I survived

(Jennibc) #21

It was just my little nuclear family of three so it was easy peasy since I did all the cooking! Totally low carb/no sugar. I am so impressed with myself. I bought a smoked turkey and made fat head dough rolls, summer squash caramelized in butter with onions and sage, brussel sprouts with bacon, green beans with Roquefort cheese, bacon and walnuts, and creamed spinach. For dessert we had a cheese course and then berries with heavy cream. Oh and some Zinfandel wine.

I must add that before I succumbed to the brownie and fudge desserts, I only had a partial turkey leg with liver and heart; small serving of Brussel’s sprouts and bacon; brocolli and cauliflower with cheese sauce and unsweetened tea.

(No bread, no Mac-n-cheese, no corn and string bean casserole, no Rotel cheese and chips, no mint brownies.)

If I had only stopped there I would have walked away at about 30 carbs.

But, nooooooo …

I had to add four sugary chocolate fudge squares (not just one mind you) and a nice chunk of gooey pecan pie brownie. Probably added 100 carbs to my meal.

I was just coming off a 44-hour fast and had hit an all time low of 204 pounds (down -51) and I have enough calories in me to tack on another 24-36 hour fast.

So, yeah, [spoiler]fuck[/spoiler] it, no apologies. I enjoyed my T-Day with all my girls, in-laws and grandson. Time to keto on.

Tomorrow morning I’m going to round out my all-American weekend by going buy more tools than I need at Lowe’s Black Friday sale then I’m going to sip my sparkling water and watch college football games till late Saturday night. Life is good.

(Janelle) #23

I did indeed survive as I posted earlier but the pumpkin keto cheesecake must’ve done it. I’m up two lbs this morning. Dang it - oh well, back to it. KCKO

(Alex ) #24

my kind of night, any cheese to compliment Eric?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #25

No cheese. We decided to open it after we ate.

(Carl Keller) #26

I ate 44 net carbs, 185g protein, 86g fat and I am still in the keto club. Thanksgiving was a good N=1 day. I was able resist blackberry cobbler, pumpkin pie and pineapple dressing. I was able to double my net carbs and found that my body didn’t want to leave ketosis and best of all, I don’t feel terrible the morning after.

Today I will start tracking net carbs instead of total.

Hope everyone enjoyed their holiday. :slight_smile:

(John) #27

I only ate two meals yesterday - very light breakfast in the morning and the all-keto main Thanksgiving meal late afternoon. With a 3-mile walk in between. No change on the scales between morning weigh-ins - maybe even a little loss today.

(Jennibc) #28

Well, I am jealous because despite the very low carb dinner I put on slightly over three pounds! I am going to guess it is all the vegetables taking up space in my body right now. I made four different vegetable dishes but they were all from the approved vegetable list (being above ground with no starch). Or I did have two glasses of red wine but typically that just keeps me from losing and doesn’t cause me a gain unless
I have been drinking several times in a week. I cooked everything so I know what was in everything and there was NO sugar and NO grain and NO seed oils. My official weigh in every week is Monday, so I am not going to worry about it until Monday. If it’s not gone by Monday, then I can’t blame the vegetables!

Don’t forget the actual weight of the meal itself, including fluids. I weigh in on Sunday mornings myself, and just do it for tracking purposes. I was telling my wife how weight can fluctuate day by day, (or hour by hour) and this can be pounds, 2 or 3 or more. So for this past week, she has been testing this just to see. And yep, she’s seeing some jumps in both directions as I explained to her. So she is going back to weekly weighing. … It’s one of the reason’s I wouldn’t want to do daily weigh-ins myself, or recommend it to others, unless this is what they really want. Because I can see this being a bother for some folks, not to mention causing some unnecessary worries/stress which is never a good thing. :slight_smile: … But some still do it though.

(Janelle) #30

Yep it is what I want because it proves to me that I’m pretty carb sensitive and reminds me of what I apparently can and can’t do to maintain my insanely frustrating pound a week average.

(Daisy) #31

I survived! I was surrounded on all sides by horrid things like Reese’s cream pie, chocolate caramel cheesecake, pumpkin pie, stuffing, mashed potatoes, hot fluffy rolls, sweet potatoes, etc. On my plate was turkey with keto gravy, ham, cauliflower mash, and asparagus. For dessert I had a piece of keto pumpkin pie with whipped cream sweetened with monk fruit sweetener. That’s all I ate. I felt full but I did not have that bloated feeling that one usually gets on Thanksgiving after a carbfest.

(Jennibc) #32

Yes, soluble fiber draws water into the intestine. But after breaking down the numbers I think the issue may have been with the wine. It added 10 net carbs to the meal and so I went above my usual daily intake. I probably have some glycogen stored (which also tends to hold water). I imagine I will be back to normal soon. I mean, I figured I’d show a slight gain because of all the veggies, but I was shocked to see over three pounds! I never let the fluctuations frustrate or discourage me, I just look at them as good information to how my body responds to certain foods. Consequently, I do weigh myself daily and track the differences. It’s actually been very helpful. But I think in order to do that, a person has to remove any ‘judgment’ from the number on the scale.

