I want do Keto but I don't know where to start

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #21

Yep. Haven’t eaten any coconut oil yet. And I gave up on testing for ketones. Yet I’ve pretty muchvhitvmy goal on weight loss.
Next for the weightlifting.

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #22

Welcome!
I was going to suggest you throw out/donate all carb foods, but as you have a non-keto person living with you, obviously that won’t work. So, my first suggestion is to make a little space in your home for non-carbohydrate filled foods just for you. My reasoning is that as you don’t cook, you need to have a way to eat whenever you’re hungry without having to search for something keto. I bet you’ll see a lot oof folks talking about fasting, but when you’re starting out, you probably shouldn’t. Just making this change to a new way of eating is challenging enough! So have simple, real foods available like cheeses, pepperoni, hard boiled eggs, already cooked bacon or other fatty meat, etc. No fruit, grains or legumes, or root vegetables. Generally, above ground leafy greens are fine.
You’ve been given reading material by others already. I strongly advise that you do read them, or watch the videos. Read the newby thread here for answers to others’ questions. Ask if something comes up that you aren’t clear about.
I use the Carb Manager app, which especially in the beginning, helped me know the carb load of foods. I was surprised by what I discovered. It was very helpful!
You’ll hear about macros. The one that’s vitally important is keeping your daily carb count as low as possible, up to 20 grams daily. If you go over accidentally, then watch more carefully the next day.
I struggled a lot at first, feeling overwhelmed by the seeming complexity of keto. But as I read more, and watched videos, I came to realize it’s actually pretty simple. Keep your carbs under 20 grams a day, eat real foods (not keto marketed “foods”), and relax. :slight_smile:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #23

Well, maybe you could also throw out any non-keto people :laughing: lol

(Scott) #24

You will need a strong willpower. When I go to a Mexican restaurant and they place that basket of warm chips in front of me I can just stare at them and not eat them. Its not easy but it is doable. At some point your partner is going to sit down with a piping hot pizza and you will have to decide. Am I going to stop my progress or call the crust the plate pizza comes on and eat only the toppings.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #25

Sometimes I forget how great I have it made, with my GF being a Keto’er herself AND being a great cook and Baker too :slightly_smiling_face:

And then, now that I’m doing Sous Vide for all kinds of great meats… Wow ! Never enjoyed my food more than I am right now !

This Keto thing sure is tough :grinning: lol

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #26

Most Mexican places offer a bowl, where you can have the keto ingredients of a big fat burrito, without the tortilla.

Most pizza places offer a keto crust option, and if not, keto pizza is easy to make yourself. We have made pizza about 4 X’s and in fact, are going to make it again soon :slightly_smiling_face:

(Scott) #27

I have not found a restaurant yet that I could not find keto options to suit. They still bring those chips out. My wife will eat them but I won’t. Only had one pizza with a cheese curt out and it was really bad. One day I will attempt a fathead pizza at home.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #28

Keto pizza is really easy. Almost any kind of keto bread recipe (flattened out thin) will work for a crust. My best advice though… cook that crust very lightly, as it still needs to cook some more with the topping on it. If you fully cook it first, it is likely to burn when cooking the pizza.

Most pizza topping, including mozzarella cheese are pretty good with keto. You still probably should not eat like 9 big slices :slight_smile: lol… but I find myself quite satiated much sooner nowadays anyway :slight_smile:

(Marianne) #29

Hmmm, have never seen that around here, and we have a pizza shop on every corner. I was just thinking that pizza places should do a keto pizza.