Hyperthyroidism and Keto

hyperthyroid

(SuzanneD) #1

I’m just curious; Does anyone have a Hyperhyroid and tried a keto diet? And if so, how’s it working? I have a hyperthyroid, my sister does, and a couple of friends and we are all threatened by the Docs to take out our thyroids or destroy it with radioactive iodine because then it will be “easier” to treat. But then we will all be hypo and stuck on medicine for the rest of our lives and the root cause is not solved. So frustrating.

(Tom) #2

Disclaimer: This is not medical advice. See statement below

I personally have not heard of anyone using keto to combat hyperthyroidism, but I am aware of people who are working on their Hashimoto’s (autoimmune hypOthyroid) with what essentially amounts to a paleo diet. There’s lots written on teh webz about that so I won’t reinvent the wheel, but you might look into that. In hyperthyroidism, antibodies are attacking the thyroid and causing it to crank out a ton of thyroid hormone, but in some cases, the disease progresses to hypothyroidism, and you’ll be on meds, anyway. :unamused: That said, I just searched pubmed for hyperthyroidism, autoimmune, and diet, and there are a few papers that appear to be investigating a connection between issues like celiac disease and other autoimmune disorders.

Thus, the “root cause” you’re searching for is maybe, possibly, potentially, some sort of autoimmune thing. But, I can’t say for sure because a) I can’t see you and don’t know your full case, and b) I’m but a medical student, and there are people who have studied AI stuff for decades and we still haven’t nailed everything down just yet. What we do seem to understand, is that some invader caused your body to awaken an immune response, having immune cells hunt and kill anything that “looks like” the invader. Problem being, this sneaky little doody-head invader was wearing a hat and shirt that looked just like the hat and shirt that your thyroid cells wear. Thus, when the immune mafia hit-men show up, they shoot first (but they don’t ask questions later. Because they’re immune cells and can’t talk). So in the end, they may have killed the invader, but there are still a ton of guys who look like the invader, and the immune system keeps hunting them down.
There’s not a lot of upside to that, but one aspect that one can be impressed by is the immune system is ignoring alllllllllllllll the cells that don’t look like the invader or your thyroid. So if the thyroid goes bye bye, so does the autoimmune attack (or so it seems to). Now, you could go in immunosuppressant drugs to stop your immune system from hurting your thyroid, but then you’re opening yourself up to every other infection known to man, and that’s really, really not a good idea.

As for routes around the thyroid ablation, you could try an autoimmune keto/paleo diet and see just how that works for you. It may take a while to see results. Diet aside, there are meds to dampen down the thyroid function, but they have some pretty nasty side effects like:
• Early toxicity (33%) - nausea, abdominal pain, dysgeusia (MC w/ methimazole) & rash
• Hepatitis or cholestasis w/ jaundice – can be fatal, liver function tests required
• Agranulocytosis (.1-.5% but MOST serious) – MC in elderly or with high-dose methimazole, problem is reversible if drug is stoped promptly so must monitor WBC counts and PT should do daily self exam for rash and/or oral ulcerations (PTU can also cause this)
PREGNANCY CATEGORY D! – Can cross placenta & concentrate in fetal thyroid. PTU less so than methimazole (causes scalp defects) & excreted into breast milk (however there is history of it being successful in lactating women)
So while I’m not defending the doc’s scramble to ablate your thyroid, in terms of which med is easier to manage, is less risky to a pregnancy or a behbeh, and which med has fewer side effects, yes, synthroid is easier than methimazole or PTU. And, to return to an earlier statement, sometimes a patient w/ hyperthyroid ends up going hypothyroid, and they end up on synthroid anyway.

To recap:

1. There is likely some sort of autoimmune component to your problem
  2. A person in this situation could try one of the autoimmune paleo/keto diets and see how that goes
  3. The root cause may not ever be adequately identified or treated.
  4. Medical management of an intact hyperactive thyroid can be not so fun.
  5. Best of luck and well wishes to you! We’re here for you!

**I am not a doctor (yet). Nothing I say should be remotely construed as medical advice. Do not start or stop any meds or make major lifestyle changes (up to and including changing the part in your hair, ironing chiffon fabric, or sorting your toothpics by size and relative sharpness) without consulting a doctor or literally anyone other than me. I am a stranger on the internet who likes to bacon things and uses pepperoni slices to scoop blue cheese dip. For all you know, I’m actually a Mongolian yak impersonating a guy with a neckbeard in his mom’s basement impersonating a genetically altered supersoldier with dolphin DNA who is currently under cover as a medical student.

