I miss eating

I miss eating. I dont have carb cravings, and I’m exceptionally happy with keto food. As I transition into fat adaptation, however, I’m finding I’m not as hungry nor as often as before. So I don’t get to eat as much as I formerly did. And I loved to eat. I still eat great food, but it’s not the same.

Of course loving to eat, and eating a lot, and too often does bring a whole host of serious problems, both physical and emotional, that many of us suffer from. But if I am honest, I do miss the eating, and the masses of good, real food I used to eat. Damn! I was not a junk eater either. Well, mostly.

I feel great on keto - better than for years - and am losing weight slowly, feel very strong in my early 70s, and am the beneficiary of many other benefits. And I have zero intention of going back, and cheating has no appeal.

But excess food has always been there for me. It’s been entertainment, distraction, solace, and just plain fun. Everything about it was pleasurable, …except of course the unavoidable weight gain and negative health consequences.

I however must make peace that this way of eating is going to be what I do forever more. I am going to have to let go of, and grieve the loss of my old faithful friend - eating too much and eating too often. Sigh.

Good bye, old friend. It’s time for me to shed a tear and move on to a better life without you.

(Ron) #2

I feel your pain!!
What got me through was the occasional binge on Keto food fallowed by a 48 or 72 hr fast. This ramped up my metabolism for the fast, but more importantly satisfied my craving to eat to gluttony. Over the last month or so the urge to binge has decreased and the 5000cal binges are down to
3000cal and less frequent. I don’t expect it to ever completely go away so I am thankful that the Keto food is so good.
I’ll just KCKO.

(Rob) #3

I felt the same when my appetite crashed. I was eating half the amount of calories and full so quickly for several weeks. One thing I did was to eat less calorie dense dishes so I got a bit more volume and kept to 2MAD so I still had something to do.

BUT - it didn’t last. I still had 60lb + of excess body fat to go and my appetite came back (after a still basically keto but carbier few weeks at the holidays) and has never fallen since (3-4 months). As I’ve lost more weight (still 40bs to go, at least) I have had no decline and probably an increase in appetite. My recent calories have gone up with my hunger in an attempt to break a stall.

So fear not… your appetite and food fun may well return. Hopefully women will chime in and say this happened to them as well.

(Ron) #4

It happened! I binged today on a Keto (sausage crust) pizza. Had to eat the whole thing and consumed:
5493 kcal
308g Protein
446.5g Fat
48.5g Net Carbs
This resulted in a BG reading at post T90 of 117mg/dl and 110mg/dl at T120.
My question is - would this be considered normal rise and not a carb driven spike? I have never had a reaction like this being T2D and always saw 180mg/dl and higher when bingeing before keto.

FWIW - I am SO stuffed and uncomfortable right now!:face_vomiting::frowning_face:

(German Ketonian) #5

I can only speak for myself as a young, relatively healthy individual. I have NEVER seen any BG spike and i have my occasional keto binges, followed by a fast. My usual binges are around 600-800g of fat, 200-300g of protein, 20-50g of carbs, usually all in one go. But my BG levels are consistently around 80 all the time. Even my “least-ketogenic” binge of 'em all (which still is fairly keto, granted) was 500g fat, 250g protein, 50 grams carbs and yielded nothing (only some weight gain, mainly due to salt overconsumption and resulting water retention - yes, I had lots of processed meats with super-high salt content)

(Ron) #6

Thanks,
I have high hopes that it might be a sign of my insulin resistance reversing and I am getting some sensitivity back in a small degree. I have actually seen BG levels in the high 70’s the last few weeks or so and that is huge to me as a NSV . Still see some 3 digit numbers in morning with RBG but don’t worry much about that.:smiley:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #7

I absolutely get you. What I did is to up my game in quality of food even more (sous vide and all the fancy pants stuff I never had the time to do since i was cooking and prepping 3 meals and maybe healthy snacks as well every single day)
Also I was looking for all the things I wanted to do “some day” I now have time for. Replacing the comfort of eating with the feeling of pride and accomplishment basically…

I hear you. I miss it too. I miss the anticipation of it as well. For me this WOE is such a mind game, but I am 4 weeks in so I’ll keep going. I do like not being hungry though. I have made a few keto ‘treats’ which I keep in the freezer for now and then and that does help. I am trying not to have these too often thoughnas my weight loss has slowed considerably.

(German Ketonian) #9

Also, I have found that TMAD or OMAD can help a lot! I usually go for TMAD 2-3 days of the week and have OMAD for the remainder of the time. It’s immensely satisfying for me. Keto food still massively triggers me as my binges should demonstrate. Thus, TMAD and OMAD helps me because

1. It’s hard for me to stop, when I start eating, so not eating at all is easier for me (less triggering)
  2. the meals are larger and more satisfying (more filling and satiating)

(Central Florida Bob ) #10

For what it’s worth, I’d bet normal rise. The criteria for T90 after a “normal” (SAD, I guess) meal is 140 mg/dl. You’re well under that, and my guess would be response to the protein. For me, 308 g protein would be four days of protein, and protein does cause a milder response of BG and insulin.

Usual disclaimers: IANAD, just trying to figure myself out.