I want to be vegan but I'm trapped in a human body

conversationstarters

The title pretty much sums it up.

But I’ve gone back to university. It’s a Humanities course. Everybody seems to be vegan or vegetarian. And so very earnest.

(Allie) #2

Likewise.
Always a work in progress.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #3

I love cheese too much to want to be vegan… but i would love to be vegetarian, at least philosophically. My body, and my brain specifially, do seem to like that meat though.

Also, it that Thomas O’Mally as your avatar? I had a big crush on him as a 5 year old. Until I matured into loving Kermit the Frog.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Vegan keto is possible, but I understand it’s difficult, and that supplementing is necessary. Ovo-lacto-pesco-vegetarian keto is much, much easier, and requires no supplementation, apparently.

I understand something of the appeal of not taking an animal life for food, but if it’s any philosophical consolation, the farming methods required to produce plant crops in bulk also involve the deaths of many animals (hedgehogs, badgers, rodents, rabbits, etc.) and the destruction of their habitats. And ecologically speaking, there is plenty of evidence to show that mono-cropping actually has a far higher carbon-footprint than ruminant animal agriculture, which eliminates the need for fossil-fuel fertilzers and actually sequesters carbon in the soil.

(Allie) #5

This is where I would like to end up eventually, but I’m taking baby steps to make sure I get it right.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #6

But, philosophically speaking, it doesn’t have to. Whereas eating meat in the best of circumstances does involve taking an animal life. I do not equate human life and animal life. But as the “higher life form” I take stewardship responsibilities seriously. But that currently falls outside my sphere of influence. My own health does not.

(Karen) #7

Yep, that’s my oldest. Although she eats too much wheat

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

I like to eat VEGAN, beef and lamb are my favorites. You guys are all risking your Club KETO Membership Cards. :joy::joy::grin:

:cowboy_hat_face:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #9

I’ve done vegan and vegetarian for years at a time and always end up sick. Either I wasn’t doing it right (not supplementing enough) or it’s just not the best thing for me. My family was pretty irritated with me last Thanksgiving, though. We all went around and said what we were thankful for. I said the turkey that died so I could eat it’s body. Nobody wanted to be reminded of that because (my family’s) ignorance is (their) bliss. :rofl:

So you want to be a vegan because others at school are?

Be a good steward of plants, go carnivore.

In all seriousness, what are you wanting to gain from switching to vegan or vegetarian? I’m just curious, I am eating vegetables every day since I’ve switched to keto versus eating a vegetable that was corn, rice, potatoes, or wheat/grain. I just didn’t eat veggies before.

(April Harkness) #12

I once was fruitarian. Beat that vegan! :wink:

(Robert C) #13

This statement struck me.

If almost everyone vegan has to supplement to attempt to be healthy - then why is it pushed as healthy?
Of course people can have a belief that by being vegan there is less animal death (that is a decision that should not be taken lightly - health problems can develop).

But, when we push that vegan as generally healthy, what about the 5-year-old in the doctor’s office? The mother can’t be convinced by the doctor that there are growth issues with the child. The mother has never allowed any non-vegan food in her house. Then general weakness shows up and maybe an autoimmune issue - but since “vegan is healthy” - mother hangs on to her ideals and the child suffers.

(Robert C) #14

Also, it is called “virtue signaling”.
Otherwise, how could you know they are all vegans?

Keep in mind, the majority may just be wrong.

(Joey) #15

Trapped in a human body, indeed.

Look, I didn’t design this metabolism of mine. And, as they say about life, no one gets out alive.

No desire here to be a vegan. Not even a desire to be vague…

Animals should be treated with respect. And their lives should be ended in as kind, stress-free and pain-free manner as is possible.

Meanwhile, no guilt nor moral quandary here.

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

I was vegetarian for many years, some of the most unhealthiest years of my life. I now realize it was because I was more grainairan than vegetarian. I like the idea of going carnivore, but I honestly love greens too much to do that.

My great aunt who was the biggest influence on me as a child taught me to be mindful of the suffering of any animal or plant that you ate. She tended both lovingly. When she hunted, she always went for a clean kill and the same with the chickens and hogs she raised. She taught me respect for anything that died so I could eat.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #17

I always thought Vegatarian or Vegan was just flat stupid. Never wanted to do that. We didn’t evolve that way.
Really happy with my available food choices with Keto.

(BuckRimfire) #18

Yes, cheese is non-negotiable!!!

(BuckRimfire) #19

forget insects much? it’s scary how few bugs smash on your car windshield vs. 40 years ago!

amphibians are also doing poorly, lately. Animals =/= mammals.

(BuckRimfire) #20

Vegan is a religion, not a WOE.

I’ve thought about vegan keto a little, and I can’t figure out how it would work outside of a enormous quantities of tofu. Sounds pretty tedious, and not healthy.