If you want to be successful, have a strong "WHY"?

In the past the longest I’ve gone with keto is typically 3 weeks before I screw up some. One time I managed to go nearly 6 weeks without many significant mishaps and what do you know, I reached a new low of the year. I derailed over the next few months and gained my weight again, just to repeat the cycle of losing 10ish lbs, then gaining.

All of those times have have one common variable, which was the reason WHY I was doing keto. My WHY all those times was “weight loss”. I’d bet the majority of people start Keto for weight loss, but the truth is MOST diets work if you’re strict and follow their protocol, but the reason why people don’t see results is because their WHY is weight loss, and if they aren’t losing 2-3lbs a week then they lose motivation then derail.

This time around my WHY is different and it’s been significantly easier.

For example last night I was making a snack which usually consists of Cheese and some other snack such as almonds, boiled eggs, etc. I was out of almonds and eggs and saw saltine crackers. For a second I thought about grabbing 3-4 to eat with my cheese but I instantly said NO. It was not because I thought I’d gain weight or retain water from the salt, it’s because of the innavoidable INSULIN spike that I know that would come.

Yup, this time around I’m focusing on my HEALTH primarily and not Weight loss. Now if I go a 3 days without weight change or even a week (which fortunately hasn’t happened) I don’t get discouraged because I think about how I’m still making progress repairing every aspect of my body due to the years if insulin spikes and inflammation.

I feel so much better and people don’t realize that if you focus on HEALTH first, 90% of the time weight loss will follow suite because your body is much more efficient.

Within 3 weeks of this thinking and avoiding anything that I know will impact insulin/inflammation I’ve broke my plateau of about 1.5 years.

Find a better WHY! If you’re doing Keto only for Weight Loss then your mind is not in the right place, Educate yourself on the other benefits and you’ll gain more motivation and discipline.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #2

I agree the why is important. If someone is looking for a quick fix to lose a couple of pounds, nobody really sticks with it for the long haul. Usually they lose it and then stop or stall and then stop.

However I do think that some people come to lose weight and then realize all the benefits and stay for life. In our carb laden society it is hard.

My why has always been my health. The reason why I have stayed is not just improved health but all of the benefits and I feel that this way of eating is something I can sustain for the rest of my life.

(Scott) #3

I suspect the temporary weight loss only folks are the ones that get distraught at “its been three weeks and I only lost 7 pounds”. Me, I looked at a three month stall and thought maybe it is time to adjust something. I know the why is more than weight loss and it keeps me straight.

Why, indeed!

(Becky) #5

This is the reality for me, i started because, well, I’m plump…im in shape, don’t get me wrong (round is by definition a shape :wink:) but i wanted to lose weight and feel better. What i have learned though is this woe is amazing…i have energy, stamina and general happiness! This is no longer my diet but my way of life!!!

(Carl Keller) #6

I started keto to lose some belly fat but my why changed within a week after I had scarcely lost a pound. Keto took my inflammation away and gave me energy I hadn’t known for decades. It changed me mentally and physically and taught me more about myself than I thought possible. Keto made me quit surviving life and taught me how to live it. I’d be a fool to walk away.

(Robert C) #7

If a strong “WHY” is interesting then you might want to read “The Wellness Roadmap” by “Ask Coach Allan” Misner.

That book (along with “Authentic Health” by Gus Vickery) really delves into why, vision, mindset, achieving reasonable goals etc. It is somewhat diet agnostic - it is good for the mental state you want to achieve to make getting healthy a permanent priority (which it should be - one = how many bodies you get in this life).

The brain is the one little place where the 2-week derailing carb binge decision first happens or the “I’ll start again Monday - after the Cheesecake Factory on Sunday” mantra resides. Getting the brain straightened out is definitely not focused on enough - everyone wants a simple formula - but applying formulas without the right mindset doesn’t seem to work in the long run for most.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

I feel the opposite of this, I like to use the analogy my mother used to say, “If all your friends are were jumping off a cliff would you too?” I have been going against the grain of society my whole life though so it might be easier for me. :cowboy_hat_face:

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #9

I am not thinking about following or not following, it is about ease, it’s easier to just buy the Pre made mayonnaise, lots of chemicals and some type of sugar, but way easier. Same is true for every other condiment, and lots of other foods, all those Pre made meals.

Also every time you go to someone’s house it’s there, every holiday meal etc. that is the type of ease I’m thinking about. Your friend saying, oh one piece won’t hurt. And when you are addicted to something it’s hard when it is everywhere. It’s like a meth addict who is trying to quit but his mom keeps some in the fridge.

When both adults are working full time or full time plus, eating real food can be a pain because who wants to cook after being on your feet all day.

My first 2-3 weeks were really hard, and I mean extremely difficult. My body addicted to running on sugar and tasting sweet, my meds making me hungrier. People at work bringing stuff and ordering stuff. Changing over to fat burning is hard and if you don’t understand or see the benefits of it, quitting is easy.

Which brings us back to the original statement, having a strong WHY is important.

Sorry David, just some random thoughts (hopefully it doesn’t read like an attack) just thinking it through

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

@Iced I understand, we’re all different and I was speaking for myself. I don’t really have any addiction with food other than it has to be good! Sure I went through carb withdrawal like everyone but I never ate 1/2 a big bag of M&M’s while watching TV either. I don’t eat out much but when I do or when I go to someone’s house I just do the best I can and don’t stress about the extra carbs that day. It doesn’t happen much though as I’m a bit of a loner. :cowboy_hat_face:

I was going to quote you saying “It’s always been about health for me”. That’s my why also. :wink:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #11

I’m having the opposite problem. Sure, I ate carbs, but I always had a small appetite. Keto has resolved so many problems for me, but now I am too thin. Not sure how to gain five more pounds on meat, veggies and cheese. Or if I even need to.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #12

If you have lots of energy and aren’t hungry all the time I say your body is where it wants to be.

(Wendy) #13

I loved your response and also wanted to say how much I love and appreciate my pressure cooker. I got one of the insta pot ones for Christmas and it has saved me from many fast food dinners. I love that I know what exactly is going into it and I drink the broth that is often a by product of whatever meat I’ve cooked in there, full of collagen and flavor and usually a part of my next days lunches.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #14

I am with you on the instant pot, hubs and I use it 3-4 times a week. I love it and food is ready and hot when we get home.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #15

Energy - hungry sometimes, though it is lessening. But this saggy skin! I know it is due to weight loss.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #16

Saggy forearms. What is up with that? I do weights every few days.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #17

You make me smile😄.

But I will trade you all my saggy skin for yours. You will probably put on some of those pounds you have wanted to. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #18

I am hoping. This weight worked at 40. Not so much at 60.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #19

Or maybe I am just getting scared of getting old. But no, I have seen several older ladies lose too much weight and they don’t look good.

(Dawn O Miller) #20

I wish I can like this post a 100x