Inches yes! lbs no?

(Raj Seth) #5

So - was this a post about how well you are doing? It seems that you are replete with NSVs - non scale victories. And this is 6 weeks in! You figured it out.
KCKO
Other changes will come in their own time. The important changes are already happening

As @LeCheffre said above - all is good. Eat more fat and less protein is the only thing I can add. However, with your fantastic progress, maybe don’t change a thing!!

PS. If choosing between losing waist circumference and weight - waist circumference is waaaaay more important- central adiposity is what you want to lose - the fat in and around the organs! I lost 0 pounds but lost 6-8” on my waist from January-April. Couldn’t be happier

well you folks have pointed out some good points health wise so thank you for the feed back. I just get paranoid when i read about people losing crazy amounts and want to make sure I’m making progress. I’m ok with slow as long its working. i guess the biggest unknown for me is the recomposing? I’m active but not going hardcore the way i would think is required to build muscle gains? as for the beer i was on vacation it was only 2 occasions. (2 months ago i drank 3-4 times week) thanks againfor the feedback.

(Raj Seth) #7

Slow? You keep saying that. 6 weeks in, with a high protein intake - you have made great progress so far. You are probably close to being fully ketofied- ie fat adapted!!
Don’t change a thing

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

It’s an issue of weight vs mass.

Our bodies are actually an object of mass, but we don’t have an easy way to measure mass, so instead we use weight. Weight is arbitrary though. It isn’t a measure of how large we are. It’s a measure of the Earths gravitational pull on an object. Thus even a 10pound dumbbell will weigh more at the Dead Sea and less as the top of Mount Everest.
Mass by contrast is the actual space an object takes up.

THe real goal of a diet is to lose mass. If you could go down 3 sizes but never lose a pound, would you be okay with that?
Or if you lost 10 pounds but actually had to buy larger pants because you got larger, would you think you’ve achieved something?

Right now you are losing mass. It’s body recompositioning. Lean muscle is denser than fat, thus replacing the later with the former will mean you are getting smaller while staying the same weight, or perhaps even gaining.
This shouldn’t be viewed as failing or not working.

(Alec) #9

I’m with @Anniegirl9, I think you are losing some fat (not huge, but some) and building muscle. If you are active, this will just happen.

(Ron) #10

Since no one offered a suggestion I will tell you how I solved this issue.

• Bought pork belly and with a 10/12 oz steak will add thin cut slices of pork belly 2/4 oz depending on the cut of meat. Pork bellies are high fat %.
  • Grind my own hamburger and add tallow to get a 70/30 to 60/40 ratio fat protein balance.
  • Will put 2 oz or so of Boursin Gourmet Cheese on the finished steak or burger before consuming. Or you can smother it with Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter.
  • Macadamia nuts crushed in sour cream are great for spreads.
  • Green and Black olives will help lots with fat also.
    Hope this gives you more variety.

Can I get some encouragement please?
(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #11

That’s actually volume.

weight is a force, while mass is the property that (along with gravity) determines the strength of this force.
mass can be generalized as the amount of matter in an object.

Volume is the amount of space something takes up. Be it feathers or tungsten. A kilo of tungsten masses the same as a kilo of feathers. They will have the same mass, on the bottom of the ocean, on the top of Kilimanjaro, or on the Moon. They will weigh 2.2 lbs at sea level at the same spot on earth, and their weight will scale regardless of where we move them, as gravity pulls on mass.

The tungsten, being very dense, will take up a lot less room. Less volume.

In our cases, inches are essentially volume. Crude measure of how much space our stuff takes up. If your weight remains constant, but you recompose 5% of your body, you will be denser, take up less space. But mass is unchanged.

(Michelle) #12

I get my proteinless fat in my coffee (2 cups coffee with 1 Tbsp each butter, heavy cream, MTC or coconut oil)
Also in my lunch which typically includes an avocado and a few olives.
I try to eat a small piece of meat with dinner and cook my veggies in lots of bacon grease or butter.

Also - keep in mind that fat-adaptation to the point of 100% takes at least 6 weeks, and depending on midlife hormonal status and any metabolic issues, up to six months or a year.

You asked “How do you get enough fat with out eating meat?”

Easy peasy - via adding 2-4 tablespoons of some combo of coconut oil, butter, ghee, and cream to your morning coffee/tea (it’s also a great appetite suppressant, and may instantly help you skip breakfast). There are many recipes for “bulletproof” coffee and teas online. If you make a smoothie with whole fat yogurt and/or undenatured whey and grassfed collagen (which some of us weight lifters do), be sure to add at least a tablespoon of extra good fat on top of any avocado - as well as to add at least one good pinch of salt for flavor and absorption.

Also, adding avocado and/or raw avocado oil and butter to many meals is very satiating.

You can buy super discounted coconut oil and avocado oil at Costco and on Amazon.

If you haven’t already checked out the classic LCHF books “Protein Power” by Drs. Mary Dan and Michael Eades, and “The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living” by Drs. Phinny & Volek - they are great companions in the keto journey.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #14

I stand corrected. I should have said volume, not mass.

But my point still stands.

YES!!! this ^

And this! ^
Scales can be a helpful tool but it’s so hard to understand that they don’t really measure the things that are important for health (or vanity).

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #17

Absolutely. We want to do some proportionizing. That is a typical goal. Thinner waist, bigger shoulders for men.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #18

If only body recompositioning deposited fat in the chest for women. Instead it’s the first place I lose it.

Alas, not even Keto can work that miracle.

(Raj Seth) #19

I thought saline fixed that :rofl:. So water and salt is the same thing, right?

(Sarah Bruhn) #20

As for fat- add sour cream, coconut oil, cream, mayo, keto cheese sauce, oil (avacardo/olive) and vinegar dressing, bullet proof coffee, fat bombs, cheese…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

You can increase your fat by cooking with bacon grease, butter, lard, tallow, coconut oil. Put butter and cheese on everything. I put butter on my cheese, yum! Switch from milk to heavy cream, buy chicken with the skin still on, roast a pork shoulder (it comes with its own layer of fat), you get the idea.

(Raj Seth) #22

Oh yeah two slices of chees with butter between. My kinda sandwich!

(Jacob Dueholm) #23

As everyone in here is saying:
You’re doing great!
You want your weight loss to show on the scales, I get it. I do too!
And my initial process was very similar to yours; my pant wouldn’t stay up anymore, my jacket was getting bigger, I felt GREAT! But my weight wouldn’t budge for a long, long time. Well, I lost 20 pounds over course of ten weeks, but that was hardly as great a result as I had hoped, seeing as the keto diet is praised for its efficiency.
I figured something had to be done. I scoured the internet for something I could add to my keto.
And I stumbled upon OMAD. One Meal A Day. It turned out to be the key.
I’m not going into the specifics here, but it means that you fast for around 22 hours a day and you eat all of your food within the remaining 2-hour window.
It may sound insane, but when you’re already on keto, it’s easier than you think. Plus it comes with an array of health benefits.
Go on YouTube and search keto omad, and you’ll find everything you need.
I especially watch Thomas DeLaur’s videos. He has a great take on the keto IF deal.

(Michelle) #24

I was just explaining OMAD to my husband. And the science behind it. If we limit our insulin response to one three hour event once a day, even if we eat ~2000 calories in that one meal, then during the rest of the day our insulin response is gone and our bodies are burning fat. Like a lot of women I am stuck and feel that 24 hour fasts or OMAD will help.