I'm still spilling ketones

(Yery Colombón) #1

Hi everyone. I’m on day 29 of starting my keto lifestyle and I’m still having large ketones in my urine. I have heard different thinks about keto testing, good and bad. Can anyone enlighten me as of why if im still in full ketosis i have not lost a lb ?
I’m very discouraged… I count my carbs, I IF 16/8 and I started working out last week to increase weight loss… I’m 32 have 3 kids and i live am active lifestyle.
Hubby is keto too he’s 36 with hig BP and arrhythmia… No changes on him either. Are we doing anything wrong?

(Karen Fricke) #2

What do you typically eat in a day? Sometimes there are 1 or 2 things causing the problem.

(Yery Colombón) #3

Black coffee in the am.
3 hamburger patties with lettuce avocado jalapenos and some mayo for lunch
Dinner is usually available eggs with sausage or bacon

I was drinking crystal light but stopped this past Monday.

(Karen Fricke) #4

Potentially too much protein, three hamburger patties would likely be 12 ounces, then eggs and meat for supper adds up to way more than the 1g/kg lean body mass (50-60 grams) of protein for the day. More green leafy veggies with butter might help.

(Bob) #5

You need to keep track of your macros. (Fat, Protein and Carbs). All of us are different and need to adjust our macros to achieve our goals. I was eating 5 grams of carbs a day and 100 grams of protein daily. I was only losing two lbs a week. I changed my protein to 80 grams daily and my carbs to 5 grams 3 days a week and I started losing 4 pounds a week. I found out that I was eating too much fat also. After I started IF (intermittent fasting) I was able to get a grasp of what and how much to eat not only to stay in ketosis but also to lose weight. I also discovered that I could not eat certain foods like lunch meat. All those chemicals and other stuff were throwing me out of ketosis. I wanted to lose weight and put my diabetes in remission and found that for me a strict keto diet was essential. Just the basics. No prepared food or recipes. I ate cans of herring and sardines full of omega 3 fat and just 25 grams of protein. BP coffee, olive oil and for a treat once or twice a week a grass fed ribeye, or pork bellies or spinach salad with eggs and bacon. Eating like this for two months and I lost 40 lbs and my A1C dropped from 7.9 to 6.5. Now I have backed off a strict keto diet and am adding more foods to my diet. To sum it up, keep it simple with basic whole foods and and adjust your macros to see how your body adjusts. I hope that helps and congratulations on finding out the truth about diet.

Bob, what a great answer - simple but with great concrete information.

(Allie) #7

I’m over two years keto and still get purple on the pee sticks, with anything between 0.6 (first thing or after gym) and 3.4 on blood testing. Don’t stress it. Judge by how you feel.

(mags) #8

Hi allie
I was just hunting around for an answer and just saw this post from you. I have been pretty much strict keto since early February. I IF & EF and have been losing well up until the last couple of weeks. Had 2 sessions of the evil drink which has stalled me out :expressionless:. Anyways I thought I’d use a pee stick for first time in a while. Its dark purple and has been that way from the beginning. Should that be the case still after all this time? I notice most people say that shouldn’t happen once fat adapted.

(Allie) #9

@Magsymaybe I still get the darkest colours sometimes after three years, try not to worry.

(mags) #10

Thanks for that. I wasn’t worried as such but thought it was strange. Do you use anything to track your ketones? I’ve read about cheap breathalysers and so on. I’m quite interested in trying something because I would like some self experimentation with different foods and particularly sweeteners. I’ve avoided all sweeteners so far but it wld be nice to have the occasional treat.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #11

Mine have been in the deep purple range since day 3 and have never budged from there.

Well, I never have to worry whether I’m actually in ketosis or not, so there’s that.

(mags) #12

Good to know I’m not alone. We are all individual snowflakes aren’t we :grinning:

(Allie) #13

I use a blood meter to track both ketones and glucose

(mags) #14

Sorry to keep pestering you. Which one do you have and are the tester stripes very expensive?

(Allie) #15

Hi :slight_smile:
I don’t know if the one I have is available where you are, but it’s this one -

I’ve found a seller on eBay that gives a very good price on strips (50 of each type for £52 with free shipping) but unless you’re in the UK, I’m not sure this will help you

(mags) #16

Cheers for that. I’m in Wales mate :grinning:

(mags) #17

I’m definitely going to get one come pay day. Thanks for your help

(Allie) #18

I’ll message you the eBay link for the strips :slight_smile:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #19

I know, they say ignore the urine strips. But I’m at week eight and for the first time showing pink daily. Only hit pink four times in eight weeks. Usually negative. I’m strict keto - and still kinda jealous of all you purple people! I only change colors around three every afternoon. Someone here suggested that insulin resistance can confound the results. To my knowledge, I don’t have that problem. But as they say, you are either in ketosis or not, the shade does not matter. So I guess I’m good - I’m just fascinated but the different results.

I’m 6 months into keto, have never cheated once, and my always dark ketostixs have just now started changing to a lighter color. I assume I’m finally using and not wasting my ketones, so I’m happy.