I can not control

(Pri) #1

I start my diet everyday. Why I am not able to stick to it this time. I did loose more than 80 pounds on on gained 10-15 back. I am not able to stick to it his time around. Anyone was/is on the same boat? How did you deal with it and started it again. I really need help with this yoyo diet felled I like I’ll gain more and more. Plz plz plz help.i even have my sisters marriage to motivate me. But everyday I end up eating junk mainly sugar by evening.
Please advice. Thanks in advance

(Edith) #2

I found that having almost no carbs at all, eating almost entirely meat and eggs, really cut down my desire to overeat. Maybe try only meat and eggs for a week or so to really get back on track.

(Susan) #3

Having just broken up with your husband after years of abuse has been very stressful for you also, Pri. I am so pleased for you that you were able to finally leave with your children and get away from that, but your cortisol levels must be playing up atm also.

I know that you mentioned in your other thread that you cannot access meat for a few months, but that you can get eggs and cheese for protein. @VirginiaEdie 's advice is awesome, but I don’t know how easy you will be able to do this due to the lack of meat available. Maybe you can do your best to stick with this with whatever proteins you are able to access that are Keto friendly. I certainly agree that it is a great idea, keeping your carbs as low as possible. Good luck =-).

Early on, cravings and hunger can be like the body having a “temper tantrum” because it’s not getting the carbs it’s used to. Feed that hunger fats and proteins, but as few additional carbs as possible. It’s OK to go over a calorie goal early on. The main thing at the start is to get rid of that carb addiction.

My “go to” is two slices of Canadian bacon on a slice of pepper jack cheese. Just fold over and eat. I find hard-boiled eggs or chaffles very filling.

When I’m craving something sweet:

(Scott) #5

Eat more fat. In the beginning when I was hungry I would eat almonds or macadamia nuts. Over time I was able to get away from snacking. I eat a big breakfast with lots of fat and feel great all the way to lunch. In the short term find a snack food that is low carb because sugar only makes you want more sugar.

I’m afraid it’s too individual to say something that probably help, experiment a little, maybe. What do you think, why you can’t stick to it? Desires? Hunger? And why those happen? It’s just too new after a carby period or maybe you still eat wrong? Too little fat, too much carbs, certain bad food items…
I go on/off keto all the time, it doesn’t bother me but I never lose fat anyway (when I first went keto, I had already little to lose, I lost much on low-carb). Low-carb is my life and it gets more and more natural and it was enjoyable to begin with, way better than high-carb. Still, I had hardships, especially on keto. I took breaks but usually low-carb breaks with good habits. I can’t imagine a rollercoaster of keto/high-carb, that sounds very bad.
So I think if you feel it is right for you, make it your lifestyle. When it’s too strict or you are weak and go out of ketosis, make sure you don’t go way too far or for a way too long time. Some more carbs doesn’t mean you can just eat tons of sugar as it’s not keto anyway… Maybe you didn’t do it like this, sorry then, some people do.
I had times when I wanted to come back to keto and somehow couldn’t. But I was close to it and it’s almost as good for me, it seems. And it happened eventually.
When I got close to carnivore, everything got way easier but I had to be ready for that, such changes came very, very slowly. I am sure keeping my carbs low and practicing my keto habits even off keto for years caused my current tiny success. It’s easy, comfortable now, my high satiation level prevent most temptation. It’s important as I doesn’t resist them.
Be patient, it may take a lot of time if you are a similar type as me, no force, no determined resistance, fight with our desires. I don’t fight. Sometimes we need a tad determination to break our current habits but too much force or too long and many of us just quit. I spent a lot of effort on finding great food that makes me satisfied and satiated. It’s important to find the food items we should avoid as well.

Good luck! I just wrote my case, maybe you need a different approach, I don’t know your situation. I was health conscious enough just to stop eating sugar one day, I never missed it BUT it was just sugar, there are so many carbs and not carby problematic food so it wasn’t easy all the time.
What if you fill yourself with some nice fatty protein? Are you still able to eat so much sugar? Maybe, I have a dessert stomach too - and great keto dessert recipes, I needed them. A keto cake is way better than a normal one. Oh yes, sometimes my mind tries to persuade my desires and it may be successful due to my health-consciousness (and I love logic).

Another thing. I desire sweets or carbs if I already ate wrong on that day. I am practically doomed then. I shouldn’t START eating wrong. I eat my fatty protein and things go well! I am invincible when really full without carbs messing with me. A tiny bit of vegetables can’t do much harm but more, and nuts and some fruit… It doesn’t matter it fits to my keto, they can mess up my satiation and control. Maybe you are different and surely at a different part of your journey. But maybe you can try to focus on very, very low-carb food when you eat your first meal.

