I am new to keto. Any tips for powerlifters?

(Ron D. Garrett) #1

Need strategies. I’m tired even after four weeks and my fatigue has come back. I’m eating well within the macros.

If it’s your first time going keto, it’s going to take your body a while to become efficient in it. Working out during that time is like putting on ankle weights to a person who is just learning to swim. Your energy just won’t be there until your body is done converting over. It took me 8 weeks before I spontaneously felt the urge to exercise. Once that hit me, I started throwing stuff in.

Yes, just seconding Powertrix on this one - it can take a while to have full access to fat stores, and I think for many folks they can hum along fine in everyday life but trying their normal exercise leaves them fatigued. But also - you’ve checked a few variations of the protein macros? I’m sure you have if you’re a powerlifter (I’m asking because I’ve been lazy keto for a while and am starting to track this week and realize how much of a range there is for protein, so it’s on my mind…).

(Ron D. Garrett) #4

Ive kept my macros on point and I’ve been on keto for about four weeks. I have tons of energy in the gym but my strength is down but that’s okay. Thanks for the kind words

(Ron D. Garrett) #5

I’ve been okay with the energy as I have tons of it and feel like I can work out all day but I have noticed a decrease in strength but that could also be because I haven’t been in the gym for seven months Lol.

I’m 50 but I can still bench 465 seven months ago and normally when I have to stop for a while I only lose about 40lbs of strength but I have noticed that since starting back during keto that I’ve lost another 30 pounds and I feel weaker.

I’m assuming that since my glycogen stores are gone and since my body is switching to burning fat that as you said it will simply take a while.
I’m in it for the long haul so it’s not a big concern Thanks for the advice.

(Ron D. Garrett) #6

And yes…those arms are for real and and yes they are 50 year old arms lol. I’m the strongest guy in my gym yet one of the oldest lol. And our gym is a keto friendly gym and our church has a lot of people going keto also. It’s a revolution lol

For me, the strenght came back after about 2 months, but its an individual thing i guess. And sodium before the training helps a lot.

:grin:

Oh, I love hearing this!

(Ron D. Garrett) #9

Thank you! I have a friend here that does cross-fit and she said it took her some time also. So the consensus seems to be that patience is a must.

(Ron D. Garrett) #10

Thank you

Yeah, most def, patience, salt and enough fat :slight_smile:

(Chris) #12

Takes about 12 weeks to fully adapt, sounds like you’re on the right track.

(Ron D. Garrett) #13

Thanks! I went to the gym this morning and again had all of the energy that I need and more. The strength will come again and I’m patient. Thanks for the encouragement!

(Ron D. Garrett) #14

Thank you for the tips.