I’ve been trying and I’d like food ideas!

(Jlynn) #1

Hi,
I have been attempting to eliminate carbs for 12 days and I’ve done very well with not eating anything over 4 carbs and no more than 20 carbs in a day… I am 5’4 and 192lbs. After having my second child I never really lost the weight from pregnancy. I am just wondering what are some great food ideas, And what to avoid besides the obvious pastas breads and sugary foods… my weight has been bouncing from 192 to 187 every few days so I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong… I’ve mainly been eating eggs, chicken, avocados, cheese, pickles I’m carb counting and just trying to see what are others suggestions! Also I don’t know how to count Net carbs help!

(Running from stupidity) #2

A whole thread of ideas, in a whole sub-forum of them.

Bouncing around the same 5 pounds is nothing new. Water weight and bulk in stool retained, water weight and bulk in the stool passed.

Watch the bulk of what you eat and how often you eat. Try to restrict the timing of your eating. Don’t snack.

Keep reading and posting.

Net carbs is total carbs minus the fiber.

(Karim Wassef) #5

Just about all foods from animal sources are keto - liver being the only carby one if consumed in excess. Oysters too for some reason…

So enjoy fish, beef, pork, bacon, chicken, duck, steak, shrimp, lobster, turkey, lamb, veal… just stay clear of the plants & dairy unless you know they’re ok.

Fermented veggies are also ok.

Plant exceptions (as in “ok to eat”) for me are avocados, macadamia (in moderation), olives, garlic, onion (also in moderation), spices and hot peppers, lettuce and celery.

Olive, avocado and coconuts oils worked. Heavy cream, butter, ghee, tallow were ok too.

Make your own dressing with the ingredients put them on leafy greens like lettuce.

Hope that helps.

I subscribe to these YouTube channels for all kinds of recipe ideas:

“Net carbs” have gotten complicated these days. Three things to be concerned about:

• Fiber. Most forms are not digestible, so they can generally be subtracted out.
  • Sugar alcohols vary in digestibility. Some, like erythritol, can be subtracted out completely. Others, like Xylitol and Maltitol, still have over 2 calories per gram, so should really only be half-subtracted.
  • Allulose. It’s a sugar, but has nearly no digestible component (1/10th that of sugar). But because it’s listed on nutritional labels as part of the carbohydrates, there’s no way to subtract it out. But most products using Allulose will state the net carbs on their packaging.

Also, be aware that most countries outside of the USA already subtract out non-digestible carbohydrates on their labels, so you would do no subtracting. That’s why you can sometimes find nutritional labels where there are more fiber grams than carbohydrate grams.

(bulkbiker) #8

If you live in the USofA…

(PSackmann) #9

What to eat? Fattier cuts of meat, skin-on chicken, full-fat cheeses. Vegetables that grow above the ground except corn (too starchy). Homemade dressings, or those with a few simple ingredients. Plenty of water and make sure to salt your food. Watch your intake of peppers and tomatoes as they’re a bit more carby and can cause inflammation.

What to avoid? On a former forum, we called them Frankenfoods. They may be labeled Keto but have a long list of ingredients. The simpler the better. Vegetables that grow below ground, onions are okay for flavoring as is garlic. Fruit at the beginning (except avocados). Artificial sweeteners if you can. Processed or seed oils, stick with olive, coconut and avocado oils whenever possible.

My favorite easy indulgence is to cook hamburgers, then take a large handful or two of mixed salad greens and wilt them in the pan. Add a few crumbles of blue cheese and I’m in heaven.

(Audrey Crist) #10

I am on diet suggest me some good food to eat and also suggest some good diet plan YouTube channels. Also check out this website.

(Katie) #11

Do not worry about the few pounds that keep fluctuating–that can be water retention, bloat, or bowel movements :smile: Also, 12 days is not really that long. Your body is still adapting and learning how to burn fat. Just trust the process and KCKO

What you are eating is fine, I do not see anything that is really bad. I recommend incorporating red meats (beef, goat) and fatty fish, such as sardines (great because they include the bones, which help with calcium) and salmon. What are your primary sources of fat? I recommend trying to get it from red meat and fish, which tends to be better, rather than plant fats and dairy. I am not saying that you should eliminate the avocados and cheese though! Just incorporate the meat fats. Those are some ideas to play with.

The cheese and pickles are probably helping you with your electrolytes. If you end up consuming less of them, make sure to monitor your electrolytes (primarily salt).

If you can, try to walk for 10 minutes after each meal. This has shown to be very beneficial to the metabolism and for weight loss.

As for what to avoid: Do not fall into the habit of eating a lot of nuts. You did not list them, so I am assuming that you are not already eating them. They are very addicting and they often lead to stalls in progress. If you are still frustrated in a few months, consider less dairy, which can commonly prevent progress in some individuals. Most conventional chicken is devoid of nutrients. I am not saying to not eat it, I like it myself, but that is one of the reasons why I recommended the red meat and fish—those both have way more nutrition. If you are feeling adventurous, consider organ meets, such as liver. The egg yolks are super nutritious too :+1:t2:

(Susan) #12

ThedietDr.com is a good resourse. And listen to The 2KetoDudes podcasts.

(Katie) #13

@Jlynn how are things going? Any updates? :smiley: