I'm scared I will gain weight if I go full keto!

(Emma) #1

Hi everyone,
I’m relatively new to Keto (started on feb 28th this year), but I feel I haven’t been going “extreme keto”. Why do I mean by this? No bulletproof coffee, no spoonfuls of butter, olive oil, no fat bombs… I’m keeping my net carbs between 20-30 (on naughty days),completely cut off refined carbs and sugar, an my fat intake is between 50-80 grams, protein 70-100. I workout 4 times a week (weights and cardio) and so far I have lost 8.5 kilos (18.7 pounds). HOWEVER, I am considering going higher on fats and lower in carbs, but I have to admit it scares me a lot! The main reason why I started this was to keep my weight under control, so now I’m scared I will gain weight by increasing my fats…does that make any sense? I know it’s silly, but this is the way my brain has been programmed to think for the past 26 years… I’d appreciate it if anyone could please give me some advice, I really need it!
On another note, my husband is COMPLETELY against keto, which is why it’s also difficult for me to actually eat high fat food… he says I’ll die of a heart attack and a balanced diet would be better (he eats rice, pasta, pizza and bread and is SUPER thin!) and I have stopped eating all those things and replaced them with food that has a higher fat content and veggies…Anywho, enough about me! Hope to get some answers on this soon! Thank you :smile: PS: I don’t have a gallbladder either, was removed 6 years ago, hope that doesn’t affect eating higher amounts of fat either

(David) #2

You are right, it is silly (it, not you), but it is the same silly wrong advice we all got programmed with growing up.

Aah the old diet-heart hypothesis which has been disproved so many times. You’ll find links to the evidence on these forums.

He’s lucky. He’s Mr Constant-Weight. Read the book “Eat fat, grow slim” and you’ll see that his metabolism speeds up to deal with those foods leaving nothing left to lay down as fat. Shame we all can’t be like that.

Eat more butter, more fatty meat, more bacon, more eggs. And enjoy.

Welcome to the forums, enjoy increasing your fat knowing that you are doing the right thing.

(Emma) #3

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Just had a salad with avocado and olive oil… I will try and see how I feel…also I forgot to mention, I don’t have a gallbladder…but anyways I really hope this works, I will trust the process :smile:

(David) #4

You might be better having smaller meals more frequently (according to Prof Noakes) to make up for not having a gall bladder and dealing with the fat. This unfortunately conflicts with the advice to eat fewer meals to keep insulin lower.

You will need to do an n=1 experiment, methinks.

(Dustin Cade) #5

my understanding is the gallbladder just holds bile, this is used to breakdown fat, on low fat diets the bile goes unused and calcifies and causes the issues that lead to having it removed… so this being said, perhaps slowly increasing your fat intake to allow the body to adapt to producing enough bile to breakdown the rise in fat being eaten… this is what i understand from info i have read…

(Michelle) #6

I think @carl’s wife doesn’t have a gallbaladder, and i know she’s not full keto. Or maybe I just dreamed that? I know keto can be done without a gallbladder, so hopefully someone here can chime in.

GOOD LUCK!! This is the easiest and best way I’ve ever found to eat.

(Tom Seest) #7

I can alleviate your fears and assure you that you will gain weight on Keto, or just living. We all gain and lose weight throughout the day. Over time, has your health continues to improve, you should lose weight.

Until then, don’t worry. Be happy.

(Bacon for the Win) #8

I believe Jimmy Moore’s wife also has no gallbladder. Don’t know if she’s keto though.

I have no gallbladder, it has been gone almost 6 years. I have been at Keto for almost 8 weeks eating at least 150 grams fat/day. I track my macros on My Fitness Pal. I have absolutely no issues eating fat and haven’t since the surgery- I have no issues with fat bombs even. Good luck!

(Emma) #11

This definitely gives me hope! I’ve been eating more fat for the past couple of days and everything seems to be ok :smile: I’m only having 85 grams though (based on the macros I got from a keto calculator)

(David) #12

Don’t feel like you have to restrict the fat. If you want to go over 85g you go over. The only thing I try to restrict is the carbs, and keep my protein within my range. But I have eaten Kerrygold off the block one night when I was peckish, just because my protein was fairly high.

(Emma) #13

Thank you for the advice, I will keep that in mind. Just had my coffee with a bit of unsalted butter this morning and it really helps with my snacking! I will have my weigh in on saturday and see if there has been any change. I’vebeen increasing my fats quite a bit this week and reducing my carbs a lot (I was on 25-30 total carbs,I’ve dereased it to 20 total carbs)

(Todd Allen) #14

My gall bladder is fine but my sister and brother have both had issues so I’ve done some reading. As I understand it, if you overdo fat you will know it due to cramping or diarrhea. The problem with fat is more about rate than total amount so while you may find a limit to how much fat you can add to your meals consuming additional fat distanced from meals should be fine. If you have any of insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome/type 2 diabetes it might be best to keep your protein & carbs limited to a time window while spreading fat intake throughout the entire day.

(Keto in Katy) #15

For most people, dietary fat cannot metabolize as body fat when carbohydrates are restricted (~20 grams or fewer daily is the general rule). Insulin is the fat storage hormone, and insulin levels rise in response to elevated glucose (from carbs). Restrict the carbs, insulin levels normalize, and the body is able to access fat stores to burn for energy. Everyone is a bit unique so you may need to experiment with your macros, but this is basic human metabolism.

“Balanced diet” is one of those popular phrases that so many people use without thinking it through. Balance sounds good, right? Who doesn’t want balance in their life?

The problem is that it is a perfectly meaningless term.

I have yet to hear anyone give me a proper definition of what a balanced diet is. A balance among what constituent parts? Carbs, protein and fat maybe? OK, then what are the proportions that create the balance? Is it exactly one third of each, or something else? Any response to this question will be an entertaining cocktail of opinion, tradition, and habit, devoid of facts or basis in nutritional science.

I have no gall bladder, and I eat at least 75% fat every day and some days it’s closer to 80%. I’ve had no issues with fat.

Thx for sharing! I don’t have gallbladder issues but I’ve always been curious!!

I also have no gall bladder and have been keto for… oh, heck I don’t know – six to eight months?

The only times I have problems digesting fat is on intermittent fasting days when I have ONLY fat ie. a huge blob of coconut oil in my morning coffee. So I’m going to cut back on that.

I did an experiment on myself last month when I ate 80 percent or more calories from fat for a week and my digestion was just fine. I was eating around 110-150 grams of fat a day.

(Emma) #19

Thank you all for your replies, I really reaaaally appreciate it! I’ve increased my fat consumption over the past week and it’s been mostly ok! Some discomfort here and there but i guess my body needs some time to adjust…! Either way, I’ll try my best to keep my macros as they are now (5 to 10 % cabrs, 25 to 30% protein and 60 to 70% fat, my new best friend haha :blush:

(Tracy) #20

Same goes for me. I think some people just need to ramp up the fat a little more slowly than others that’s all. But don’t be afraid of the fat; it’s awesome! :grin:

(Emma) #21

Quick question regarding bulletproof coffee… at the moment I’m having coffee with two tablespoons heavy whipping cream and 14g kerrygold unsalted butter… I received a suggestion to replace the butter with coconut oil… what is the difference? And if I do, should I use the same amount (14g)??