I think my blood ketone meter is lying to me/broken/possessed

(Bob M) #22

Same here. I’ve been low carb/keto for 6.5 years, and both my blood and breath ketones are much, much lower than they used to be. If I measure at night, I MIGHT get >0.5. For me to get 1.0+, I have to fast multiple days.

(Ron) #23

Same here. LC/Keto for almost 3 years and average 0.2 / 0.3
Fasting might get me to 0.7 or 0.8 but not much more.
When the body gets used to operating on ketones there is not much that gets wasted that you can measure. At least this is what I keep telling myself, lol.

(Bob M) #24

I do think that’s true. I’ve even had high carb meals, such as ice cream, for some type of celebration, and still had blood ketones (breath ketones are a bit wacky and can read higher with carbs) that were still low but non-zero, at least the day after eating high carb.

I think your body doesn’t like to change quickly, which is why everyone has the keto flu when they go from high carb to low carb. We probably can’t switch to carb burning that fast any more. (Though that would be an interesting test.)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #25

That is exactly why I purchased the Lumen. Big disappointment that it can’t show RER numbers instead of its useless ‘scale’. Although, maybe there’s a flickering light on the horizon:

(Bob M) #26

Let us know if you get it working for a test like that.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #27

Guys this post is almost 2 years old, why are we responding to it? Lol :stuck_out_tongue:

(PJ) #28

ha! I don’t even notice dates on posts most the time. A forum is not just for that-person, it’s for everyone-reading, so threads become eternal. Someone else might find it here or via search engine in the future, to good use, who knows. :slight_smile:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #29

I have been Keto for 3 years and this post is 2 years old, thanks :slight_smile:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #30

So have you broken the 0.1 barrier? You left us hanging. :roll_eyes:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #31

Ketone levels are so irrelevant to me now ;>
I have to fast for 3 days to see anything above 1.5!
I know I’m in ketosis by the way I am feeling and have been adapted for ages. I guess my body just uses them as it makes them and they don’t like hanging around. But it’s not my focus any more. Some people go fuckin’ nutty about them.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #32

To answer your question I hang around 0.3 - 0.8 daily.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #33

But I also eat upwards of 50 carbs a day.

(Ron) #34

@ava_ad0re
I think @FGH was responding to @Mkinder 's post and we were responding to that. Something to talk about and update on is all.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #35

That’s fine, I’ll just mute notifications, they’re distracting and clog up my email ;> Carry on!

(Ron) #36

Ha Ha, yeah, I did that a long time ago.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

I feel pretty much the same way, but the Dudes feel that for ease of reference it is better to resurrect old threads instead of always starting a new one.