“I can gain weight just smelling food” Myth or Science?

(Carl Keller) #21

LOL, classic! Reminds me of when I lived down south. Most of the country roads had an obligatory NO HUNTING sign and every redneck in the county saw it as an invitation to shoot it.

One of my top ten NPR stories ever:

Every year hundreds of moose are killed in Alaska by cars and trains. The carnage has led to the creation of a new adult education course in the town of Talkeetna, not far from Anchorage. In roadkill 101, residents learn how to butcher a moose.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1120754

(Bunny) #23

What a mouse looks like when it is genetically engineered (humanized) to have missing Leptin receptors or NOT have any Leptin receptors at all?

Quote from article in original post: “…Leptin promotes energy expenditure via increasing sympathetic nerve activity and subsequent catecholamine signaling in white adipose tissue (WAT) and brown adipose tissue (BAT), to promote lipolysis and fatty acid oxidation. In addition, cold stimulation or pharmacological activation of the β-adrenergic pathway enhances the formation of brown-like or beige adipocytes predominantly in the inguinal fat pads (iWAT) of rodents, which are characterized by a thermogenic gene expression program similar to that of brown adipose tissue, including high level expression of mitochondrial uncoupling protein 1 (UCP1). …” …More

Note: brown adipocytes (BAT) DO NOT store sugar\glucose, BAT burns (oxidizes) up sugar immediately for energy or it will start oxidizing WAT, hence beige (iron rich mitochondria UCP-1; what WAT is missing?) adipocytes.

A Ketogenic Diet Increases Brown Adipose Tissue Mitochondrial Proteins and UCP1 Levels in Mice: “…Cold exposure is associated with increased BAT amounts as well as UCP1 levels. …” “…Ketogenic diets (KDs), which contain lots of fat and little carbohydrates, have been shown to induce UCP1 protein levels in the BAT of mice (10). Associated with this increase in UCP1 is an increase in the energy expenditure of mice on KDs. …” …More

Beta-adrenergic receptors are critical for weight loss but not for other metabolic adaptations to the consumption of a ketogenic diet in male mice: “…We have previously shown that the consumption of a low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet (KD) by mice leads to a distinct physiologic state associated with weight loss, increased metabolic rate, and improved insulin sensitivity [1]. Furthermore, we identified fibroblast growth factor 21 (FGF21) as a necessary mediator of the changes, as mice lacking FGF21 fed KD GAIN rather than LOSE weight [2]. FGF21 activates the sympathetic nervous system (SNS) [3], which is a key regulator of metabolic rate. Thus, we considered that the SNS may play a role in mediating the metabolic adaption to ketosis. …” …More

Research perspectives on the regulation and physiological functions of FGF21 and its association with NAFLD

Poor little mouse.

Other than completely deleting leptin genes, there are a multitude of ways to screw with the regulation of it in the human body. Same with ghrelin. Most of these come down to the type of food we eat, a lifetime of bad habits in addition to some genetic predispositions.

(Bunny) #25

That is one—a—big and juicy mouse!

One thing I think is so significant about that entire post is the Choline and Methionine “deficiency” in that high carb or low carb, the mice still lose body fat and most likely more visceral body fat that surrounds the internal organs causing the NAFLD in other studies not cited above? And in other studies on mice the “depletion” of glutathione levels on a high fat KD diet…

Both can be replenished by eating raw eggs; rich in Glutathione and Choline, and other foods rich in Choline, and supplements like Milk Thistle that help the liver produce higher Glutathione levels… What I do!

(Consensus is Politics) #26

That mouse needs either a bucket, or just one, wafer thin, after dinner mint. :sunglasses:

(John) #27

My cats would consider that to be a wagyu mouse.

(BuckRimfire) #28

Do you have a link to more on this subject? This sounds like a factor I’ve missed out on so far.

(Not a cow) #29

facemask

Hmmmm, I see no over weight people in this picture, so maybe the theory is true ? “Street Food Filter Masks” :grinning:

(Carl Keller) #30

@Moo Well played sir!

(Bunny) #31

Here are a few:

[1] Role of Choline Deficiency in the Fatty Liver Phenotype of Mice Fed a Low Protein, Very Low Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet

[2] Mice fed a lipogenic methionine-choline-deficient diet develop hypermetabolism coincident with hepatic suppression of SCD-1

[3] The Sweet Truth About Liver and Egg Yolks — Choline Matters More to Fatty Liver Than Sugar, Alcohol, or Fat

[4] The ketogenic diet increases mitochondrial glutathione levels

[5] Fat and Diabetes: Bad Press, Good Paper, and the Reemergence of Our Good Friend Glutathione: Glutathione To the Rescue? “…The authors of this study did not measure glutathione levels, but the hypothesis that glutathione is protective is consistent with a study I wrote about in a post back in January, “Eating Fat and Diabetes.” In that study (6), high-fat diets depleted glutathione and impaired insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance in rats and mice, but treating the rats with a mitochondrial antioxidant and genetically engineering the mice to make lots of the antioxidant enzyme catalase both reversed these effects. Catalase is an enzyme that converts hydrogen peroxide to water. …” …More

[6] Biochemical Studies On The Effect Of Sodium Nitrite And/Or Glutathione Treatment On Male Rats “…Conclusion: Due to the hazardous effect of food additives as sodium nitrite, it is recommended that the use of sodium nitrite as food additives must be limited and gluathione has the ability to prevent its toxic effect. …” …More

I never eay any roadkill unless I can still make out the license plate. Make sure it is fresh!

(Consensus is Politics) #33

When I lived in the Phoenix valley there was a “Road Kill Bar and Grill” nearby. I never worked up the courage to try it out. Rumor had it in the Air Force that it was a Hells Angles hangout and we should avoid it.

Avoiding it to avoid getting caught up in FBI stings that were going on regularly there.