it’s mainly protein with a vegetable I’ll plop on an ounce of cream cheese or dose the vegetables with ranch dressing.

These types of things though, keep me from being hungry and snacking all the time. I do snack occasionally but not as much as I used too.

I imagine that too much of anything is bad. I can agree with that. However, if I am getting my energy from fat, burning it that way… I think it’s less an issue, I’m not burning protein or carbs, at least not trying too for my energy source.

Carnivore, ( 4 months) I just eat meat and the fat it contains. For dinner sometimes, pork chops, belly pork, pork ribs, rump steaks, sirloin steaks, ribeye steaks, beef minced meat 20%fat etc.

Fish mainly salmon.

Dairy, 2 eggs and 2 oz of cheese plus a morning coffee with added extra thick cream every day for breakfast. Would one get bored with that same breakfast every day ? No more than one eating porridge or cornflakes every day.

I consider it a very balanced varied diet. Stable weight and I feel and look I may add with a smile, magnificent.

The reddit group is also pretty militant in their claim that you MUST restrict calories to lose weight on keto. It’s frustrating enough that I don’t hang out on there much anymore.

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

I do not follow any advice from Reddit, I consider it recreational reading only.

Fat to satiety is my rule and it seems to be working, over 2 yrs in and in maintenance mode for over a yr. I am only make one change to my way of eating. I went crazy for coconut oil, in coffee everyday, fat bombs etc. But I recently ran my DNA through a reporting system that points out genes to be concerned about and ones that are just normal. I do need to balance out saturated fats with poly/monosaturated fats. So I am doing more avocado oil, EVOO, and cutting back on coconut. I haven’t sorted out what to do for the fat bombs, but I’ll get there. Coffee it is just HWC in small amounts. I still eat bacon regularly and eggs are one of my dearest food friends according to my genetic report. So by no means am I going no saturated fats, just cutting back.

I don’t even acknowledge that calories are a thing now. I just concern myself with grams of carbs and protein, & fats to satiety. Works for me, and a lot of others around here.

(less is more, more or less) #11

Which is why I don’t waste time reading the Reddit Keto subreddits. There is good stuff there, but not much. Better is to find forums that are affiliated with known entities, like Dr. Westman’s online group on FB or this forum.

(Casey Crisler) #12

I agree. Reddit is becoming a sewer in a lot of ways. I’m about ready to dump it.

(Running from stupidity) #13

TBF, it’s actually not as bad as it used to be.

i.e. it’s a slightly cleaner sewer now.

(Casey Crisler) #14

I dunno. But I never saw the previous incarnation of it. I’m about ready to get it out of my life.

(Bob M) #16

Actually, there’s a theory that PUFAs are uniquely fattening. See my post in the Show me the science part, to Dr. Eades.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #17

I think maybe we’ve got different ideas on what the statement “eat all that you can” actually means. In the context I was intending, it means that some folks hear it and think that they can eat fat until they’re bursting at the seams, almost unable to take another mouthful, taking excess to a whole new level of excess… that kind of thing. There’s eating a little to excess, and yes, I agree, your body can handle that quite adequately, then there’s gorging to the point of being sick - some people do that (and when I used to binge eat, I did too). Hence the caveat - eat to satiety, so long as satiety signalling is working properly.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #19

I totally get it. I used to both be excited and horrified to go to a buffet for a meal. Excited at the range of foods and tastes, but horrified that I’d be rolling around in pain on the verge of throwing up because I stuffed so much food in! Thankfully, I now avoid buffets and if I do go, I’m very careful what to choose. You really have to eat A LOT for a buffet to lose money on you, but I was sure I was that customer. Now, they’re nothing more than a rip-off for me. :smile:

I’m the same way man. And it’s especially bad on weekends. I don’t know if it’s just habit (it’s at least partially habit) or something to do with a messed up dopamine reward association or what. I can be right on “plan” 6 nights a week but come 9:30-10:30pm on Saturday and I’ll inevitably wind up munching down on pork rinds, pepperoni chips, Halo Top, Costco protein bars, etc etc.

(Bunny) #21

”… When you consume a diet high in cholesterol, your body naturally produces less endogenous cholesterol, and the total overall amount is insignificantly changed. …” …More

Can I Eat Too Much Fat on a Ketogenic Diet? Two worries and 2 answers you will like…

Many people, even though they are having great success with a ketogenic diet, still worry that they will eat too much fat. This short video explains why we tend to worry about that, and exactly why we shouldn’t.