I'm losing weight again after a 1.5 year stall

(Amy ) #21

Carl, have you been having any vegetables during this experiment? If so, what kind of portions?

(Elliot Ketley) #22

I was doing lazy Keto and lost 30 pounds really easily then stalled and wondered what went wrong, I thought that taking in fat in the form of bullet proof coffee etc might help but of course it didnā€™t. Then I found a great Facebook group that encourages you to work out your daily macros and not be scared of protein the whole GNG thing is not something that will slow weight loss down in fact protein sasiates you with less calories than fat and so is encouraged.When you I have plenty of body fat to burn put less on your plate. The results have been great for me now burning fat again while retaining and growing lean muscle tissue.

(Annabel Kennedy) #23

Thanks for sharing Carl. I bought some pork belly to cook this week. Would love to know how you make your iced coffee :grinning:

(Collene A Reynolds ) #24

? Explain

(Rob) #25

japs = jalapenos I believe (typically on all of rustyā€™s plates on the ā€œwhat did you ketoā€ thread)

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #26

:sunglasses:

(Candy Lind) #27

EXACTLY. I have to tease Rusty about his ribeyes, his jalapenos, his buffalo chicken thighs ā€¦ :wink:

Congratulations on building good health again!
A helpful FYI personalized formula from my Keto Nutritionist is a 1:1 ratio (or more on the fat side)
Protein grams + Net Carb grams : Fat grams (1:1)

To accurately figure your keto macros ratios you need to know your lean body mass index and then it is multiplied by activity level (.5 sedentary to 1.0 active) to determine total protein. That is your protein macro.

Use 20 carbs for strict keto macro. And then to figure fat macro, add together your protein number and carb to get a total; that number is your fat macro.

Simplified Example:
Lean body mass is 100 lbs
Activity/Exercise level is multiplied by .5 (sedentary) to 1.0 (active and athletic)
100 x .5 (sedentary) = 50 grams protein daily
Net Carbs = 20 net carbs for strict Keto
Formula says to add 50 g Protein + 20 g Net Carbs = 70
Match the 70 to get the 1:1 ratio to create 70 g total Fat

Fat can go higher to keep hunger at bay so the ratio can increase fats for hunger and you will still lose so long as you donā€™t get crazy with excess overeating.

Obviously this can be adjusted if more active and depending on carb sensitivity - keto MUST be personalized to you for it work continuously and to feel good.

Donā€™t forget to readjust macros as you lose weight!

dietdoctor.com is an AMAZING learning tool and resource too! AND, all the docs and recipes are 100% keto and LCHF focused! Yea!

Good luck and Keep up the good health!

100% correct!

(PAULA GRAINGER) #30

Hello Carl. Iā€™ve been a vegetarian for 40 years. I have been eating more cheese and eggs, not fasting much. Most of the recipes I look at are made with cheese and eggs. I had hardly eaten them in many years until I found the lchf diet. I canā€™t fast for very long. Dishearteningā€¦( I have been locked out of the group fasts for weeks). There is a lot of advice for meat eaters on a keto diet but I donā€™t think there is any for vegetarians.So what do I do? I know about olive oil which I try to drink 2-4 tabs per day in the hope that it will save me. How much is enough? I have fat deposits in my liver( statin drugs.) Would this also contribute to my lack of weight loss? I feel my life is in my own incapable hands. But thank you for the info on protein, it might be the problem in my case.

While not a vegetarian, I do not like fatty meat and do not eat pork. I eat a lot of cheese, avocados and wholly guacamole which I buy in the single serve packs. Sometimes I will spoon coconut oil or butter. I tend not to worry about fat. I think I get enough. I worry more about eating too many carbs through nuts and berries. People have suggested using vegetables and salads as a means to serve yourself more butter and salad dressing fats (I make my own mayonaise and use that as a basis for ceasar and blue cheese dressings). For example make broccoli and add a bunch of fat to it as part of a recipe

I also attend OA (Overeaters Anonymous) meetings. OA and keto are a synergistic pair.

Thank you so much for this post. It has helped me get back to loosing weight.

Keto was the first success I had loosing weight. However, it quickly became a lifestyle choice because of how itā€™s helped me control my migraines. I have gone from about 20 or more days of migraines a month to migraines when the barometric levels rise or drop severely.

Now, Iā€™m not even IFing consistently anymore. Itā€™s just not necessary. Instead Iā€™m focused on my fat and protein intake. I use macadamias nuts, avocado, eggs and paleo mayonnaise mostly. Itā€™s easier to try to hit my macros if Iā€™m eating things that are high fat and protein in the same food. Then I add veggies on the side as much as I want.

To others who are interested in calories. I donā€™t count them. Iā€™ve never really been able to eat enough protein to satisfy my macros.

Thank you again for helping me remember what made Keto work to lose weight.

(Central Florida Bob ) #34

I have to post a ā€œme, tooā€ - Iā€™m trying it.

At the end of '15, I started doing IFs, only having lunch and dinner. Already keto. After the start of '16, I went to OMAD, most days (not all). By August of that year, I had lost 50 pounds. And Iā€™ve lost another couple and gained back another five pounds over and over and over. I canā€™t honestly say Iā€™ve lost another pound since August of '16 - over a year and a half.

Dr. Westman has video where he says that at some point, you may need to calorie restrict, so the other day I did some counting about an annoying scale weight gain. I didnā€™t see how I could have had enough extra calories to gain five pounds in a week.

That told me if it wasnā€™t calories, it has to be insulin response, and if I do better on OMAD, I need to just do it. Or extend my fasts. My longest fast is nothing, just 36 hours.

Iā€™m 6ā€™ and 210, +/- 2. (64yo male) Iā€™d really like to push that under 200. I think the least Iā€™ve weighed in my adult life was around 190-195.

Iā€™ll be following this thread for other ideas.

(Liz) #35

Brilliant newsā€¦congrats on figuring out what works for you. Really inspiring, thanks :handshake:

(Solomom A) #36

There was this excellent podcast with a vegetarian doc on KetoTtalk, you may have a look:
[http://ketotalk.com/2017/11/92-keto-talk-mailbox-blitz-vegan-keto-edition-with-special-guest-dr-carrie-diulus/]

(carl) #37

I think you should solicit the advice of keto vegetarians. I donā€™t know enough about it, nor do I have experience with it. How bout starting a new conversation and seeing who joins?

Just an FYI here on the science of eating vegetarian and brain healthā€¦great psychiatrist presentation. https://www.dietdoctor.com/video/presentations/ede-breck2018?autoplay=1887357

Amen to no more migraines!

Check this out. Hope it helps.