Interesting podcast series on hunter-gatherers and other similar tribes (4+ hours)

(Bob M) #1

The “Peak human” podcast author and also Mary Ruddick went to multiple locations in Africa to visit hunter-gatherer tribes and other similar tribes, like the Maasai. I had never heard of Mary Ruddick before, but she seems to have extensive knowledge of lectins, dairy (A1/A2 protein debacle, enzymes, etc.), and the like. Or at least she impressed me.

Anyway, if you have time for an interesting series on tribes living somewhat or very close to their original diets and lifestyle, I thought this was great. Note: some of the tribes have been displaced and aren’t nearly as close to their original diets as they were. Of course, grains and oils have entered their lives too, for some of them. Some of them do eat very close or completely as they always have.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Unfortunately, I don’t have time to listen to hour plus podcasts. These folks don’t seem to have a transcript feature to fall back on unless I missed it. So knowing nothing other than what you’ve said above, my only comments are that it’s easy to read too much into what modern hunter gatherers can tell us about our pre-Holocene hunter gatherer ancestors; and, I think we can learn more about what those ancestors actually ate by bone/dental and tool analysis than by comparing the diets of modern hunter gatherers. When you live in a world where mega fauna roam they’re going to be the center of your life. When you live in a world where most edible plants are 90% cellulose plants are not.

no way LOL

I saw on Discovery channel the evolution to life in an hr and the first 15 mins was all about african tribes eating more meat etc to increase brain power and without this evidence which the show supported and hit their claim, yea I am good but cool info for one who wants to delve deeper.

(Bob M) #4

By the way, they measured the ketones of the Maasai and the Hazda…and got very low ketones. Basically, what mine are (0.1-0.2 mmol/l).

I find these easy to listen to, as I have a 30+ minute drive each way to and from work. So, in one week, I can listen to all of these.

Videos, on the other hand…I never have time for these.

The woman who was there is actually quite knowledgeable about us (people not living as they are). She goes into detail about how food processing limits lectins, for instance. (Did you know 4 day fermented bread dramatically reduces gluten, and gluten is a lectin?) And she goes into the whole “dairy” issue, including A1/A2 proteins. According to her, most people can eat dairy with no problems, as long as they have A2 and/or raw dairy. This alone is worth it, if you have the time.

(Bob M) #5

Knowing what our pre-Holocene hunter gatherers ate helps us, how?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

To understand what humans adapted to eat primarily, I suppose. One of my gripes is reading ‘studies’ of modern hunter gatherers who eat this or that carb food which may or may not have even existed in its present form during the Pleistocene. Then that example being used to make a generalization about ‘humans evolving’ to eat said carbs - eg starchy fibrous tubers. In her blog, Amber O’Hearn talks about a couple of egregious examples of this sort of nonsense. One here.

There is, in fact, a serious hypothesis that humans are what we are (big-brained bipedal primates) because our ancestors started eating cooked fibrous tubers 2 million years ago. Even though said tubers require long and slow roasting to extract any nutrients at all (very little) and there’s zero evidence of prehumans and humans using fire more than 800kya or consistently for cooking more than 400kya. One so-called researcher used the standard potato, probably purchased at her local super, as an example of a starchy tuber which cooked yields nutrients. What she apparently does not know is that potatoes are native to the Andes of Peru and Bolivia and our hunter gatherer ancestors in Africa were not eating them 800kya, 400kya or even 20kya.

All around our Pleistocene ancestors were grazing herds of mega fauna and we’re supposed to think that they wasted time and energy digging up roots. Even the Hunza today, who are used a a prime example of tuber eating hunter gatherers consider tubers ‘starvation/survival’ food eaten only when in dire need.

What it tells me, so far, is that we evolved and adapted to living primarily in ketosis. Doing so is our natural metabolic state and therefore leads to our best chance of overall health, well-being and longevity. Just my opinion.