(Meeping up the Science!) #3

There’s actually a not-insignificant correlate between Celiac and Hashimoto’s.

The part about the tTG-2 IgA antibodies is significant because those are the Celiac antibodies, in case you are wondering. So.

I’ve never heard of anyone “curing” autoimmunity with a ketogenic diet, or any diet, and most thyroid disease is often regarded as autoimmune in nature, whether hyper or hypo. However, by eliminating foods you have an antibody reaction to, you limit the autoimmune reaction. My thyroid antibodies were over 20,000 before eliminating several foods, and they dropped to 600ish after my dietary changes, which is not bad, actually. In theory, anyway, that could potentially halt progression. Eat the food and the reaction returns, typically.

The diet is sort of Paleo. It eliminates primarily grains, dairy, and nightshades, along with other minutiae. Keto naturally limits several foods from these groups, anyway, but dairy is annoying to go without for many.

From the article:

3.2.2. Thyroid Diseases
CD has been found at an increased rate in patients with autoimmune thyroid disease (Grave’s disease and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis), with a prevalence ranging from 2% to 7% [96–99]. This same observation has been made in patients with CD, in whom serological signs of autoimmune thyroid disease were found up to 26%, occurrence of thyroid dysfunction was detected in up to 10% of cases, and risk of thyroid disease was estimated 3-fold higher as compared to controls [3, 98, 100–102].

It has been described that celiac individuals who are following a GFD may still develop autoimmune thyroid impairment, suggesting that gluten withdrawal does not protect them [100, 102–104]. By contrast, the decrease of the thyroid antibodies after 2 or 3 years [105] or the normalization of thyroid function after 1 year of GFD has been reported in other studies [106]. These different results may depend on longer duration of GFD in treated patients with CD [107].

Increased prevalence of CD, autoimmune thyroid disorders, and T1D has been widely reported [22]. Such associations may lead to adverse effects on the growth, metabolism, and fertility, so early detection is necessary to prevent secondary complications to these disorders.

The coexistence of CD and autoimmune thyroid disease has been explained by several mechanisms such as common genetic predisposition and the association of both diseases with the gene encoding cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated antigen-4, a gene conferring susceptibility to thyroid autoimmunity. In addition, it has also been demonstrated that tTG-2 IgA antibodies react with thyroid tissue, and this binding could contribute to the development of thyroid disease in CD [98, 108].

(Tom) #4

Agreed, there’s a lot of data behind the Hashimoto’s-celiac connection. While I hypothesize that there’d be a similar connection w/ hyperthyroidism and other AI disorders, I’m not comfortable saying anything other than it seems plausible. After all, I’m just a neck-bearded yak supersoldier.

(Meeping up the Science!) #5

They are woefully understudied in general, autoimmune disorders. You should do some peer-reviewed medical research, Tom! :wink:

I agree, though. There isn’t nearly enough data, and what exists are all correlations and nothing definitive. You’d think with the amount of people developing AI there would be more of an interest. There probably isn’t enough money for drug companies in it, sadly.

(Tom) #6

Actually, the hottest area (or so it seems) of pharmacology is in monoclonal antibody drug development. There’s lots of money there, but it’ll be funneled to drugs, not dietary intervention.

(James storie) #7

I had Grave’s Disease as a teenager and had to have my tyroid removed by radioactive iodine. It was pretty severe. I’m 37 now and this is the only way I’ve found effective in controlling my weight. I have had to lower my dosage of medicine since loosing weight. I know this has to be better than the SAD diet! That being said, I hate the fact that I am resigned to a lifetime of medicine. I hope you are able to retain your thyroid. I truly believe that if I would’ve eaten this way from birth, I would’ve never had Grave’s Disease.

(Cathy) #8

The problem with a lot (if not all) research in the area of autoimmune disease is that it is done in a glucose burning framework and not keto. The differences in the way the body responds over the long term could be quite significant. I always like to point out Dr. Terry Walls’ highly publicized experience in which she reversed her auto immune disease (M.S.) with diet. I believe her protocol is not specifically keto but something very close if not that.

