I made mayo, and it only took 5 tries

(Roxanne) #41

Me too - I’ve done it with room temp and cold eggs, and didn’t notice a difference. Which is great, because I often don’t know I want mayo until I WANT mayo!

(Central Florida Bob ) #42

This. Cadori is absolutely right. My wife and I started making mayo about 6 weeks ago. First batch was hand whipped. Ugh. Then came the immersion blender in a mason jar. Easy success every single time.

(Crow T. Robot) #43

I’ve done cold and room temperature eggs and saw no difference in outcome. It might be that room temperature eggs are easier to be successful with, but IME the crucial thing is not getting too much oil at the start of the emulsification process, not the egg temp. If you do the stick blender in the jar method, anyway.

I was inspired to try it. I am a big fan of Hellman’s although I can do without the soybean oil. I used an egg, avocado oil (tried Hellman’s with olive oil years ago and hated it) and half a teaspoon of dijon mustard. The juice of half a small lemon, a capfull of ACV, salt, and it thickened right up. One problem, it was no Hellman’s. It was bland. I would like it to taste like Hellman’s

Suggestions?

(Dawn Comber) #45

@Saphire: What about double the dijon, more ACV or some white wine vinegar…

(S Radhakrishnan) #46

Please provide a full and detailed (with quantities) recipe of just your successful effort. Thanks.

(Gale Dacalio) #47

Ohhhh save those failed batches. I have done this. Get another egg yolk and s-l-o-w-l-y incorporate the failed one. Also if you keep blending after it’s emulsified; it can break the emulsification. I have done it by hand with a wisk ( just to know the real deal LOL) A stick blender, a kitchen aide mixer and a blender - they all work.
Also when you make mayo make sure you s-l-o-w-l-y ad the oil (slow drizzles)- that’s the key to success!

(Christopher Avery) #48

Hello @Rakins, there are a number of full and detailed recipes above in this thread. I used this one:

What I’ve learned is that it is more about technique than exact ingredients and quantities.

Good luck.

This is an interesting nugget from the KetoDiet blog. Does anyone know the full story about what’s happening and how it works?

If you want the mayonnaise to last several months, add a tablespoon or two of whey or powder from one probiotic capsule (simply open the capsule and combine the powder with the mayo).
Cover the mayonnaise and let it sit on a kitchen counter for 8 hours. This is essential in order to activate the enzymes that will keep your mayo fresh. After 8 hours, refrigerate and use within the next 3 months.

(Jordan) #50

Basically you would be fermenting it, putting bacteria to work for you.
Like pickles last longer than cucumbers and yogurt lasts longer than milk.

Has anyone tried this?

(Arlene) #51

I have had success using this method SOME TIMES. Other times it just doesn’t turn into mayo. I always use a pint wide mouth mason jar. Always the same stainless steel stick blender. I just can’t figure out why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t, and it’s expensive to waste oil. I’ve used various oils, but my favorites are avocado or walnut oil.

(Crow T. Robot) #52

I have to admit that I’ve only used the mason jar once, although it seemed to work fine. I might have just got lucky. All the other times were using the cylindrical container that came with the blender, which I think fits the blender a little better than the jar. That could be important.

I hate wasting expensive oil :frowning:

(Arlene) #53

Another poster recommended adding another egg and re-trying, rather than waste the oil. I’ve done that, with no success, however she recommended adding your “failed attempt” slowly to your new jar with new egg. I will try doing it that way if I have future “failed” attempts, as I expect to.

(Stephanie Tebbs) #54

I haven’t tried to make mayo yet but I’ve been making ranch, bleu cheese and various other salad dressings. Guess I’ll be making some this weekend now that I know what not to try.

Thanks for the tips :slight_smile:

(Ernest) #56

It is almost impossible to rescue broken mayo.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #57

The authors of The Joy of Cooking warn against trying to make mayonnaise when a thunderstorm is coming. They say that mayonnaise will simply not come together under such atmospheric conditions.

(Ross) #58

yeah the trick is to start with very little oil, like a few drop and then very slowly drizzle it in. Try making it with bacon fat (has to be warm enough to be liquid but not so warm as to denature the egg yokes). It’s amazing.

(Rhett McJunkin) #59

That’s pretty damn funny Christopher. Congratulations on the victory!

(Dawn Comber) #60

Get another egg yolk and s-l-o-w-l-y incorporate the failed one.

That is exactly what I did and was I ever glad! Saved a bunch of avocado oil. Slow drizzle worked really well for me. :grinning:

(Christopher Avery) #61

I’m glad you got the intended light-heartedness. Thank you.