I Feel Like Crap

(Lacy) #1

I am About to hit two weeks on Keto and Today I feel Terrible. I had A few set backs during the first two weeks but overall avoided carbs. The first few days were hard to not eat carbs but I did It. Then I felt better about what I was eating. For the most part it has been easy but a week in my heart started beating fast, it has been uncomfortable to me. I wish That would go away. Today I woke Up feeling like crap. It’s got my anxiety up and I just want to feel good or normal.

I am following a meal plan for keto to the T for the first few weeks to get in good habits. It’s healthy veggies, mixed with healthy fats and meats. I am way less hungry which is good. I dont Eat past 5 or 6. Been drinking a lot of water and putting a pinch of salt with my water. I ordered some mineral drops for my water and potassium and magnesium vitamins. I feel like I am doing everything right, I just Want to feel good again. Ugh. Any thoughts on when this will go away. It’s so odd bc it says Keto is way healthier but I dont Feel healthier and struggle with all the meat and fat eating.

The fast heart is usually a good sign your potassium is going low. Potassium is VERY hard to get up with “normal” supplements as they typically don’t have usable amounts in them. Many of us use Mortons Lite salt which is a sodium/potassium mix. If you’re iffy on your meal plan feel free to post what you’re eating and us geniuses can take a look :grin: The majority of hell when starting out is electrolytes, most don’t come close to getting what they need. You may want to track how much you’re getting.

(Lacy) #3

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I feel Much better now. The rapid heart beat has got much better and not as much. The meal plan I follow Is pretty specific and for a week, it comes with other recipes as well but I am A creature of habit so I am Sticking with the week and just repeating it. It is usually two eggs and two pieces of bacon cooked in butter in the morning, then the rest is either keto meatloaf, spinach quiches, chicken salads with avocado, goat cheese and just olive oil for dressing. There are several recipes that I have Tried, it would be way too long to write it all out.

The first week I lost 8 pounds. Just past my third week and I am A total of 12 pounds. It started to slow down. I am Wondering if that is bc I am Not hungry anymore. On most days I dont eat lunch Anymore. I eat Breakfast at 9:30 10 am, sometimes 11 am. Then I have dinner at 4 or 5 and don’t eat past 6pm. Going into intermittent fasting. Not eating again until breakfast. Maybe I need To have a little something around 1 or 2.

11am and 4/5pm sounds great and sustainable. If you’re feeling good I would stick with that for a while.
The weight loss will absolutely slow down! Just expect that. You can keep tracking your weight, but from what I’ve seen from many folks who stick to this long-term and do really well: your job right now is to keep your eye on why you want to do this. If it’s weight loss, why do you want to lose the weight? If it’s to feel better, why do you want to feel better? (what do you want to be able to do?). If it helps you can put them here. The more reasons, and the more compelling they are to you, the better.

Keep those reasons front and center, and just work on building habits that you’re happy to do forever.
That doesn’t mean there won’t be tweaks here and there, but basically you’re building a new way of approaching eating, and this is the time to really settle into that so that you continue eating this way when the newness wears off, when you hit a stall, etc.

Looks like you’re off to a great start!!

(PJ) #6

If your electrolytes (sodium / potassium / magnesium / etc.) fall low – which tends to happen without very specific supplementing when you transition to keto, due to the water drop – you will feel totally crappy.

I see you’ve resolved it and are feeling better – glad to hear it. Sometimes that can happen even to people who’ve been keto for quite some time, if they aren’t paying attention.