I hit a wall! what should i doo

(matthew otero) #1

so i hit a wall i bin doing keto for 7 weeks and the past 2 weeks i haven’t seen much of a change on the scale i lost a total of 49 lbs but im still 292 lbs should i break my keto to restart or should i change my intake

You could simply do nothing. These plateaus happen. I’d not break from keto.

(Brian) #3

Breaking away from keto would seem counter-productive.

A couple of things you could try…

1. You could add some extra fat for a day or two and see if that stimulates the weight loss. Sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but it kinda has the effect of turning up the furnace in some situations. I’ve done it a couple of times and as much as it seems like going the wrong direction, the scale did not.

2. You could try some intermittent or short term fasting. That could be anything from going from 3 meals to 2 meals or 2 meals to 1 meal a day, all the way to several days of fasting. Some even “fast” while eating only certain foods only. I haven’t done much of that, though, so others would be better sources of info there. I do sometimes find that I feel quite satisfied eating only one meal a day, though, which I guess could be considered intermittent fasting. It’s usually not intentional with me.

Riding a plateau for two weeks is not hitting a wall! You will have lots of stalls like this, and much longer, ahead of you, so just sit back and enjoy the amazing progress you’ve already made until you get rolling again. You’re at a common stall point. Nothing to be worried about.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

More fat, and also try even less carbohydrate.

And look for hidden sugars and carbs in the packaged products you buy. It is perfectly possible for the the nutrition panel to say 0g of sugar, but for sugar to be present in the ingredients list. All that means is that they’ve chosen the portion size to be small enough that the amount of sugar in a portion is under half a gram. If you use a lot of the product, that hidden sugar can add up.

Also, as the others are saying, be patient. A few weeks ago, I was stuck at just under 230 lbs. Then suddenly my weight dropped by 20 lbs.! No idea how that works, but it happens.

(Stephanie Tebbs) #6

Keep Calm and Keto On.

No need to give up keto. If you want to switch it up, try Fasting. You could also try increasing your fat and calories for a few days then go back to normal.

(Deb) #7

What others call a “stall”, I call the next step down.

Your body composition has changed; you can’t( in my thinking) continue to eat the same amounts of everything and continue to lose. It’s like restarting your diet as if you had just walked into it as a whole new person.

Now you need to recalculate your macros and calories (yes,they DO matter) for your new body LBM: your carb intake will remain the same or you can tweak it a bit, your protein needs have changed, and your fat intake will affect how much STORED fat you use for energy.

Just my thought, for what they are worth to you.

(Allie) #8

Two weeks is not a plateau, keep going and stop stressing.

(Karen Fricke) #9

If I understand your post, you lost 49 pounds the first 5 weeks, then stalled for 2 weeks. 10 pounds a week is a lot. Your body just needs time to adjust. Keep calm and keto on.

(Jeremy Storie) #10

Keep Calm and keto on!