It is always problematic to use the word ‘cured’ because if a person were to return to former eating patterns, almost certainly, the disease would resurface. However, I do think it can be said that autoimmune disease (including thyroid disease) can be treated with diet with great success.

(Meeping up the Science!) #9

Our patients and clients will, sadly, suffer for it, in some ways. I don’t have an issue with autoimmune drugs per se, but I do think if advanced autoimmunity can be prevented by diet (a big “if” I realize) that would ultimately benefit public health the most. I work at a place that also does clinical drug trials so I understand why to some degree. Diet compliance is another matter entirely… which is why I’m a big fan of integrated allopathic/behavioral/osteopathic healthcare.

But now I’m off on a tangent, again.

(Jacquie) #10

@clackley. Dr. Terry Wahls Paleo Plus diet is her version of a ketogenic diet. :slight_smile:

(Jodi Stewart) #11

I’m hyper, I was diagnosed overseas and my endo told me to make sure I ignored the US doctors’ advice to remove my thyroid. His reasoning wasn’t really reassuring, “your thyroid is going to die eventually on it’s own anyway.”
I found that keto has helped a lot, but I also avoid iodized salt and consume a ton of goitrogens (raw cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cauliflower, flax meal), doing this surpresses the thyroid.

(Nicole) #12

I am hypo (and have celiac and another AI issue) and have been doing keto for going on two years. This winter my thyroid took another dip in functioning but I doubt my diet had anything to do with it. I started gaining weight, being a bit more tired and my temperature dipped back into the 97s most of the time. I just had to up the meds by another 30mcg to a full replacement dose. I only started treating my thyroid about 5 years ago, and this was the first time I had to adjust my meds since getting it to an ideal level several years back… It’s been pretty simple so far. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that James. Agree wish I had known better earlier and started eating healthy. Hard to turn around all those years of eating sugar and carbs :frowning: I had half my thyroid removed as a teenager and although, no one said the word graves, it was hyper and full of cold nodules. The right side has remained hyper but I’ve avoided all medicine for 20-ought years and aim to keep doing so through diet changes (new to KETO), cleanses/fasting (new to this as well, but working good so far) and other ways to help over all health…who knows we just might prove there’s something that can be done after all.

(James storie) #14

Good luck! I hope you find success. Keep calm and keto on! Haha

Yeah I have hyperthyroidism. I was diagnosed with Graves disease a few months ago and started keto a few days after. I was given the same three options most are: RAI, anti thyroid medication, or surgery. I went with the anti thyroid medication (methimazole 10mg) FWIW.

My symptoms are better (blood pressure, heart rate down), but I don’t know if it’s the medication or the diet. My decision to try keto was mainly for weight loss. I assume I’ll eventually be hypo and losing weight will be more difficult at that point.

I definitely share your frustration with treating the symptom instead of the root cause.

(James storie) #16

Wow, I was given no option! Mine had to go. Getting on the right dosage took about 6 months after the tyroid storm was over.

(Joy Cho) #17

You, my friend, are hilarious! I just learned today that I MAY have Graves Disease and possibly an issue with my liver. (Doc says it’s inflamed! ) Got more lab work done and have my abdominal ultrasound scheduled for next week. Good times!!! Keto on!!!

(I) #18

Hi, I started this Keto diet for 8th days and not showing any results. I am doing this for weight loss purposely. anybody has same experience as me? my sister who started this Keto and basically eat the same as me has lost like 3 pounds. I wonder if this Keto weight loss program just doesnt work for grave disease. Because for grave disease we have to cut down/ watch the salt intake to monitor the thyroid level…

(James storie) #19

How long has it been since you were diagnosed? Also, do you still have any of your thyroid? I was diagnosed with grave’s as a teenager. My thyroid was removed through radioactive iodine eradication. I’ve been keto for 3 years and eat as much salt as I want. This is the only way I’ve found to control my weight. Diagnosed @ 17, now I’m 38. Give it some time, don’t worry too much with the “rules”, just keep your carbs below 20 total and eat fat until you are full. I wouldn’t worry about how much protein your eating right now, you can dual that in later. Why are you limiting salt? @akuti

(I) #20

I was diagnosed 7 years ago and still taking medication to control, cause my thyroid has never reached normal level. I avoid surgery and radioactive treatment. for grave disease we have to limit the salt intake and avoid seafoods and also the seaweed. anyway I am on my week 3 and lose finally 2 pounds… going to stick with this diet…