(Dee) #33

I did well. I fasted 24 hours into dinner. Greens, green beans, cauliflower mac and cheese, mashed cauliflower (with a small amount of added red skin potatoes in it), mushrooms, brisket, turkey and ham. The food was pretty much on the right track.

The amount of food I placed on my plate/mouth; however was not! The warning my gut gave me about halfway in was acknowledged, yet ignored. My stomach automatically bloated at the table as I ate…it seemed. It looked like I got pregnant sometime between arriving and departing.

I have not “relieved” myself as of yet and I am waiting desperately. I feel so full in the middle. Stuffed like turkey.
I am up 2 pounds from yesterday. I anticipated more. I am fasting at least 24 hours if not longer because I doubt hunger will find me anytime soon.

I’m not even sure why I put such large amounts on my plate. Lesson learned.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dee, I think it comes from how I used to eat before keto, when eating a high carb meal, my body would keep telling me to eat!

Now, it’s hard to know what’s enough until my body says so, which is always sooner than I think it will be.

Also, I’ve noticed that from the time I think I could eat some more to the time my stomach says ENOUGH, is REALLY QUICK! Like, the difference between one or two bites! You never know. :man_shrugging:

What’s helped me the most (which isn’t practical on Thanksgiving), is having certain meals I know are just enough, and won’t leave me hungry, then sticking to those proportions everything I eat that meal.

Good luck on the “relief”. I’m there with you on the fasting! :grin:

(Dee) #35

I think you’re right. It was nothing years prior for my holiday plate to look like it did yesterday AND for me to get seconds AND dessert.

Fat lady mentality switched on yesterday.

Im a food snob and the only turkey you can get over here right now is dodgy frozen ones so we opted for roasted duck with all that tasty crispy skin :yum: a duck drippings/bramble wine and blueberry reduction. Butter grilled brusslesprouts with pine nuts, small serving of sweet potato nutmeg fries (using duck fat of course) and rainbow chard fried in more duck fat.

Followed by Pumpkin Sex in a Pan (see alldayidreamaboutfood site for recipe)

Still keto although maybe a bit higher than I usally go.

Full disclosure: OK, here is my 21-hour post fudge and brownie failure.

Weight up about 3 pounds, as expected, so no big deal there. I did not pig out yesterday, far from it. I simply ate four pieces of chocolate fudge (very sugary type) and one generous helping of pecan pie brownie after my <30 total carb meal. Add about 100 carbs via the sweets.

Have not eaten since then, 21 hours. Actually still in ketosis but barely — showing a trace on pee stick.

And fasting blood sugar is in mid 90s. Still OK but they were in mid 70s to mid 80s in the week prior. Evidently I’ve been putting my insulin levels to work.

While numbers are not bad, I feel distinctly lethargic, lacking the desire to do anything of note, have been hungry most of the day, my mind and body are trying to convince me I need to go eat (I am normally an avid EFer), I am getting a bit of a shaky chill.

All seem to be classic signs of my body wanting some more of that good old sugar rush. It’s wants MORE!

Well, it ain’t gonna get it. Calling on my Marine Corps discipline big time today.

Some of us just learn lessons harder than others.

(This is an ongoing 40-hour water-only fast form of chastisement.)

(Troy) #38

Made it through fine yesterday

From Keto-ish Comfort type Foods yesterday
To a beautiful transition right to Keto-ish Fast Food today😄

TODAY
Had (2) In N Out Double Double Protein Style Burger
No spread or ketchup
Mustard only
So good!

In-N-Out

(Alex) #39

broke a 60ish hour fast on thanksgiving day with a small portion of avocado and veggies. then went to a relatives house who was hosting and completely feasted. had 2 full plates of mainly keto food (turkey, ham, and a small bite of each of the side dishes that were prepared (stuffing, potatoes, etc.)), but after that and a couple glasses of wine, i threw my willpower aside and caved by eating two whole plates worth of very non-keto desserts lol. NO REGRETS at all though. spending time with family and eating everything that I wanted to eat on thanksgiving was more important to me than being keto for the day. i’m trying to better teach myself that when life happens and special occasions / events do pop up that may cause me to go off my diet for the day, that THAT’S OKAY and i don’t need to beat myself up for it the next day or feel like i failed. just gotta jump back on the horse and keep riding! fasted on friday because i wasn’t hungry at all, and also to hopefully get myself back into ketosis a bit quicker, and will resume normal eating again with my omad on saturday :slight_smile:

Agree. Sometimes enjoying life is enjoying life. I don’t regret my fudge spree either. Today (Sunday) my weight was down to being back on its track downward, BG in upper 80s and back into full ketosis. The memories of an enjoyable Thanksgiving are just as strong.

Now on to dropping another 5 pounds before the big Christmas/New Year’s Week test.