(Edith) #7

That is a good point and probably true for many of us. My weakness is corn tortilla chips. If I have one, it turns into a meal. And then the thought process turns into, “Well, I already blew it. I might as well enjoy the rest of the day and have some cookies.” :pensive:

(Jessica) #8

This is me, to a T.

I’ve not had the life circumstances that you have @Pasta1 but I have found that recommitting has been harder this 2nd time around. The first time, I started and I didn’t even have a meal off plan until my 40th bday 4 months after starting. This time, it’s been much harder, and like you, I don’t know why. Maybe it’s thinking I can just jump back in where I left off: easily fasting, no snacks, etc. I think in the beginning, getting rid of the bad snacks (for me, corn chips) and replacing them with ok snacks like cheese and nuts is key. I’ll get to the point where I’m not snacking and can fast, etc, but I’ve got to get the carbs out, first.

Another thing that helps me is reading or watching all I can. I do so much better if I am borderline obsessive. It helps solidify in my mind on that day why I am doing this. I’m much less likely to eat that cookie if I’ve just watched a Ken Berry video :grin:.

I am very well aware that stopping is the right way, more carbs just make things worse, I even can eat a bit of a carby food and stop, most of the time - but there are trigger foods. Rare occasions. “I don’t even care” moments. “Okay, so it wants to be my crazy day in this month/season, who am I to stop it?”.
Any amount of carbs is better than even more carbs, my body managed to get through that message. It’s harder if someone is different, less motivation to stop.

I guess going overboard happens more easily if one is too strict. Stress is building and when there’s a break, it explodes. I am not strict but sometimes I feel I am and it never works for long. Freedom must happen even if I don’t desire the food and enjoyed my diet every day, just because I want to show I can’t get restricted so very much. It’s like a part of me gets control, I call it my rebel self. Almost nothing is sacred and respected if it gets very, very strong and it’s a very uncomfortable feeling.

Many people manage to restrict themselves horribly, I am not surprised they fail, even if the same diet is just perfect for another person. We aren’t another person.

(Marianne) #10

:worried: I’m sorry; that is a terrible feeling. I venture to say that every one of us has been there.

Were you on keto previously, or did you lose your weight another way? Just asking to establish if you know how to eat keto.

If yes, then you have all the tools. Start out by eating three good meals a day for 2-3 weeks - no calorie counting - so that you don’t feel hunger, keto flu or that many cravings. No processed food and no snacking. If you get beyond that point and you don’t want to eat as much or as often, then don’t. Keep the carbs under 20 and as lower, if you can. Try not to think of this as a “diet,” but a way of eating that allows you to eat deliciously and still lose weight. Try to only weigh yourself once a week.

If you aren’t familiar with keto, do the same as above except check the carb grams in each serving of food you normally eat and make sure that you stay under 20, or lower, if you can.

You can do this. Once you get a few days under your belt, you will feel more hopeful, less despondent, and you will begin to see results. Best to you.

(Marianne) #11

I came across this on FaceBook yesterday from the dietdoctor page. I think it is very inspirational and so true. We are going to falter from time to time; just try to pick back up and remember how empowering staying on plan feels.

“If you quit now…

You’ll end up right back
where you first began.
And when you first
began, you were desperate
to be where you are
RIGHT now.

Keep Going!”

(Brian) #12

If it makes you feel any better, you’re not alone in your struggles.

Some of us struggle very hard to stay on track. The temptations, cravings and desires don’t automatically fade for everyone when the carbs and sugars go away.

I think it’s been nearly 2 years since I ate a real donut. Every time I walk through the grocery store, I would LOVE to pick up a half dozen real cream filled donuts and cram 'em down the pie hole. I’m serious. I face that temptation every single time I walk into a store. It doesn’t get easier. But I refuse to give in to it. The craving doesn’t go away. But I refuse to give in to it. I’m just not gonna do it. I know from past experience what pain I’ll be in if I do it… it’s significant… but the desire… it’s still strong.

I knew a man, he was sort of my adopted grandfather, who quit smoking before I was born. From the time I knew him until the day he died, which I think was probably close to 30 years, he used to tell me the craving never, ever, ever went away. I rarely saw him without a toothpick in his mouth, which was his way of dealing with that desire to have something in his mouth. I never saw him smoke nor did I ever smell smoke on him. But I remember that he told me that for him, the craving never went away.

For those who’s cravings fade and the temptations get easy, I’m jealous. You are blessed. Enjoy it. There are those of us that will likely struggle with the temptations every day with them never going away. Yup, it’s hard. Some days are harder than others.

Anyway, hang in there. Some of us are struggling right along with ya.

:slight_smile: