I joined the Y, now what?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #21

You fuckin’ rock! Well done, sir.

Not what I’m researching. I’m after moves that will balance out the muscles you’ve already grown. Supporting actors in your action movie, so to speak. You’ll figure out the main moves on your own, I’m here to deliver the tips I learned from the pros, the ones they won’t tell you straight out of the gate.

I can definitely help you out with the machines but I’m pretty old school with the moves, mostly because I like to target areas with precision and tweak everything separately. Also, I like the flexibility individual moves offer when changing up weekly splits and working around injuries during recovery periods. You can always switch from machines to free weights, a lot of lifters do it fairly regularly to prevent growth slumps or just because they’re bored and need a new challenge. (That would be me.)

Power lifting is a different mentality with a very different lifestyle but a good personal trainer will be able to adapt to you instead of selling himself, so make it crystal clear that you are after maximum strength with the least amount of bulk. Core stuff, man, core stuff.

I dipped in and out of power lifting, myself,* mostly because it was just so damned easy for me to increase strength (yes, I’m one of those people, and yes, your thinly-veiled envy is delicious) and I got a tremendous rush from it. The ego boost from never having to ask a man to help me lift anything was nice, too. I was regularly approached by coaches in the House of Pain boxing program at my gym but I’m a lover, not a fighter.

*Tell him I did 625 on the sled and wrist curls with 50-pound dumbbells as a 26-year-old chick, that oughta open the conversation up.

(Becky) #22

Wow! Wonderful and inspiring explanations! I’ve been on the fence about joining a new gym in my neighborhood, because there have been so many times in my pre-keto life where I was simply ‘donating’ money to the gym. I do enjoy swimming and continue to hear about the benefits of lifting weights for ketoers. I just may try it again! Thanks!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #23

@Sinker Some real gems in here about mental control. The Russian father is nuts, though.

(Mary) #24

Hi baconmecrazy,

Your 5 “things” really resonate with me. I’m 55 years old and have managed to avoid going to the gym for more than half of them. Gyms are places where one gets sweaty and uncomfortable while buff 20-somethings smirk at you while they wonder what an out of shape middle aged lady is doing in their space. Actually, I have no idea what the buff 20-somethings are thinking as they weren’t even born last time I was in a gym…

Anyway, the two words that jumped out were “avoid pain” and “pleasure”. Ok, three words… If going to the gym could actually be something I look forward to, there’s a chance I’ll stick it out long enough for it to do some good. You’re incredibly generous with your time and knowledge and I don’t want to impose further except to ask if there are any books/websites/blogs, etc that I could use to study these new (to me) techniques as I’m a visual learner. Unless, of course, you live in Edmonton in which case all bets are off.

Thank you for any suggestions you can offer.
Mary

(Karl L) #25

Man, I am so stinking weak!

(Sophie) #26

I feel ya.

I actually went yesterday to the Y for a beginners Zumba class. I’ve been wanting to go back to my first love of dance and figured that would be as close to an adult dance class that I can find in my area. And since I already have a Y membership, it’s the better option. Too bad they turned me away! My membership needs to be changed so I’ll take care of that next week. Then I can see if my knees will comply. I’m looking forward to shakin my stuff again if the cardio doesn’t kill me first! :smile:

Stronglifts have been around forever, and the program works BUT its a very quick progression into heavy lifting and isn’t a good idea for people not looking to slap on a ton of muscle quickly. You COULD dial it down but at that point you really wouldn’t be doing a SL program.

(Brenda Running Sauder) #28

Can’t say enough about Charlie mike. Free app to download. Perfect for the gym.