I’m scared that I’m getting fatter, help

(Marianne) #21

That (5’4", 104 lb.) seems pretty tiny to me. Maybe you have a very small frame (?). I’m 5’7" and 158 and some in my family think I look “too thin,” (although I don’t). I’d look emaciated if I were to ever get to 140 even; I just have a large frame. If you have a regular frame, 123 lb (56kg) seems normal to me.

Oops, just read that you feel you have a small frame.

(Bob M) #22

It’s too bad DEXA scans are so expensive and hard to find (at least where I live). That could give you a more realistic viewpoint. Scale weight sucks. I can’t tell you the numbers of times the scale didn’t move, but I had to tighten my belt. I stopped using the scale for that reason (and because when I fast >24 hours, I can lose 5+ pounds in a day; this isn’t useful to determine what’s going on).

If you have any high end gyms in your area see if they have them, typically much cheaper even for non members. Around me at least the imaging centers want around $120 for them, a private gym (a little drive for me) does them for $80 and regularly does deals on both DEXA and RMR testing for around $100. They did a black Friday deal for $50! BodPod’s are also pretty accurate for BF%, but you don’t get the muscle and bone breakdown from them obviously.

(Karen) #24

I am 163cm (5’4") 57kg and people think I am very slim and have been called thin once which annoyed me because I’m not thin. However if I was 48kg I would be dreadfully thin … I have photos of me about that weight after my hubby walked out on me and our 2 kids and I looked awful! Anyway, I have muscle from working out and my weight looks healthy on me. Just giving a comparison. I think you are probably now looking a healthy weight. What do your friends or family think. They are the ones who see you day to day and should be able to give you an honest answer?

(Robin) #25

Marianne, we are so similar, it’s scary! My daughter was here Thanksgiving and said I am skinny and shouldn’t lose any more. First off… yes, my vanity did a little happy dance over the word “skinny”. But I hover between 155 and 158… high normal range for 5’7”.

And I still have the infamous lower belly pooch of most mature women. In theory, you and I should be able to lose another 10 pounds and be smack dab in the middle of our healthy weight range.

BUT… I’m not trying for that, while also not trying to avoid it. At this point, it’s up to my body to figure out. I got rid of the muffin top above the waist… thought I’d never see the day! I’m cool with where I am or I would not have attended that 50th reunion! LOL

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

My ex was the same height as you. At 145 (66 kg), he looked emaciated; at 155 (70.5 kg), he looked great.

To me as well but poeople are so different. I am 5’4" and 165lbs (75kg) now, should lose a lot of fat but someone else may be perfect with this weight (that’s probably the top for a woman with this height…? lots of muscles have to be involved :D) and some people just can’t hold to even 125 lbs (my near ideal weight unless I get more muscles?) for some reason but many girls are more fragile to me anyway, smaller hips, boobs, whatnot, or just less muscles so 104 is probably quite slim for them but nothing alarming yet…

Once I was 62kg, my belly looked to me just as fatty as at 80kg (it was so bad as I never could go lower, almost never was below 69kg and all my efforts did little to my main problem area). It was a tad smaller but I lose fat from everywhere else first… And I am not particularly muscular. Could be worse but still, nope.
I probably wouldn’t look bad at 48kg but as I never was even remotely that slim, I don’t know, I just guess from my 62kg self. But I don’t want to have so little muscles. My build is better with a somewhat bigger weight and I want as much muscles I can have naturally (and that’s very little being a 45 years old lazy woman). But that’s me.

Oh, people told me at 69kg that I don’t need to lose more fat… People here are fine with chubbiness too much - and black clothes hide a lot. It’s still quite obvious if one has a thick waist, though… A small belly roll is one thing (my SO has it when he is 2+ kg more than his ideal weight), nearly 20 kg extra fat, most at the waist-hip-thigh area is quite visible…

In the end, we just can’t tell things seeing only numbers. We can tell if it’s impossible to be okay at some extreme weight but between those extremes… I don’t care about my weight at all, just that how I look. My SO looked thin enough at 56kg (my probably “ideal” weight now, 124lbs. he is a male and 5’9"/176cm. couldn’t stay at that weight without starving though) when he was young without proper muscles. Now he looks good at 63kg (only muscular legs, nothing else)… And as we know, he could look great above 80kg with big and still natural muscles… 90kg probably would be fine then as we both prefer a nice smoothed look, not the hard to keep dry one. And it’s just muscles, the person is the same, the same skeleton and everything.

I have a small frame so it is easy to look “fat” if I put on some weight, and yes my friends and family ask why I’m getting fatter all of a sudden, but somehow with with glowing skin lol. Genetically all my family are slim so maybe they are used to see me skinny and don’t want to see me “fatter” lol and be worried about my health, oh and I think my face is now rounder so that’s most obvious for them to tell I gained weight.

But overall, I just feel great every single day on this diet and don’t want to give up on this diet, too good to not do it, hahaha. I eat a lot each meal! (I don’t snack) and I’ve down 24hr fast from yesterday and not feeling hungry at all, 1kg down already, hope this lowers my portion in the future.

(Marianne) #29

Doesn’t that feel wonderful when someone calls you skinny!!! I think it’s more of a shock to people/loved ones who don’t see us as often. They remember our former selves.

Yes, high normal according to weight charts, however, I am beginning to wonder if weight is different on keto/zero carb. Although I’m 158, I have one pair of jean that are a size 6 (my favorite pair!!! :laughing::joy:), and the rest are 8’s. I believe the last time I was like 150, I was still in a 10. I don’t seem as hippy as before when I’ve lost weight and have very minimal saddlebags this time around.

I really would like to, however, I haven’t changed my eating. Looking forward to @Fangs January lower fat challenge. We’ll see if that makes any difference. I put extra fat on a lot of our meats or purchase the high fat cuts anyway (pork steaks) as a matter of personal preference. I am thinking of eating more chicken and pork chops that just have a little edge of fat, maybe pork tenderloin, etc.

(Marianne) #30

I’d be like, “people, you need to step off!!!” :laughing::joy::sweat_smile:

hahaha, I don’t mind at all, I know they are concerned about my health

I really hope no one ever will dare to say that to me (okay, I am so far from that at this point).
It’s probably because English isn’t my first language but some words are odd to me. Skinny means underweight to me. I want to be slim. Not thin but that sounds okay for other people. But skinny is “skin and bones” to me, ew, nope!
I know people use this word all the time for “thin” but I just can’t get used to that. It’s something fixed in my brain. And I do know many people want to be too thin… And that’s just not good.

I want to be muscular anyway, not thin :smiley:

(Bob M) #34

I’d love to see that. I know there are trucks that basically have them, but there’s nothing like that around here. (Connecticut)

These types of CT scans are normally used for bone mass, and when I call local places about getting fat/lean mass done, they say it can’t be done. It’s software. They just don’t own it.

I paid $500 for 3, and had to drive well out of my way to get them.

I found them slightly cheaper about 45 minutes (traffic depending), instead of 1.5 hours away. But nowhere near $50.

I’d love to get one. I’m guessing I’ve gained about 10 pounds of muscle since my last one, but I’m probably way off. While I’m much stronger than I was then, most people highly overate how much muscle growth they have, and don’t realize how long it takes to get muscle. Unless you’re genetically gifted, male, and young (assuming you don’t take drugs), it’s going to take YEARS to build any appreciable muscle.