I accidentaly ate some sugar!

(Alex) #1

I bought a peanut butter brand famous here in Europe (Calve) that said no added sugar. I ate 2 spoons of it and thought why not google it. I found out it does have sugar! Will that throw me out of ketosis?
Anything I can do to counter it?
Here is the link:

Thanks.

(Joey) #2

Peanut butter is a fairly high carb menu item, even when it’s got no added sugar whatsoever. Food for thought.

I strongly doubt you will die. Keto on! :vulcan_salute:

peanuts have natural sugar, 3g per 2 tblspn if I remember. You’ll be okay.

I ate OMAD peanut butter with veggies for almost a year when I was younger. I did really well on that diet. I didn’t have to worry about meat, cooking, etc. It was great until the body started craving b12, vitamin a retinol, omega 3’s etc.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

A one-off experience is not likely to cause any real damage. But repeatedly, over time? That’s a whole different story!

(Alex) #5

But wont that sugar kick me out of ketosis?
I’m definitely not eating it again.

(Jane) #6

No big deal - stop fretting over it. If it did kick you out it would only be a short time and you will go right back into ketosis.

KCKO

Not if the amount is tiny enough, at least one would expect so, some people have more complicated bodies. We almost all eat sugars when we eat food, just natural ones in good cases…

And even if you got kicked out, you go back in no time if you eat properly. It doesn’t even restart fat adaptation (I was so very careful in my first keto months, I never was that well behaved eating wise! I didn’t know this back then). I understand you want to stay in ketosis but if the harm(?) is already done, don’t worry about it, it’s not such a big deal. KCKO! :wink:

(Allie) #8

And… ?
Seriously, forget it. Move on.

I’d be way more worried about the other ingredients :grimacing:

PEANUTS 85%, vegetable oil (rapeséed, soy, fully hydrogenated palm), salt.

If you have to eat PB, at least get the stuff that’s 100% peanuts with no additives other than salt.

(Joey) #9

Maybe so, maybe not. Either way, now it’s over.

If you are serious about this keto thing, this is a good plan.

BTW, although being in ketosis has been of great benefit for many of us here on the forum, we’re all still going to die someday. Relax and enjoy yourself. :wink:

(Alex) #10

I had a terrible night and called in sick today. The sugar or peanut butter definitely screwed with my system. Without getting into gross details, let’s just say the toilet and I became very close since last night… Intimately close…:nauseated_face:

(Joey) #11

Am “liking” your post for empathy, not happiness. Hang in there :roll_eyes:

(Alex) #12

Thanks. I’m trying.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

While sugar definitely screws with my system, it doesn’t have digestive effects, at least not that I’ve noticed. But peanuts and cashews, in particular, have bad effects on my digestion. Not to mention that cashews contain the same compounds that cause the rash associated with poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac, and if you get a badly processed batch of cashews, digestive effects aren’t the only thing you’re going to experience in the end. :grin:

(Allie) #14

More likely the PB than the sugar TBH.
Totally screws me over and I always get the 100% peanut type.

(Alex) #15

The bathroom adventure is over! I lost 1.5KG in 24 hours :open_mouth:, but I think it was all the liquids draining out of my body so I doubt it’s permanent, and I also barely ate as I just couldn’t. I took extra magnesium and electrolytes today as I feel worn out and very thirsty.