Hydration

(Luke) #1

Hi guys. I use a electrolyte I buy online to supplement hydration , but have seen a lot of influences on Insta gram ect just putting sea salt for your food in water to drink. Thoughts?

(Geoffrey) #2

My thoughts? Just do what works for you. This is your experiment. If you feel you need to supplement more or less just try it and see what works for you.
Some hardcore carnivores don’t believe in supplementation while others do.
I supplement with keto chow minerals because many people in the carnivore community claim that it’s a good thing to supplement. I started doing it because I was having some blood pressure issues (too low) and constipation. To be honest, I don’t really know if they are doing me any good. I may stop them for a month just to see if there’s a difference. My experiment.
Supposedly we can’t get the minerals like our ancestors got from their food and water so maybe it’s a good thing to supplement.

(Allie) #3

I just add salt to food and coffee, don’t worry about anything else.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Since I’ve gone carnivore, I haven’t needed to worry about anything except salt and Vitamin D.

Salt is important for a number of reasons, and one of the symptoms of a lack of sodium is constipation. The situation on carnivore is a bit different, because fat plays a greater role in keeping stools easy to pass. Some carnivores find themselves no longer adding salt to their diet, whereas others find they still need to put salt on their food.

I find that getting enough salt, plus drinking to thirst, is sufficient to keep my digestive tract working and my blood volume in the right range.

Ignore the dietary recommendations. Recent studies have shown that people are far healthier with more salt. As long as the salt tastes good, you are not getting too much. I find that listening to my body keeps me in the right range. Also, proper hydration is important. If you are thirsty, drink. If you are not thirsty, you are fine.

The sport drink manufacturers seized on Dr. Noakes’s recommendation that athletes should stay hydrated, and now we see dangerously high recommendations for fluid intake. Too much liquid can actually be fatal, if it disrupts electrolyte levels. And the most ridiculously nonsensical statement I’ve ever read was that if we feel thirsty, we are already dangerously dehydrated. That bit of nonsense has to have come from a manufacturer with a product to sell.