If I loose 50lbs should I expect loose skin?

fasting

(Denise) #43

Metoo, I want to stay independent as long as I can. I have a neighbor, now 96 and she still goes out with her friend/neighbor darn near every day and walks (they both have walkers) and she also goes every weekday to her quilting group of ladies :wink: I want to add that I understand the truth of “not having to exercise” to lose fat/weight, but I just want to encourage people, especially around my age, to find something you love doing early on to keep, or get strength and muscle-tone.

(Robin) #44

We should live near each other, @Goldengirl52.

(Denise) #45

One thing I guess I’ll add is how much I do believe in getting my food/nutrition right before jumping into vigorous exercise, like gym, jogging, walking for literally “intentional” exercise. I see too many folks that are over-weight busting their buns working out, and getting no where because they don’t change up their diet. I think that is Gary Taubes message about the calories in calories out thing.

There’s a gal right here that has been walking for at least the time I’ve been here, 6-7 years and she is still the same over-weight gal :frowning: because she doesn’t eat right. She doesn’t, is not willing, to commit to Keto, and learning to fuel her body. She is a T2 and on Metformin.

Of course. It’s super easy to eat more than what we walked off, at least for people like me who easily eat 1000-2000 kcal more (not every day but it’s ridiculously easy occasionally. I don’t even need carbs for that).
I had a time when I walked 70km a week, I never lost any fat as I ate too much, I never found that strange, of course I didn’t lose… But I was more fit that way, felt better and I liked hiking a lot :slight_smile:
Exercise can help with many things including fat-loss. It depends on the person, it can be counterproductive for some - regarding fat-loss, I mean, exercise has multiple benefits… I can’t function without at least my small walks (50min at the minimum but that’s too short, I prefer my new 2+ hour walks, I use a quick pace and there is elevation. but it’s little so I lift too). I could easily eat back way, way more exercise but I don’t get hungrier from such little (I noticed before that I tend to eat less when I walk, probably not always but there were several such days) so it’s good for me. If nothing else, for my peace of mind but I believe I start to do thing right now…
But exercise is primarily for other things, not help with fat-loss. I typically stall with or without being active, my SO is the one who needs activity to avoid getting fat. But it’s not the only reason for him either.

Older women being active are my role models :smiley: I believe that while young ones can get away somehow without activity (surely it’s way better if they are), when we get older, we totally should be active unless we are too sick and simply can’t. I want to be an active old one. I think about 100+ years old, I do my best to make it true. But I am only 46 so I even want muscle gain at this point, I have little so there is room for improvement.

(Joey) #47

You’ve gotten plenty of good replies above, but just to have some fun with the post heading…

If your 50lbs were loose, then the skin will likely be loose. If the 50lbs were lost, then the skin may simply be misplaced. :smirk:

(Denise) #48

Is that like when I tell my sister I lost my sagging skin she tells me she found it Joey? :crazy_face::sweat_smile:

(Joey) #49

Keepin’ it in the family. That’s love.

(Denise) #50

I wished I’d of taken measurements more places “before” I started losing weight. Especially in my upper legs/quads. They are looking pretty puny even though there is good muscle-tone in them. I hope I don’t get to into body-building since I don’t want to overdo a good thing:grin: Know what I’m sayin :wink:

(Robin) #51

Hah! I didn’t catch the spelling. Good one.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #52

Most people don’t catch it.

But interestingly, this goes only one way. You often see “loose” when people mean “lose,” but you never see the reverse. Personally, I think the thread caption would be even more interesting if it were to read, “If I loose 50 lbs., should I expect lose skin?”

(Denise) #53

That struck me funny, was it supposed to or did I misunderstand :crazy_face: ?

How about, “Ok, who let the air outa my skin” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Duane) #54

I am 75, 5’8" and have lost the same weight as you, 50 lbs. Starting at 235 and currently 185. I am pleasantly surprised at how little loose skin I have. I think the keys are 1) lose the weight slowly, and 2) push fasting to be sure you are reaching autophagy. My niece had bariatric surgery in her early 20’s, and she actually had to do surgery to remove the excess skin. My goal weight is 175.

(Denise) #55

I can’t agree more. I figured I needed to lose about 20 lbs, but I’ve lost 27 now and still have a little more to lose or maybe just tone up. I’m now doing weight-training but only started that almost 4 months ago, or is it 3, lol! Well anyway, I got a bit of loose skin but I can’t agree more with your input on losing the weight slowly. The only fasting I do of any consequence is between last meal then first meal of the day. I almost always get atleast 16 hour fast.

I really am happy to see other folks my age getting hold of Keto. I’ve just got 20 months now at age 69-70 this December :wink: I am so loving all the benefits, especially my T2 numbers getting into the safe zone. Since my 20s when I quit smoking I gained 20 lbs and could never lose it til I found Keto :wink:

Wow, really? I always catch it (I actually have a talent for catching ALL typos and whatnots for the first read. it isn’t 100% when I write the text only if I read it afterwards) and it bothers me but I am pretty much used to it on this forum. (It’s still better than their/they’re, that is killing me and otherwise good fanfic writers do it too so often, I can’t understand, it’s super clear which should be used, typos happen but a writer should check the spelling…)

You may be right, I never saw lose instead of loose…

(Duane) #57

I do more fasting (Fung, Bosworth) because my PCP (primary care physician) was making noises about getting into the “pre-diabetic” Type 2 blood glucose and A1C ranges. I am successfully addressing that problem (I have two blood meters, one for glucose and one for ketones). My morning fasting glucose numbers are now mostly in the low 90’s, but from the ketones I know that I have the infamous “dawn effect”, so those glucose numbers falsely elevated…midday fasting glucose numbers are in the mid-to-high 80’s.

(Denise) #58

I only have the little BG test kit, but I was thrilled this a.m. to see my BG down to 101 or 5.6! I started testing again about the 15th til now and glad I did as for some reason it got up to 133 and then was around 120, but has steadily declined thank goodness. I hadn’t changed my diet but I was not exercising like normal, and I was not sleeping good at night, at all.

Now it’s steadily, every day, a bit lower and really good as I said, today. I think it’s the increase in exercise helping me sleep better, and so the decline back into a good range. I got my A1c, it was just time for that but I didn’t want to do it because my doctor would have a cow if it was way high like before I started Keto. But I went ahead and got a 6.2 which is ok, pre-diabetic range :wink:

I’m often curious about the ketones though and would be fun to see what those numbers are.