I See Fat People

(Edith) #161

:yum:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #162

I have never encountered hostility. Then again, I don’t bring up my eating regimen with strangers unless specifically asked about it. A couple people at work have asked and were not the least hostile to the concept. No one has ever said anything to me in a grocery lineup. If anyone did I would probably ignore the comment.

I have one brother who tried to start keto when I did, but could not get past the initial carb hunger phase. So instead he went low carb and has managed to lose some weight. He says he feels much healthier overall. He dropped the worst of his previous diet which included large quantities of sodas and assorted other junk food. We talk occasionally about keto and low carb. I encourage him as much as he needs and so far he seems intent on staying with low carb because he has experienced good results.

In my personal experience, eating bread led to restarting drinking alcohol.
Let me explain.
From 2012 to 2016 I was keto and lost 60#.
I lost another 8# fasting (2-7 days) - I had been dx’d with cancer and declined chemo.
I maintained my weight between 127 - 132 until late 2020.
During 2020/21/22/23 I made and ate sourdough bread. Y.u.m.m.y.
That led to snacking on ice cream, sweets, peanuts, etc and then I found myself drinking wine most nights with DH.
From late 2020 to late 2023, I tried and failed to quit drinking alcohol.
I gave up bread in late 2023, and weighed myself. I had gained 20#.
I quit drinking Christmas 2023, and it was easier for me. I will have ocassional drink nights, but never more than one night in a row.
I weigh 144 # and have 12# to go (5 kg).
So, the lesson I took from that seems to be that carbs can lead to sweets which can stoke the desire for alcohol.

(Edith) #165

When my brother tried to stop drinking, he started gorging on sweets. Your experience and his seem to be quite similar in a way.

https://www.painreliefwellness.com.au/2016/11/03/does-alcohol-turn-into-sugar-well-not-really-but-there-are-calories-metabolic-pathway-explained/

I’m not sure why they would go hand-in-hand, but I could see why one could get substituted for the other. Although, I did see in another article that sugar and juices mixed with alcohol speed up the absorption, so maybe carbs make the effect of the alcohol more “fun.” :woman_shrugging:

(Robin) #166

Great testimony!

I also notice how many obese people there are, now that I am no longer in that crowd. But I agree that all you can do is sympathize, remember the misery, and hope they find someone like your neighbor who taught by example.

(Bob M) #167

I find it to be true the other way around also: alcohol always makes me hungry. Now, I no longer eat sweets or carbs, but I was originally known to drink beer (possibly the most obesity-causing substance I know of), then eat pizza, then eat ice cream. I still will often eat something after having a drink, but now it’s usually ham or other meat.

I had the opposite. If I drank, I could skip dinner sometimes. A friend of mine had it with beer and said so that’s why it is called “liquid bread”…

I do get hungry if I consume carbs but I rarely drank carby drinks.

Nothing made me desire alcohol, carbs made me desire more carbs, especially sweets brought more sweets… It’s way better with carnivore desserts, they are pretty safe for me. Even whipped heavy cream now, I can be modest :smiley: But I changed very much, now if I eat sugary sweets, I want carnivore food, not more sugary sweets. Except maybe bread with honey, both items separately wants to bring their friends…

What I do have is having something dry with drinks (but not with water) and something wet with dry things. I had toast or buttered bread tied to tea in my past, I had one, I wanted the other. So I can imagine not being happy with beer alone… But I would rather want some cheese whisp, not even some proper food (unless I haven’t eaten much that day). Beer is liquid so it should be dry and preferably crunchy for me :wink: And snack type suits beer…