Infernal server error

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

Okay, it’s actually “internal server error” but it keeps popping up.

I’ll hit Reply after typing out my genius at the bottom of a thread and the response is the Don’t Rush Me I’m Thinking circle and then it’ll inform me that there is a 504, 502, or an Internal Server Error and then my reply/post will just go back to an unposted editing box with all my text still sitting there, waiting.

It’s taking me two or three tries to get anything up. I feel like Mel Brooks after one martini.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Ditto. It’s most aggravating!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Well, at least I’m not the only one, not that I wish to spread misery.

Maybe the site gods will address it, any way to get ahold of them? When’s the last time anyone’s heard from Carl or Richard?

(Todd Allen) #4

It’s happened to me the last couple times I’ve attempted to post. In each case I got interrupted for several minutes and I think the pause causes the trouble. A possible way to test this would be to shift to writing in a different editor and pasting in the prewritten replies here.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

I’ve encountered it during both long and short posts. I feel like it has something to do with the amount of work the site is being asked to do.

Perhaps it is time for an upgrade or maybe older stuff can be archived somewhere to make room for newer stuff. Don’t know, not a comp nerd, but I have noticed there are some categories that haven’t been touched in years. Just sayin’.

Pretty sure it’s being self hosted, probably running on Windows :rofl:

that was mean…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

The server and the Discourse software run on Linux, btw. Just sayin’.

It looks as though we have reached capacity again, even with the new hard drive. I guess another upgrade is called for.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

I finally logged in just now after trying unsuccessfully for 3 days: 504 error.

What the–?

Haha, figured as much, just busting balls. I’d hope nothing that requires uptime would ever run on Windows :grin:

(Ethan) #10

Haha yeah… we had this discussion before, as well as the one on why it’s not using cloud services for dynamic changes

(Doug) #11

Indeed, Todd. There are times I’ve lost a big post… Also times where I’ve been able to go ‘back’ and the text is still there. Anymore, I often write replies somewhere else, just to be safe.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Discourse has an automatic backup that saves unposted posts, but I’m not sure how frequently, and if the server is having trouble, it may not be reliable in any case. At the very least, if you are working on a long post, periodically highlight the whole thing and use the Copy command (in Windows it’s Ctrl-Ins or Ctrl-C). The idea of composing in a word processing program is a good one, since it lets you explicitly save your work periodically.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

Still encountering 504 server errors when loading the site and 502 errors when posting. Today, in particular.

Edit: Took me three @#%*! tries just to post this.

(Richard Morris) #14

I see the problem. Working on a permanent solution.

Sorry for the disruption

(Stickin' with mammoth) #15

Hi, Richard!

I’m so glad you are able to identify the engine weasels. May your mission go smoothly.

Keto on.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #16

Here we are again. Slow. Slow. Slow. Response. To. All. Any. Input. Even. Just. Go. To. Different. Page.

Repeated ‘Bad Gateway’ and ‘Intermal Sever Error’ trying to post or edit. Just got ‘Internal Sever Error’ trying to look at a user profile.

I’m in Vancouver, Canada, if that matters.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

We seem to be approaching the limit of the server’s storage capacity again.

(Joey) #18

And we’re baaaaack!

Seems like quite a while since that darned gateway error first appeared until just now. Hearty thanks to whomever got this worked out. :+1: (Edit: Not surprisingly, it was Richard)

(Richard Morris) #19

It was a week offline. Sorry. Should be back up and happy and if our mail host behaves it should stay up.

Thanks, Richard. I also spoke with Carl about a week or so ago, and will send ya an PM here shortly.