I am a Diabetes Warrior!

(Tammy Kidd) #1

It has been 2 years now and I want to tell my story in hope that i can help someone else. It was June 2015 when I went for my annual DOT physical. I was told that I had sugar in my urine sample and I needed to go see my physician. They would not pass me to continue to do my job. Needless to say, this scared me. Blood work at my Dr.'s office revealed an A1c of 8.0, which means my blood glucose was hanging around 200-210. Regular glucose should be between 70-100, so he informs me I have type 2 diabetes and fatty liver disease. WOW! He sent me home with a script of Metformin. I have never been a meds person so i was hesitant. My husband insisted that i needed to try it. I took that first pill and it made me dizzy and made my heart feel like it was going to jump out of my chest! I thought well my body doesn’t like this. The Dr. also said he would send me to a diabetes nutritionist. My appt with her was 3 weeks away. I decided to research this myself. I was on Pinterest and looking at “diabetic recipes” and a video advertisement popped up. It was a Dr. that had reversed her type 2 with nutrition only, no meds. I watched the video and my journey started from there. I now follow a ketogenic eating lifestyle. YES, I said lifestyle! It is not a diet. It has literally saved my life. I have met several Dr.s and great people in the last 2 years that follow this same lifestyle. I have reversed my diabetes, fatty liver and high blood pressure all by changing the foods i eat. I also lost 45 lbs! After about 6 months of Keto for me and amazing results, my husband slowly changed his eating habits to mine and he also is down 42 pounds. Back to the nutritionist…when i did go see her I was already down to around 30 carbs per DAY. She informed me that i needed 45 carbs per meal and 15 carb snacks and I should eat 5 times a day. WOW! I asked why. Her answer was so you can take your meds. Well… she sent me home after 5 minutes of arguing lol. Oh by the way, I never took any more of the meds, they went into the trash. Two years now this month since the change and I just had a complete blood work panel. It’s all perfect. Yes, all of it to include A1c, cholesterol, liver enzymes, and the whole metabolic panel of more than 50 items all within the proper ranges of healthy. My point being, you should always take your health in your own hands. We live in the age of vast information at our fingertips. I spent countless hours researching about LCHF & Ketogenic lifestyle. I want to thank some people that have educated me along the way. I still continue to educate myself everyday. Brenda Zorn is an amazing diabetes warrior. Dan Quibell that runs The Bacon Experiment. Sandy Bahr that runs Reversing Diabetes. Jimmy Moore, Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt, Dr. Sarah Hallberg, and many more. Thanks also to 2 Keto Dudes for the countless time they spend spreading the word.

New to keto, have a couple of questions, thanks!

Wow- this is just amazing. I have goosebumps!

(Randy) #3

AWESOME!!!

via Imgflip Meme Generator

HAHA! I love this
(also I can’t quite believe that nutritionist! To control diabetes, eat carbs to be able to take the meds - really?!? Could she hear herself?)

(Randy) #5

@Madeleine If you want to see something gross, click this link.

The people in charge of helping folks are living in the stone age.

(Tammy Kidd) #6

Anything backed by the ADA (antiquated diabetes asses) i refuse to read haha!!!

Yes, that’s awful :frowning:

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #8

Awesome. I’m finding there are more and more diabetes warriors out there. I’ve improved my A1c. Still working on blood pressure.

(KetoCowboy) #9

The diabetes industry can’t hear itself any better than the nutritionist. Or rather it doesn’t care to listen to itself critically–since salaries depend on not listening critically.

(KetoCowboy) #10

Hard to believe they have the cajones to ask for donations while disseminating such propaganda.

Just this morning I was listening to an old 2KD podcast - I’m still catching up! - and I think it was @richard who told the story of meeting with a diabetes counselor before he could get his blood work done. The counselor herself was diabetic and on insulin. She was actually open to hearing how he had gotten such good results, and she said she was trying low carb but then described a meal with carbs and fruit. He asked “why the fruit? It’s basically just sugar” and she said that she needed it for the insulin she was taking. :astonished:

(Tammy Kidd) #12

Exactly!!! I don’t understand the logic behind it. eat these carbs so you can take medicine…smh! Then again they are taught that our bodies have to have glucose in order to function.Granted we do need a little for certain functions but not 300 carbs a day!

(Richard Morris) #13

Yup. It was a pear. One of the worst fruits.