I made mayo, and it only took 5 tries

(Christopher Avery) #21

Not rambling at all! Very focused and helpul. Thank you.

(Roxanne) #22

Love this :slight_smile:

(Christopher Avery) #23

No doubt. I tell ya, when I had that whisk working away with the Pyrex bowl leaning on a folded kitchen towel on the counter (and after 5 fails where I didn’t think to keep the concoction), I felt like the cat’s meow. Call me “LA Chef” or something!

(Roxanne) #24

Hmmm…so is mine…I wonder how much difference the type of head makes, you may be on to something!

(Christopher Avery) #25

Yes, I have a hankering for cole slaw for dinner and I just happen to have a small tub of fresh mayo!

(Christopher Avery) #26

Dang dopamine response.

While I could just be thrilled and honored that my post prompted such lovely interaction, here I am wondering if I’ll get a new badge or level.

Take a shot of it, you want a slight tang/sting in the back of the throat. If that’s not there it’s not real. But remember, Olive Oil is Olive Oil, if it’s “light” it’s cut with something. Whats wrong with Avacado?

(MooBoom) #28

You’ve inspired me! I just made my first batch of mayo, stick blender method. It’s not as thick as I’d like (I prefer an aioli consistency) but it’s tasty and will go well with just about everything. Huzzah!

(Crow T. Robot) #29

Thanks! I took a look at the site and was surprised to see a couple of producers that were “outed” not long ago for selling adulterated olive oil (lookin’ at you, Bertolli). Now, maybe they’ve cleaned up their act (I hope), or (and call me cynical) the whole certification process is a sham. I don’t know, and unfortunately, I know of no way to find out which it is. However, this will probably be enough to get me to buy some light olive oil from the list (EVOO is supposedly too strong a flavor for mayo). Maybe if I just don’t stress over it, the lower cortisol will make up for any bad oil I get. :smile:

It’s expensive :frowning:

(Christopher Avery) #30

Congratulations

(Jordan) #31

I have not tried this myself, although it’s on my to do list.
But I thought a visual might help.

(MooBoom) #32

It’s great right up until the carbage :nauseated_face::joy:

(Jordan) #33

Ha! Yeah, I forgot that was on there. Bleh. :expressionless:

(Randy) #34

Egg at room temperature is the key. I’ve probably made 30 batches of mayo and it has never failed.

1 cup light olive oil
1 egg at room temp.
1 squirt of mustard (I use spicy brown)
1 splash of real lemon (concentrated lemon juice. Half of a lemon juice is fine)
salt and pepper to taste

I usually use a pickle jar or mason jar and cover the yoke with the immersion blender and go to town.

Add a tiny bit of xanthan gum for EXTRA THICK MAYO!!!

Did I mention that the egg should be at room temperature??? :wink:

EDIT: Pretty much like the video above. I do like some mustard and black pepper in mine.

(Jeff Logullo) #35

I take my eggs right out of the fridge…

(Christopher Avery) #36

Congratulations

(Christopher Avery) #37

I’m learning so much from you’all. Thank you. It seems the only item in dispute is the temperature of the egg.

(KCKO, KCFO) #38

I tried it with room temp eggs and right out of the fridge. I did not notice any difference, so I just take an egg from the fridge and toss it in.

I do think adding xanthan gum might be a good idea for when I want thicker mayo.
I don’t always want it as thick as possible, because I add other ingredients like blue cheese, herbs, or avocado to make salad dressings, since I no longer buy premade salad dressings.

(Christopher Avery) #39

mmmm. Thinking blue cheese may on bacon…

(Roxanne) #40

My mayo is often instantly converted into this addictive blue cheese dressing: