I. Am. Confused

(Nay) #1

So I’m finding different nutritional value information for pumpkin seeds. One source I found says there’s 54g of carbs to 100g of seeds another says there’s 1.3g… (10g if you include fibre) to 100g of seeds- so I don’t know what to think!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Eat smoke cured bacon or bacon bits instead. :wink:

(Sheri Knauer) #3

You get a lot less pumpkin seeds in 100g of seed still in the shell. Out of the shell, you’ll get a lot more per 100 grams, thus more carbs

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s food composition data base states that 100 g of “Seeds, pumpkin and squash seeds, whole, roasted, with salt added” contain 53.75 g carbohydrate, of which 18.4 g is fibre. For some reason, most of the brands report far less carbohydrate than that. . . .

I would advise going with the higher figure, to be on the safe side.

(Nay) #5

I be a vegan ketoist (I don’t think that’s a word but I like it :joy:)

(Nay) #6

I used to get confused with us and UK differences in carb valuation, but then learnt that in the UK they minus the fiber from carb value whereas in the US they don’t do that.
But aside from this It’s very confusing when there’s different nutritional info about the exact same thing. I don’t understand why this is? It boggles my mind! :joy:

(Nay) #7

It’s only that us agriculture source that states the much higher car content. Everything else states it to be much lower…

(Susan) #8

Is it really important for you to have these pumpkin seeds? They seem to be quite high in carbs, for such a little amount of food, that would not really satisfy your hunger. I am wondering if you can find a much more satisfying food for the amount of carbs and calories that you would have from just having some of these is all. There are a lot of Vegan Keto options I would think, I know we have had some Vegetarian Keto people on the forum as well =). Keto is very versatile and can accomodate all different styles and preferences of eating =).

(Nay) #9

Oh no its not really important :joy: I was just wandering if anyone out there knew why different sources stated such drastically different Carb and fiber values for them. (I get a bit…ahem… obsessive about getting to the bottom of things :joy:) Thank you :blush:

(Susan) #10

Oh okay, I get it!

(Nay) #11

This suggest that more than half the nutritional value is cars? I’m starting to think it’s just wrong because no other source stats it that high.

What source shows 10 g carbs for 100g of pumpkin seed from your original post? Everything I’ve seen shows 54g carbs per 100g.

(Sheri Knauer) #13

These are the nutritional facts I get for 100g of shelled pumpkin seeds and 100g of

unshelled pumpkin seeds in Cronometer, which gets the data from the NCCDB (Nutritional Coordinating Center Food & Nutrient Database):