If you're tracking calories...PLEASE buy/use a food scale

(Alec) #122

Anyone else struggle with this Delauer bloke? Lots of long words, but I never seem to learn much…

Technically, metric is the US’ “preferred” measurement system. Even is US Code http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title15/chapter6/subchapter2&edition=prelim Most of our alcohol is measured in metric, most bottled water is labeled at 500ml now where it used to be 16.9oz, everything for the government it typically metric, when I was doing telecom work almost all our cable was in meters not feet, If you really pay attention we’ve been transitioning VERY slowly for a long time. All my measuring cups have both, my blender has both, our serving sizes are almost completely metric, my shaker cups has ml on it, our soda comes in liters, the list goes on and on. Kids today in school spend very little time on fractions as well, I’ve noticed the last couple years more and more measurements are displaying metric first then imperial in parenthesis where it used to be the other way around. All the highways signs in NH display both mi and km, Arizona has that metric highway which is hilarious, It’s coming!

(Karim Wassef) #124

LOL. I like him

here’s what I got out of it

1. fat > colocystic kinin (CCK) release to digest fat > slows digestion > signals brain to stop eating
  2. ketones increase > Ghrelin decline > less hunger
  3. fiber > gut fermentation > butyrate & propionate short chain fatty acids > trigger PYY hormones & Glucagon Like Peptide 1 > less hunger
  4. higher protein > trigger PYY & GLP1 > less hunger

Basically, just like insulin is controlled in ketosis, 4 hunger hormones are also controlled: CCK, Ghrelin, PYY, & GLP1

(traci simpson) #125

As a newbie, it’s very stressful and confusing when I read that I have to track macros, and calories and carbs also. Just knowing that I have to stay under 20g is about all I can do for now.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #126

Keeping your carbohydrate low is 90-95% of this way of eating. As long as you do that and you eat enough calories (by eating protein and fat to satisfy your hunger), you will be fine. The rest is there for you to get into when you are ready. If I had to count macros and calories, I could never have managed a ketogenic diet—it would have driven me crazy.

For many people that’s all it takes to be successful, don’t stress yourself about it. If your progress isn’t moving the way you like, then consider tracking more.

(traci simpson) #128

I think I’m just really enjoying eating great food. The only thing I can think of that might be the stall would be those little Mentos mints. I love those things. I might have 2 or 4 but I’ve only had them maybe 3 times since I’ve started.

(traci simpson) #129

I go online sometimes to see how many carbs and at times its different from what is on the product or the way you cook it etc., cauliflower has different carbs based on whether its raw, frozen or cooked??!!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #131

@PaulL advice just to keep carbs sub-20 and don’t worry about the rest until you decide to deal with it - or not. Many people on the forum do just that and apparently lead healthy and happy lives. :slightly_smiling_face:

If that confuses you, the choice is don’t prepare/eat that particular item and select some more clearcut alternative. OR use whatever is the MAX carbs regardless of how you specifically prepare/eat it. Keto does not have to be complicated or difficult. AND you don’t have to obsess over minutiae.

It’s not that the carbs somehow evaporate or multiply when cooking. :grinning: These differences are adjusting for the water that evaporates during cooking (and sometimes the fat that renders out for meat). Say you weigh out 100g of raw cauliflower and it has, I don’t know, 5g of carbs. Then you cook it and a lot of the water evaporates during cooking. You put it back on the scale, but now it weighs less, because there’s less water, maybe 60–80g, depending on how you cooked it. But the amount you have still has 5g of carbs. However, you want 100g of cooked cauliflower, so you top up the amount on your scale. This has more carbs simply because it started as more raw cauliflower.

If you’re measuring, it doesn’t really matter whether you weigh it cooked or raw as long as you choose the right item to calculate–if you put it on the scale cooked, don’t choose raw from a tracking program.

Don’t forget about weed, coke, heroin, etc. That’s measured in grams and kilos, lol. I’ve known that one ounce is 28 grams ever since I was a teenager.

Going to shut up now before I incriminate myself. :slight_smile:

(Alec) #134

Careful, you’ve said it now! :joy::joy:

Why is this, do you know? Someone trying to confuse the cops?? :joy:

Probably because it’s imported from and packed into kilos in countries that use the metric system. It’s also re-sold in very small amounts because it’s so expensive. It’s easier to go with grams than partial ounces. Also, when you’re re-packaging something that came in a kilo, it’s probably easier just to break it down into grams.

(Alec) #136

I did not know this… really interesting! I have always assumed the US was doing a FU sign to the rest of the world and saying “you do you, we’re happy with our measurements, thank you!”

From what you’ve said that is completely wrong, and we will eventually get to global alignment on metric. I will be long dead by then, but it does make sense we all measure the same way in our globally connected world.

I guess we will eventually.
In the UK we’re the same, in that we work both systems.
Most things are sold in metric values but road signs are still in miles, speed limits miles per hour and consumption is mpg with fuel sold in litres.
Milk is weird. Its sold in litres but some places have it as 1l, 2l etc but others its 2.something because its actually still measured in pints. So the 2.something is 4 pints.

I find things really tricky. I grew up in a household using lbs and oz, pints etc but was taught kg and meters in school and I swap between the 2 regularly.
I sew and buy fabric in meters but use 5/8" or 1/4" seam allowance (no idea what that is in mm. I could work it out, but I’m happy with 1/4" so why bother?)
Recipes make more sense in oz (I kinda know how 2oz butter looks but not 50g. Bizarre, I know) but I weight things out in g. I would rather walk 3 miles than 5km (actually I’d rather not walk either, but that’s me being overweight and lazy).
Then there’s yarn for crocheting/ knitting- bought in 100g balls usually, sometimes 50g, sometimes 150g. I like patterns that tell me how many yards/meters of yarn I’m likely to need :crazy_face:
I try to use metric when I’m talking to my kids but I can’t always do the mental gymnastics required to do conversations.:exploding_head:
Hey ho. I managed this far and I’m not stressing over something that really isn’t that big an issue.:wink:

(Doug) #138

Going to school in the U.S., there was a lot of talk about the metric system in the late 1960s. 50 years later we’ve at least got milliliters as well as fluid ounces on containers. Liters versus quarts is not a big deal, since they’re so close. Yet I hope the “English pint” lives forever, despite it being different than the American one.

Wait. What?
It’s true what they say about learning something new every day!
So how many fluid ounces in an American pint?

(Doug) #140

A paltry 16. :smile:

You guys call that a pint? :joy::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can’t stand him. Even when I avoid his videos I can’t get away from him entirely. He’s saturated YouTube with his ads. When I’m at home I watch YouTube from the command line, so no ads, but if I’m on my phone it’s DeLauer ads out the wazoo.