Hyperthyroid, Graves, Methazimazole & want to try Keto -- anyone having success?

hyperthyroid

(dw_hyperthyroidsusie) #1

Hi everyone. I’m new here to these boards and I’m recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and Graves disease. I went through the existing topic thread about whether or not a keto diet could help with losing weight while on Methazimazole, or even just to help reverse the hyperthyroidism and/or graves, and while I saw some interesting comments - no one really had the answer I was looking for. Is anyone here on the Keto diet in these circumstances and losing weight? I’m getting a bit panicked because I’ve been on the meds at 30mg daily for 1 month, and now just started my second round at an increased does of 40mg daily for this next month. The hopes is that my T4 and T3 will drop enough to bring it down into a healthy zone. 30 mg didn’t do the trick, although it did drop a bit. I feel like with the 1400 calorie diet I’ve been trying to keep to and exercise, I’m not losing a pound. I’m not even maintaining, I’m gaining. HELP!

(Bunny) #2

Thought this was interesting!

Graves Disease Healed:

In April of 2013, I was diagnosed with Graves Disease, an autoimmune hyperthyroid condition. My symptoms included rapid weight loss, high blood pressure, anxiety, fast heart rate, and extreme fatigue.

My endocrinologist told me that my only options were to remove my thyroid or to undergo thyroid radiation which would permanently destroy it. I felt extremely discouraged and overwhelmed at the thought of losing my thyroid and having to take Synthroid for the rest of my life.

Given No Hope:

My doctor told me that there was nothing that I could do naturally and that this disease was irreversible. I agreed to take a thyroid suppressing medication to alleviate my symptoms, but I began to seek help elsewhere for alternative treatment. I received help from a naturopathic doctor who started me on the path to a gluten free diet, but this was only one piece to the puzzle.

I was not seeing enough results and began to get skeptical that any natural remedy would work. After several months of no positive outcome I met a friend at church who recommended I see Dr. Jockers.
…More

I am!! My numbers have been all over the place for 2 years, and I have nodules. After bad numbers again in May, I eliminated all supplements (I found from provider test results app that biotin and a few other things may throw off results, I can’t remember if it was the liver enzymes or the thyroid numbers) and started Keto June 18th. I am on 25mg of Methimazole a day, back up to my highest dosage. sigh (but I do enjoy making meth jokes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

I have not had more bloodwork done yet, so I cannot attest to beating Graves or anything like that quite yet. But I have definitely lost weight consistently since starting. IT CAN BE DONE!!! This is a chart of my loss from June until yesterday from fitbit. I am hoping that this is an indication of other numbers moving in the right direction!!